Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! End of Temporary work contract(trial) do I need to give notice?

Options
  • 03-10-2017 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I'm currently nearing the end of my 1 month temporary work contract, which is a 1 month trial. I do not want to continue working for this job but they're expecting me to stay and not give me a new contract.
    The job is not what I applied for originally, which was misleading and the workers are very rude. Hence why I won't want to continue working there.
    My questions are, am I obligated to continue working there after the last day of the contract? Do I need to give notice?
    The contract ends on the 5th which is this Thursday. The contract does not give reference to any of my questions, such as giving any notice or what happens once my contract ends.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

Don't turn up to work on Friday. You have signed no contract obligating you to work on Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kubam00

Benildus wrote: »
    Don't turn up to work on Friday. You have signed no contract obligating you to work on Friday

Do you have anything to back up your claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

kubam00 wrote:
    Do you have anything to back up your claim?

kubam00 wrote:
    The contract ends on the 5th which is this Thursday. The contract does not give reference to any of my questions, such as giving any notice or what happens once my contract ends.

I expect this is where they got that idea

nkav86 wrote: »
    I expect this is where they got that idea

The contract says "I agree to the terms on this contract and *Employee Handbook* which I have received" so there may be more about this in the handbook, but they never even showed me the handbook let alone given me one

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭nkav86

kubam00 wrote:
    The contract says "I agree to the terms on this contract and *Employee Handbook* which I have received" so there may be more about this in the handbook, but they never even showed me the handbook let alone given me one

I'd ask for that straight away, but as I'd see it you're only contracted until Thursday. I'd be informing them this week that I intend to make it my last

• Advertisement

nkav86 wrote: »
    I'd ask for that straight away, but as I'd see it you're only contracted until Thursday. I'd be informing them this week that I intend to make it my last

Contract actually started on the 6th sorry. So I think I do have to work Friday. Is there any way I can leave work earlier? If I feel like I'm being bullied, am I still obligated to work there? I have a new job lined up for Friday morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Benildus

An employee handbook is not a contract of employment. It outline policies, procedures etc that are applicable to all employees. Your working contract is between you alone and the employer.

You have no obligation to work on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

kubam00 wrote: »
    I'm currently nearing the end of my 1-month temporary work contract, which is a 1-month trial. I do not want to continue working for this job but they're expecting me to stay and not give me a new contract.

The only signed piece of paper you have is the one that says your contract ends on the 5th. In theory, if you turned up on the 6th for work, they'd be entitled to turn you away because you're no longer on their books. Good for you that you've found somewhere else to work - they deserve to lose you if they're playing silly buggers with contracts like that.

As for the employee handbook, that's just general information for employees. Procedures for taking sick leave, how many days off you get, disciplinary processes etc.

The only signed piece of paper you have is the one that says your contract ends on the 5th. In theory, if you turned up on the 6th for work, they'd be entitled to turn you away because you're no longer on their books. Good for you that you've found somewhere else to work - they deserve to lose you if they're playing silly buggers with contracts like that.

As for the employee handbook, that's just general information for employees. Procedures for taking sick leave, how many days off you get, disciplinary processes etc.

Ok, what about the legal weeks notice that I need to give? Is that waived because its a contract nearing its end? For example if I give them notice tomorrow which is Wednesday, that I want Friday to be my last day(checked the contract again, dated 6th my bad). Can they make me work until next Wednesday because they're legally entitled to a weeks notice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Has nobody in your workplace had a conversation with you about you about this? To me this is very cut and dried. They took you on for a month, the contract is up and they've not offered you another one. It's not unreasonable to assume that because the end date on the contract is 6th October, that you finish up on that day. They know you're finishing up on that day, going by the date on the contract.

Giving notice to an employer kicks into gear when they're not expecting you to leave; the notice giving them the opportunity to find someone to replace you. Out of courtesy I'd mention it but that's all you owe them. Anyway, what can they do to you? You have another job lined up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement