Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.NY Festival

• 03-10-2017 6:19pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

New festival for Limerick starting this week only just saw it now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

While it's great to see new festivals in Limerick I will admit that this is one that doesn't appeal to me greatly. Is it a festival on the relationship between Ireland and New York? I just don't get it! Is there anything good on the programme? I haven't managed to take a look at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

panda100 wrote: »
    While it's great to see new festivals in Limerick I will admit that this is one that doesn't appeal to me greatly. Is it a festival on the relationship between Ireland and New York? I just don't get it! Is there anything good on the programme? I haven't managed to take a look at it.

Some interesting things but i also dont get the idea or the market for it

bigpink wrote: »
    Some interesting things but i also dont get the idea or the market for it

I wonder do LCCC release information on the breakdown of the funding they give to these festivals? I ask because I see a lot of advertising for some world BBQ championships which sounds very similar to the recent food truck festival. I wonder how much money is given over for individuals to project manage these events? A lot of the festivals in Limerick appear to be the same people running them on very similar themes. I guess I.NY is something different at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

http://www.ilovelimerick.ie/iny-rhiff-secure-80k-funding/

This festival looks to have got 50k in funding just recently. Don't really get it either but any festival is good imo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

It's getting a decent bit of advertising on RTÉ Lyric FM.

The website is here: https://thisisiny.com/

Maybe it's all just a little bit high-brow for the local media.

• Advertisement

tototoe wrote: »
    http://www.ilovelimerick.ie/iny-rhiff-secure-80k-funding/

This festival looks to have got 50k in funding just recently. Don't really get it either but any festival is good imo.

I think they also received 60k from Board Failte and then 50k from LCCC? Maybe I'm wrong on that though. I'm not sure that I'm fully on board with the idea that just any festival is good. I think when festivals are funded from public money it is important that there is some transparency around how exactly this funding is being used and that these festivals are aligned with what people and local communities are interested in.

panda100 wrote: »
    I think they also received 60k from Board Failte and then 50k from LCCC? Maybe I'm wrong on that though. I'm not sure that I'm fully on board with the idea that just any festival is good. I think when festivals are funded from public money it is important that there is some transparency around how exactly this funding is being used and that these festivals are aligned with what people and local communities are interested in.

Thats shocking if true.Will they have to give a breakdown of where it was spend

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭VikingG

bigpink wrote: »
    Thats shocking if true.Will they have to give a breakdown of where it was spend

I would imagine that most of the money is spent on bringing the big names in, venues, promotion etc... and the argument is that they will recoup that money in the people it brings in and the exposure that Limerick will get... and they are probably right.

However these events never target residents. I was in Dingle a few weeks ago at the Food festival and the whole town seemed to be bought into it as well as bringing in a load of people. The BBQ event this weekend I have seen advertised it is hard to know what the deal is.. or why anyone local would be bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

A BBQ event? Why?

seachto7 wrote: »
    A BBQ event? Why?

Great weather for a BBQ!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

It's due to be 19 degrees and sunny tomorrow.

I.NY heard zero people talking about it

Anyone go to any of the events? was it an good?

Attendance numbers looked very small from what they posted on Facebook. I would like to see a new festival doing well but I can't for the life of me see the appeal in this event. Maybe its because I'm not a huge fan of NYC though much more of a London gal myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Maliboo Stacey

I went to a few events. Glen Hansard in conversation with Joseph O'Connor in the Lime Tree was excellent - nearly 3 hours of chat, music and a few laughs. Also the Damien Dempsey and Gerry Leonard interviews/gigs in Dolans were really interesting and well attended. I wasn't at the Jane Sanders talk, but I heard it was pretty good too.

I think this festival might be one to watch for the future. I know the theme might seem a bit 'odd' but there were some good events and it seemed well organised.

I went to a few events. Glen Hansard in conversation with Joseph O'Connor in the Lime Tree was excellent - nearly 3 hours of chat, music and a few laughs. Also the Damien Dempsey and Gerry Leonard interviews/gigs in Dolans were really interesting and well attended. I wasn't at the Jane Sanders talk, but I heard it was pretty good too.

I think this festival might be one to watch for the future. I know the theme might seem a bit 'odd' but there were some good events and it seemed well organised.

Sounds good.Will be interesting to see how it develops next year :)

Advertisement