Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ikea RGB now available

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭xpletiv

Pricey...

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Very expensive for Ikea...

If you have to buy the hub and controller thingy..wouldnt Hue be cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

I think the hubs will cost about the same but the bulbs will be cheaper and brighter from ikea. The hues have been around longer so may have less faults/better bui;ld quality, only time will tell.

Quick comparison. Prices from amazon for hue.
    Ikea gateway is €32 hue hub is £50

with Ikea you need a remote to complete setup so that adds €18

ikea 1000 lumen bulb is €10 a hue bulb 750 lumen is £15
    ikea E14 is €7, hue is £30 or 2 for £50 - ikea one is 2700k only
    ikea GU10 400 lumen is €7 for 2700k or €15 for cool white to warm hue GU10 is £30 or £50 for 2 @ 250 lumens

Hopefully hue will drop prices to compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭tigger1962

These bulbs now work with Philips Hue after a recent firmware upgrade. I've been using them successfully for a few weeks now. Supposedly all newer ikea bulbs have the firmware already upgraded. I'll confirm this on Wednesday night as I plan another ikea trip then. this site shows the procedure for those who already have bought the older bulbs..

https://www.smarthomegeeks.co.uk/how-to/add-ikea-tradfri-philips-hue/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭niallb

For an RGB plus ambient white bulb that's half the price of what I paid for the one ever colour Hue bulb I bought. It's an expensive area, but this one is hardly pricey.

I sucessfully paired a GU10 IKEA variable spectrum bulb with Hue over the weekend. It works perfectly.

I do have the IKEA bridge and did have to update to the latest firmware first.
    I'd pair a few of my other IKEA bulbs too, but the remote dimmer isn't supported on Hue yet, and they're too good to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

Never considered these before... I see the protocol is hackable through raspberry pi - which is good :)
    I was going to go with yeelights (since I knew how to hack them) but these are as cheap. And they have more options (GU10 etc)

Only thing is, I had a look on the web site and they don't seem to do LED strips - am i right?

Not sure what you mean by "the protocol is hackable through raspberry pi". Care to elaborate?

The protocol is ZigBee .
    No LED strips yet, but they're bound to come!

niallb wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by "the protocol is hackable through raspberry pi". Care to elaborate?

The protocol is ZigBee .
    No LED strips yet, but they're bound to come!

Yes sorry - I'm referring to the protocol over the network to the hub. What I really mean is someone has worked out/reverse engineered (or maybe its openly available) the comms and written a library to talk to the hub directly.
    A quick google threw up this;
    https://learn.pimoroni.com/tutorial/sandyj/controlling-ikea-tradfri-lights-from-your-pi

I want all my systems going through my rpi so i can cut out the cloud and use something like openhab to control everything.

Thanks - just confirming you do need the hub for what you have in mind.
    That's what I thought you meant but people have turned Raspberry Pis into FM Radio transmitters before so worth checking!

I have the Ikea Hub and am using the integration with OpenHAB2 on a Raspberry Pi. I'm then exporting the switches and dimmers as virtual Hue devices which are available to Alexa.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

niallb wrote:
    Thanks - just confirming you do need the hub for what you have in mind. That's what I thought you meant but people have turned Raspberry Pis into FM Radio transmitters before so worth checking!

That's the biggest pain in the hole with all these systems, they all talk about using zigbee and z wave etc, but you still need to fork out for the hubs in most cases or spend as much for something that wraps around rpi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

no colour lights though? thats a bummer.

emo72 wrote: »
    no colour lights though? thats a bummer.
    ???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

niallb wrote: »
    ???

No bulbs that you can make any colour. like the phillips hue for example.

emo72 wrote: »
    No bulbs that you can make any colour. like the phillips hue for example.

thats the whole subject of the thread :)
    click the link in the first post.

Advertisement