Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2018 NFL Draft

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,177 ✭✭✭letowski

Harold Landry set to fall out of the first which is surprising because he is arguably the best pure pass rusher and can play on 4-3 or 3-4 base fronts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Wow, Sony Michel. I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

Ravens back in at 32

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    Pats take Sony Michel did not see that coming at all and 2 from Georgia in the 1st round to the Pats.

They pretty much single-handedly won my only bet on the draft! :D

tiTPOqO.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

And Ravens take Lamar Jackson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

TOss Sweep wrote: »
    And Ravens take Lamar Jackson

Love that pick for the Ravens. Flacco has been long overdue some pressure on his spot at QB. That move brings some real excitement to Baltimore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Wow, lots of surprises there.

For the 49ers I'm not a big fan of the McGlinchey pick. I understand the need to protect Jimmy but we have two good level OTs and I believe Staley has two or more seasons left in him so I would have preferred OT as a later pick that they could work on to improve. This is made worse by so many other good player left on the board. Rumours earlier today were of discussions with the Broncos to trade their early 2nd for Brown, which would make me more happy about the pick.

Other questionable decisions were the Giants going an RB so early, Browns going for Ward, Bills going Allen, GB trading back and then forward, Patriots taking an RB so early given their usual committee system and his injury flags, and the Raiders getting fleeced by the Cardinals.

I'm sure there is plenty more but I need to get some sleep. Presume there'll be plenty of debate tomorrow here by the time I get up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Just watched the first 5 picks! would have preferred Mayfield/Rosen but cant be mad at Darnold, although I still havent got over the last USC qb the Jets drafted :rolleyes:

It's clear from the reaction of Packers fans that they've either made the dumbest move of the draft and blown it, or the smartest move of the draft and set things up for a great future. To add more clarity, each side is saying the other knows nothing about the sport...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,638 ✭✭✭phatkev

Serious amount of talent left on the board for day two, Isaiah Oliver is the pick of the bunch for me! Top cb in the draft and should have went day 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Adamocovic wrote: »
    First time I've done a mock draft. Got together with some friends and we all have done one each for first round.

Hoping I get at least one right :P

Well my mockdraft was a disaster! hahah

Although Baker was my favourite QB thought the #1 pick rumours were just that! Will calculate how many right picks I got and how many of the players I called got drafted but my word I don't think I got a single QB going to the right place haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Prefab Sprouter

JaMarcus wrote: »
    Wonder if that's a repsonse to having Von Miller, Bradley Chubb, Joey Bosa, Justin Houstin et al in your division.
    Initially all the hype with regard to the Raiders was that they would go Linebacker, either Smith or Edwards. Then the rumour mill switched to one of the DB's and then, with 2 or 3 days to go, everyone was convinced that it would be an OL, i.e. McGlinchey. When that didnt pan out trading down was a good option. I dont know much about Kolton Miller but at least Gruden/McKenzie recognise that the Raiders will go as far as Derek Carr can carry them and increasing protection for him is no bad thing. Especially the way Denver have just upgraded their Pass rush. And we now have Martavius Bryant too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

phatkev wrote: »
    Serious amount of talent left on the board for day two, Isaiah Oliver is the pick of the bunch for me! Top cb in the draft and should have went day 1

Yeah, there's loads. PFF's big board here.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-big-board-top-250-players-for-the-2018-nfl-draft

Noticeable players left:

3. Maurice Hurst (Michigan - medical issues)
    10. Josh Jackson (CB, Iowa)
    12. Harold Landry (DE, Boston College)
    17. Will Hernandez (Guard, UTEP)
    18. Connor Williams (Tackle, Texas)
    21. Dallas Goedert (Tight End, South Dakota State)
    24. James Washington (Wide Receiver, Oklahoma State)
    25. Mason Rudolph (Quarterback, Oklahoma State)
    34. Jamarco Jones (Tackle, Ohio State)

I'd add James Daniels to the list too, in terms of first round talent. Would be happy for the Giants to take him, Jackson, Landry, Hernandez, Williams or even Rudolph tbh, if they rate him highly.

Hernandez would be my guess, however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Well that was an enjoyable read lads.

I'm presuming tonight they'll just zoom through round 2 tonight in comparison to round 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Knex. wrote: »
    Yeah, there's loads. PFF's big board here.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-pff-big-board-top-250-players-for-the-2018-nfl-draft

Noticeable players left:

3. Maurice Hurst (Michigan - medical issues)
    10. Josh Jackson (CB, Iowa)
    12. Harold Landry (DE, Boston College)
    17. Will Hernandez (Guard, UTEP)
    18. Connor Williams (Tackle, Texas)
    21. Dallas Goedert (Tight End, South Dakota State)
    24. James Washington (Wide Receiver, Oklahoma State)
    25. Mason Rudolph (Quarterback, Oklahoma State)
    34. Jamarco Jones (Tackle, Ohio State)

I'd add James Daniels to the list too, in terms of first round talent. Would be happy for the Giants to take him, Jackson, Landry, Hernandez, Williams or even Rudolph tbh, if they rate him highly.

Hernandez would be my guess, however.

49ers GM John Lynch stated that they had 45 players with a first round grade - this is a deep draft class at many positions - including people who will go 4-5 round that would be 2-3 in other years.

For the Broncos I would like to see Hernandez drop to 2.40 - but wouldn't have a problem trading up a couple of places to get him. After getting Chubb, filling a gap in the offensive trenches would made this draft a win no matter who else was drafted.

Harold Landry's slide looks to be health related. His production did nose dive last year when he was carrying an injury.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/989703552556851200

Also I didn't expect Derrius Guice to fall out of the first. The rumors of GM's distrust/dislike for possibility lying about being asked about his sexuality might be true. The Seahawks picking Penny might be an indication (as good as Penny is), but Guice's style would have been very popular in Seattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Knex. wrote: »
    Giants have signed their Franchise over to Davis Webb being the future. We've holes all over the roster so there's no Super Bowl coming next year, not with a new HC, OC and DC added to the mix as well.

