Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little help

Options
  • 03-10-2017 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭

I got a 54 l tank filled it added treatment left it fit two weeks , git the water tested and all ok.
    Got 2 dwarf gourami (m+f), 2 small angelfish (m+f) and 5 neon tetra.
    I’ve the heater set for 26 and the tank thermometer says 28.

They’ve been in it since Saturday. All good , 1 tetra is keeping to himself.

Anyway I came home from work and there a tetra missing and another looks like he won’t make it through the night , just keeping into the top corner and moving only now and then.

Any ideas who ate the tetra, gourami or angel? And what happened the other one? Also is it wise to replace them or are they just food for the angel fish or Gourami?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The general rule is that if a fish can fit another in its mouth, sooner or later it will.

Please read up on the ammonia/nitrate cycle as it's unlikely that your tank is properly cycled, which is probably why your tetras ate looking peaky. It's possible that the missing one wasn't eaten but died and is just behind something in the tank.

Please also check you're stocking levels, 2 gourami and 2 angels sounds massively overstocked for a 54L tank. Angels grow to 6" long and tall, and as they grow you're likely to see more fish disappear into their stomachs. 40L per fish is the recommended tank size. Gourami are also territorial and will fight each other and other fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

ted1 wrote: »
    I got a 54 l tank filled it added treatment left it fit two weeks , git the water tested and all ok.
    Got 2 dwarf gourami (m+f), 2 small angelfish (m+f) and 5 neon tetra.
    I’ve the heater set for 26 and the tank thermometer says 28.

They’ve been in it since Saturday. All good , 1 tetra is keeping to himself.

Anyway I came home from work and there a tetra missing and another looks like he won’t make it through the night , just keeping into the top corner and moving only now and then.

Any ideas who ate the tetra, gourami or angel? And what happened the other one? Also is it wise to replace them or are they just food for the angel fish or Gourami?

Also, 28c is very warm. reduce that to 25/26.

Tank shock maybe.

When you added them to the tank, did you put the bag in and let it warm up, slowly introduce water, etc?

If you just dumped them in, then that might have done it.

Angel fish are carnivours and will eat anything they can fit in their mouth. Depends how small the Tetra were.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thanks ,

I’ve turned down the temperature ( I guess the stat in the heater isn’t great)

I introduced them slowly letting them float in the bag for 1/2 hour and then opened bag and slowly adding tank water.

I guess I’ll have to rehire the Angel fish when they grow, the gouramis are dwarfs. Hopefully my wife grows to love them and is understanding when I suggest we need a second larger tank

I’ll order a water testing kit, in the meantime I’ve added some more enzymes, the sick looking tetra perked up when fed but then went back to the corner.

And miraculously the 5th tetra appeared. Honestly he had disappeared for several hours.

If possible take the angels back to the pet shop asap, just in case they die on you in the meantime.

I recommend always doing your own research on fish and never trusting pet shop staff when it comes to them. I've had some staff try to convince me to take fish I knew were completely unsuitable for my tank. Some don't care and are only out to sell you things, others are just totally ignorant about them.

I also advise doing a 50% water change, and changing some water daily for the next few days, to keep the levels of ammonia down while your beneficial bacteria colony grows.

With a partial water change do i need to let the water sit in a bucket while it the chlorine etc are being stripped out, or is it safe to change out in the basis that it’ll be diluted with the remaining water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭Mech1

Go and buy a bottle of seachem prime, use as directed on bottle.

http://www.seachem.com/prime.php

http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/Seachem-Prime-250ml/2960

Buy one of these too and change water as needed http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/Seachem-Ammonia-Alert/2995

With a partial water change do i need to let the water sit in a bucket while it the chlorine etc are being stripped out, or is it safe to change out in the basis that it’ll be diluted with the remaining water?

Always use a dechlorinator! You can get it in any pet shop.

kylith wrote: »

Always use a dechlorinator! You can get it in any pet shop.

Oh I have that, what I meant is do I need to let the water sit Overnight with the dechlorinator or us it ok to use a gravel cleaner to take out 10-20% and just add tap water and dechlorinator straight into the tank

I have Api Stress coat +

Oh I have that, what I meant is do I need to let the water sit Overnight with the dechlorinator or us it ok to use a gravel cleaner to take out 10-20% and just add tap water and dechlorinator straight into the tank

I have Api Stress coat +

I syphon water from the tank into a bucket and empty it into a flowerbed (plants love it). Then I the add dechlorinator to the bucket and fill it with tap water before syphoning into the tank.

I dont' know if it would be much of an issue to add tap waater and dechlorinator to the tank, I try to avoid putting tap water directly into the tank without at least putting dechlorinator in the tank first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭Nick Park

I have Api Stress coat +

I always add the dechlorinator to the bucket of tap water, rather than to the tank, reasoning that if it is added to the entire tank then it's going to be diluted among a much larger volume of water and so might not be as effective at removing chlorine.

Anyway, it works instantly, no need to leave it overnight or indeed any period of time at all.

Leaving it overnight would also let it cool. I always make sure that the water I'm adding to my tanks is a similar temperature to my tank water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

I dont think it matters which way around you put in the dechlorinator. I've read it works almost instantly at removing the chlorine.

I always put it in the tank first and pour the new water in after to spread it around. Never had any issues.

So we had out first funeral/ flush ceremony today. One of the tetras didn’t make it. He was the one that was ajways a loner and had one eye.

Advertisement