Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of landlord cutting external TV/internet wire

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Lumen wrote: »
    This sort of thing.

Lets be honest here, 90% of Irish houses are brick, plasterboard and badly fitted doubled glazed windows.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Tenigate wrote: »
    This is the solution. Hire a professional to tidy up the cables. I got it done when i had to move my tv from one side of the living room to the other.. Cash in hand nixer for tv guy. Cost €150 or so incl materials (3 cables, covers, etc).., and it was a simple job as only 1 floor in the house. That's the price of doing a job properly.

Nope- this is a fresh wire going to the junction box outside- its a lot more than you moving your TV from one side of the room to the other. Its definitely a couple of hours work- and I'd say you could multiply your 150 by two or three- to get a ballpark figure of what it might cost you.

If the installer had done a tidy job at the outset instead of a rush job- this whole situation would be moot.

I'd be changing my WEP key when this all blows over. See how he likes them apples.

WEP? Lol- I don't know when I last heard of someone using WEP.

There is no need to declare civil war on the landlord and his wife- esp. if they're elderly and living next door. Life is too short.

According to the OP- the installer did a complete botch job- the cable isn't even slung in a straight line- and if it were their own house, they'd be annoyed over it. Virgin screwed up- if they'd done it right- no-one would care one iota- instead they did a shoddy looking poor job- and did a legger- with the OP's girlfriend the only one at home- and none the wiser about the job they did..........

One way or the other- the OP is going to have to sort it- its more a matter of whether this is going to be now- or at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭elperello

p to the e wrote: »
    So my girlfriend has got on to the landlord. She's better dealing with him than I am and we've made it clear that we're currently dealing with it. I think that was his worry. That he'd go off back to Spain and we'd just leave it as is. He says he'll forego the snipping for now. This is what irked me. We had every intention of putting it right but he had a complete knee jerk reaction which was to say he was cutting the wire a day after telling us to get it fixed.

What's actually funny is that my landlord lives next door when he's home for a few weeks and lives with his wife/partner. Because they're away for most of the year he didn't see the point of paying for an internet connection. By his own admission he wouldn't know how to use it (he's late 60's/ early 70's) but his wife uses it. So about a year ago she arrived at our door asking could she use our WiFi and she's been using it ever since. So if he had have cut it off then no more internet for his wife.

That's good news, you can't beat a bit of diplomacy
    Just get a nice tidy job done now and all should be well.
    Keeping his oh happy with the WiFi would be a good move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

Nope- this is a fresh wire going to the junction box outside- its a lot more than you moving your TV from one side of the room to the other. Its definitely a couple of hours work- and I'd say you could multiply your 150 by two or three- to get a ballpark figure of what it might cost you.

My tv guy did a pretty good job to be fair. New cables were required as the existing ones werent long enough. It took over an hour, maybe 2. He's an old chap (who wouldnt have a clue about internet cables), lives locally, and it was cash in hand.

I think you're about right when you say at least €300 to rectify the mess Virgin made. But if virgin aren't willing to do a good job, LL is entitled to tear out their handywork and charge op to repair damage..

Well looks like the op got things sorted anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

WEP? Lol- I don't know when I last heard of someone using WEP..

Jesus WEP.

WPS offers much better security.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Thanks for the reply. I figured as much. We're living here about seven years and I'm pretty sure we didn't sign a lease. Think the guy might be off the books. But that's probably just getting into a long winded thing that's not worth it. Thanks
    oh man..if the LL is not resident in ireland you might be liable to withholding tax. do you pay to an irish bank account?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭p to the e

oh man..if the LL is not resident in ireland you might be liable to withholding tax. do you pay to an irish bank account?

We do yeah.

We do yeah.

If the landlord has a residence here- and is retired- so his pension and Irish rental income is his only income- he may very well be tax resident here- technically the OP should be deducting witholding tax from the gross rent and submitting it to Revenue- however, its not clearcut that the landlord is non-resident for tax purposes.

The setup that the OP described where the landlord has kept a house next door (or a few doors up) that they stay in when they're in the country- raises a few question marks.

Advertisement