I'm baffled at how you could not take the trade when you consider who would have been available at 5.

If Darnold ends up being a franchise QB for the Jets, Giants will be laughed at by the NY media for the next 20 years.
    Not to worry.  My Jets have quite the history of making picks that don't turn out well.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Billy86 wrote: »
    Nah, if they traded down a few he would still be there and 1.2 is too high for a RB I reckon unless you wind up with Adrian Peterson or Barry Sanders. I'm wondering if he wasn't born and bred in NY, if they would have jumped on him there or not.

Born Bronx, but bred Allentown Bethlehem, PA...

---

Browns to be the browns and draft another qb. Just in case.
    Actually, Barkley grew up and played ball in the small town of Whitehall, PA, where I work.  Great talented, humble, and grounded kid.  I've met him a couple of times when he came into the DIY center.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭cosatron

got up early to watch a draft and then more importantly read this thread and got a great laugh. Good to have Jamarcus back and I hope billy is ok. Happy enough with packers work, picked up in some peoples view the top rated cb at 18 and the saints first rounder next year. I hope we make a move for landry today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

notobtuse wrote: »
    Actually, Barkley grew up and played ball in the small town of Whitehall, PA, where I work.  Great talented, humble, and grounded kid.  I've met him a couple of times when he came into the DIY center.

Move the Sticks podcast with Daniel Jeremiah did an episode on all the top prospects.

Locals are so proud of Barkley they had a parade for him. He showed up late for his own parade as he was working out in the gym ha!

Well as a local you already knew this :)

• Advertisement

Not to worry.  My Jets have quite the history of making picks that don't turn out well.

I genuinely hope it turns out well for you guys. Jets deserve some luck.

mikemac2 wrote: »

Move the Sticks podcast with Daniel Jeremiah did an episode on all the top prospects.

Locals are so proud of Barkley they had a parade for him. He showed up late for his own parade as he was working out in the gym ha!

Well as a local you already knew this :)
    Yup, the parade was in Coplay (small town next to Whitehall, PA).  I was working at the DIY center that day and couldn’t attend.  And back in January the Chick-fil-A in Whitehall had a Saquon Barkley Appreciation Day and everyone got a free chicken sandwich if you said ‘Saquon’ when ordering.  I was there but Barkley wasn’t.

Most people are Eagles fans in these parts.  They're not very happy he went to the Giants... their bitter enemy.

First trade of the day.

Patriots trade their conditional 3rd (95th pick) for 49ers 5th round pick (143rd pick) and Trent Brown. If he passes the medical that trade works well for both sides.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/989902941514555393

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Time first pick tonight? 11?

TheDoctor wrote:
    Time first pick tonight? 11?

12am

Hour longer in the pub!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I'm OK folks, I was out on the ledge for a bit there last night but thankfully Gutekunst traded it down for a ground floor one so all is better now!

• Advertisement

Given the main reason Damarious Randall was traded was apparently down to being a terrible teammate and that the team seemed to be lacking motivation and energy last season, that's great to see!

Day 2 is go!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Browns and Colts with a combined 4 of the first 5 picks tonight! :eek:

Paully D wrote: »
    Browns and Colts with a combined 4 of the first 5 picks tonight! :eek:

Good sign for an early trade to shake things up then, though both those teams could really use some talent injections so maybe not.

Jaysus, Jim Brown looks like he doesn't even know where he is these days.

Paully D wrote: »
    Jaysus, Jim Brown looks like he doesn't even know where he is these days.

Yeah, it's really sad - my first memory of him was the hard b*stard coach in Any Given Sunday right around the time I was getting into the sport. Though he is 82 I guess, so not as bad as some 40-something ex players being in a similar condition.

• Advertisement

The Browns fans there wondering who the **** Corbett is! :pac:

Giants apparently had the pick in a matter of seconds after the Browns announced theirs. Interesting.

Man, I miss Tuck. Some pro, great man.

Hernandez is a solid pick too. Happy with that! He's a mauler.

Corbett to CLE and now Hernandez to NYG, I wonder if we'll see a bit of a run on linemen now? I'd be all for it!

Hernandez hugging his missus like "aahhhh, nobody has to die tonight" - he's one mean looking fella!

I like Hernandez but I genuinely think the Giants would have even been better off going Nelson at #2 and RB at #34 as opposed to taking Barkley at #2.

• Advertisement

Chubb is a very good pick there, IMO.

Damn, it's going to be annoying when the Browns start winning games and no longer give us 2 guaranteed wins every single year.

Interesting, when you consider the backfield that the Browns already have. You have to trust Dorsey with RB's though!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

I feel Will Hernandez is a great pick for The Giants, They are getting a 1st round worthy OL. More protection for Manning, More space for Barkley

Post It Extreme Notes ad on Gamepass a minute ago... serious or a piss take?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

Harold Landry must have kicked a puppy.

Dont love us getting 2 guards.

miocicmma wrote: »
    Harold Landry must have kicked a puppy.
    Apparently he's been flagged by some teams for knee/back issues. Knee can be bad, back can be a killer for that position. Still wouldn't at all mind GB taking a go on him if he slides to us though (so long as we're ok with his back!).

Ad breaks are coming seriously thick and heavy so far.

Feel somewhat bad for Hyde. Could easily end up buried at the Browns now for the prime of his career. Always a risk when going to a team with so many picks.

Huge run on OL and RBs. Presume some teams with needs will be dying to move up.

Underrated player, Daniels.

Think he'll play guard for Chicago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement