Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frustrated and undervalued in current role

Options
  • 03-10-2017 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

going unreg as I posted here before. In current job 3.5 years. Took a major hit during the recession, as did a lot. I'm in the job on the same salary / position since I joined. Mid-40's, degree, post-grads and loads of experience. Job market is buzzing. I have written off the last 10- years as it was survival mode, but now there's more opportunities / cash to be made.

Met my boss about 6 Months go about progression / moving up in the company - it was prompted by me. There's a vacancy now after a company reorganization - others have moved up and I'm left behind. feel it's an effective demotion, as I'm now more alighted with more junior staff than senior staff. Nothing really came of it - I;m told I have to being in new clients to progress.

Others have progressed in quicker time frames. Met again about 6 weeks ago for a performance review - again prompted by me - I'm told all going well, asked for pay rise (around 15 - 20% - that's what the market is paying), followed up with an email few weeks later, went unacknowledged. Considering options now, but giving the jobs market in my sector, I'm giving it to Christmas before moving on. Why should I stick it out any longer? very frustrated and morale on the floor with me. I really expected to be in a better place now at this stage of my life.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Go for it. Why wait till after Christmas? Get started now so you'll be in position hopefully for 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

That's the unfortunate truth of getting ahead/decent payrise these days. You have to move organistionsa.

I did it earlier this year where i was looking for a small payrise and was told under no circumstances, so I looked elsewhere and ended up with payrise 7 times what I was originally looking for. The move ended up being great too which is a bonus, much happier in new job business outside of the money aspect,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

368100 wrote: »
    That's the unfortunate truth of getting ahead/decent payrise these days. You have to move organistionsa.

I did it earlier this year where i was looking for a small payrise and was told under no circumstances, so I looked elsewhere and ended up with payrise 7 times what I was originally looking for. The move ended up being great too which is a bonus, much happier in new job business outside of the money aspect,

Great to hear. Well done, it's an unfortunate truth. Majority of the time, if you want more pay then you've to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Start looking now if you have the will to do it. Employers when it comes right down to it will take someone for granted that they believe will let them get away with it. Show them they will not get away with it any further. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

As above

Look now

It is well known that January is known for the highest number of job applications to Vacent roles

So get in there early and minimise your competition where possible

I'd just leave to be honest

Your unhappy
    Well skilled as you seem
    Not being acknowledged by management
    Long time servant
    Under paid compared to market rate

I'd simply look for a new a role / new challenge with better pay

Best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

368100 wrote: »

7 times? Wow
    Nice one !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

going unreg as I posted here before. In current job 3.5 years. Took a major hit during the recession, as did a lot. I'm in the job on the same salary / position since I joined. Mid-40's, degree, post-grads and loads of experience. Job market is buzzing. I have written off the last 10- years as it was survival mode, but now there's more opportunities / cash to be made.

Met my boss about 6 Months go about progression / moving up in the company - it was prompted by me. There's a vacancy now after a company reorganization - others have moved up and I'm left behind. feel it's an effective demotion, as I'm now more alighted with more junior staff than senior staff. Nothing really came of it - I;m told I have to being in new clients to progress.

Others have progressed in quicker time frames. Met again about 6 weeks ago for a performance review - again prompted by me - I'm told all going well, asked for pay rise (around 15 - 20% - that's what the market is paying), followed up with an email few weeks later, went unacknowledged. Considering options now, but giving the jobs market in my sector, I'm giving it to Christmas before moving on. Why should I stick it out any longer? very frustrated and morale on the floor with me. I really expected to be in a better place now at this stage of my life.

I’m not even sure why you have waited this long ? Why have you written the last 10 years off ?

Either you aren’t as good as you think you are and that’s why you were left behind or you have been taken advantage of, either way if you feel you are worth more prove it by going to market and see what happens

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the messages folks. OP here
    Cyrus wrote: »
    I’m not even sure why you have waited this long ? Why have you written the last 10 years off ?

I was made redundant in 2009 and again in 2010. Spent a few years (2010 - 2013) in temporary contract roles, some times poorly paid and all with a lot of uncertainty and stress. My first real job since the recession is the one I'm in, a "permanent" contract, bearing in mind I took it in 2014 we were still in troika / bailout mode and you were kind of lucky / grateful to have a job in the industry I work in.

The disruption over the past 8-10 years or so has lead to me not progressing in my chosen career - a lot of job hopping due to no fault of my own. My current role, I wanted to give it a go and after 3 years expected to progress. This was the conversation I had at the outset. It hasn't worked out as I expected. So I suppose now id the first time I've really sat back and reviewed my options.

My wife also has a long term health issue which is not treatable, she's got to manage it, so she works part time. I myself was also hospitalized last year out of the blue with a life threatening condition which I thankfully recovered from physically, but the mental issues of the recession. my wife's won health and mine and the strain it's put on me has probably impacted on my life in general.
    Cyrus wrote: »
    Either you aren’t as good as you think you are and that’s why you were left behind or you have been taken advantage of, either way if you feel you are worth more prove it by going to market and see what happens

Probably a combination of both. I've probably lost a bit of drive / pzazz after all that's hit me over the past few years, although my current employer has no issues with my performance - all positive.

I'm acutely aware of my advancing years - there's a perception in my own industry that unless you've made it to associate level by say mid-30's that there's something wrong. So this is something that's bearing down on me. It's a sense of missed opportunities and what I can do to better to further my own career.

My employer is definitely in recession mode - happy to give you a clap on the back, but not step up to the mark with reflecting this in salary / career advancement. So probably time to move on. I usually get a few quid of a bonus at Christmas, and to be honest that's all I'm staying for.

Advertisement