Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoud causal subs be doing s & S

Options
  • 03-10-2017 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,

Can someone please tell me what the situation is for casual subs working full hours. Are we obliged to do S & S, or do we have a choice and should we get paid extra.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

No, that's for people on contracts, you should be paid for every minute you work.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

If you are on full hours, you can't get paid extra. I think if the person you are covering for is doing SNS then you are obliged. I'm not up to date with new agreements etc though but think maybe we all have to do it now unless you are eligible for the opt out? That applies to people who have been working for 15 years (I think)!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Sarah3

I'm filling in for a teacher on maternity leave. I am on the casual rate as I have chosen not to sign a contract, because it doesn't suit me long term to stay as it's a seriously long commute for me so I really came in to help out the Principal.

I have been doing S&S sine the start of the school year and most weeks I have been used 3 periods. I am on 21hr 20mins. As a causal sub I am not entitled to sick leave so why would it be mandatory for me to provide cover if I cannot avail of the scheme myself?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭infor123

I have covered maternity leaves before and was told that if the lady that was out did SNS I had to do it. I didn't think one person is supposed to be called for 3 a week either to be honest,

Would you contact union or department to get clarity? Sorry I can't confirm anything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

It is regarded as cover verbatim but usually its the supervision aspect. Never heard of someone being asked to do substitution though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Does the casual rate of pay include the S&S increase that is now part of the pay scales? Did it increase in line with the incremental scale? If the rate went up to include this then you would have to do it but if it didn't then it hardly seems fair to be expected to do it for nothing while everyone else has been paid for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

infor123 wrote: »
    I have covered maternity leaves before and was told that if the lady that was out did SNS I had to do it. I didn't think one person is supposed to be called for 3 a week either to be honest,

Would you contact union or department to get clarity? Sorry I can't confirm anything for you.

Maternity leaves should be non-casual so not quite the same thing. You can be asked to do up to 3 hours in any week up to a max of 43 hours per year.

Advertisement