Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weevil 160/100

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Throwing a date out there...Saturday 8th?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Too soon for me, rather later in September.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Knobbly tyres recommendations...? 32mm...Ive clearance up to 42mm i think but may need to remove mudguards etc...
    Ive a few things in the pipeline the next few weekends but throw up a date....
    Clement x-plor from Colm already...Must google them now

The larger the better, there are a few quite rocky sections... Done on 38mm with minimal knobs and it was shaaakeeey ;) When I think of it, volume is more important than knobs, but taking big slicks would not work too well. I'm probably taking 2.25 29'ers, only because I can fit them! :D

Date to be determined later, going for 8 days touring with the kiddos tomorrow, hard to plan at this stage.....

...Mudguards? Thou shall be the mudguard, dear Sir!

Alek wrote: »
    The larger the better, there are a few quite rocky sections... Done on 38mm with minimal knobs and it was shaaakeeey ;) When I think of it, volume is more important than knobs, but taking big slicks would not work too well. I'm probably taking 2.25 29'ers, only because I can fit them! :D

Date to be determined later, going for 8 days touring with the kiddos tomorrow, hard to plan at this stage.....

...Mudguards? Thou shall be the mudguard, dear Sir!

Might be a mountain bike mission.. ;)
    Enjoy the jollies Alek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

[This year's route:

https://www.strava.com/routes/14112402

Shorter, but gnarlier! :D

Knobby tyres a must this time, sorry Sean.]

I guess I'll have to dust off the semi-slicks so...if I can find them:cool:

If you can't, my battered but still trusty Schwalbe X-ones are yours for the event :)

If you can't, my battered but still trusty Schwalbe X-ones are yours for the event :)

Thanks Alek, I got a set of the following at the start of the year after I had had problems over the winter with the stock tires that came with the bike, their classed as a 50/50 road/gravel tire, 38mm, not super knobbly but hopefully would be OK on the day. I'd ride them tubed, not sure I can handle tubeless yet.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/crosscut-at-2-tubeless-tyre-black

I'd say they'll be grand! :) But hey, they are rated as tubeless... you could run them a good few psi lower this way and this would help a lot!

If you have anything close to a tubeless rims on your bike, pop over and I'll help you seat them, while I still have that rollingscone's special blast pump :)

I'd say they'll be grand! :) But hey, they are rated as tubeless... you could run them a good few psi lower this way and this would help a lot!

If you have anything close to a tubeless rims on your bike, pop over and I'll help you seat them, while I still have that rollingscone's special blast pump :)

Wheelset is not specifically tubeless ready, I know me too well also and at some point if I did go tubeless, me, the wife, kids, house & neighbours dog would all be covered in sealant and I'd still be looking at two flat tires :o, thanks again for the offer, I'll have to be Mr. Oldschool for the moment :)

• Advertisement

Depending on the weather, I think I can make it on the 8-9th September weekend.

I'll keep an eye on the weather forecast and decide whether it is going to be Sat 8th or Sun 9th.

Which suits you better, folks?

Sunday better for me.

Also, I'd recommend starting at 6am - this would give us approx 15h of usable natural light.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/ireland/dublin

Finishing the last year's edition with a discharged front light and being able to see only the red blinky thing in the front (in places), was not exactly my idea of a fun ride ;)

colm18 wrote: »
    Sunday better for me.

Scratch that , I can't do either! The weekend after??

I don't mind as long as the weather is fine and we start at 6....... If you can guarantee both I'm in ;)

I'll go with the flow, nothing on the horizon for September weekends expect the usual push and pull with kids, 6am start OK

Cant make them weekends in September....
    29th and 30th are good but preferably the Saturday but will go with the majority(subject to signing for a race Oct 6th)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I could try and come along on the 29th. Might finally get the croix de fer out for a spin. Would Scwalbe Land Cruisers be of any use/ They're heavy and slow, but the only off road type tyre I have. Otherwise its Vittoria Voyager Hyper which I love, but not sure about in Gravel.

I'm thinking of going at later time too at the moment, need some uphill practice as I had a really lousy time recently. Just the weather seems good now....
    Vittoria Voyager Hyper which I love, but not sure about in Gravel.

Resoguy made it through on his Hypers last year to my bewilderment, but I'm not sure they are the best thing to run this year. There will be some rockish descends.... Land Cruisers will be just fine methinks.
    They're heavy and slow

So am I.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If the downhills aren't too technical, I might brave it this time. At least for part of it, even if I bail out near home!

• Advertisement

Nah, nothing technical, just some rougher stuff. Welcome aboard :}

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

I am the same, can do it later in September. Alek, the weather is supposed to be ****e for it, no? ;-)

Later in September be it so.
    Alek, the weather is supposed to be ****e for it, no? ;-)

Its hard enough as it is, but surely we can make it a Punishfest 150 if we try! :-)

:o

Resoguy made it through on his Hypers last year to my bewilderment, but I'm not sure they are the best thing to run this year. There will be some rockish descends.... Land Cruisers will be just fine methinks.

I find Hypers are fine for general forest fire roads like Cruagh and such, there a good compromise for me as I only do trails every third/forth ride and on those rides probably only ~25% is offroad, so having a tire that's suits the road better works ok. I'll be using semi-slicks this year anyway as it looks like the route contains more mixed terrain and as I don't fancy the thought of sitting on a static bike with my rear wheel sitting in mud spinning for Ireland :o.

End of September suits also :)

Ok, the weather is getting progressively wetter, so lets aim at:

22nd/23rd Sep

(I'm OK with either Sat or Sun)

and if the forecast closer to the day will show some wet sh.it on the radar, move the ride to

29th Sep

Everyone ok with this? :D

Sounds good ; I'd prefer the Saturday myself.

Knock knock, how many brave souls can attend this Saturday? :)

I'll start ;-)

1. Alek (if I won't catch anything that the kids are currently going through)
    2. Colm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

I hope to also attend if I can get out of work for the weekend. I'll confirm by Wednesday!

Advertisement