Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weevil 160/100

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Probably won't make it. Have a blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Resoguy

Probably won't make Saturday, dropped the bike off last week to get new brake pads and a few other bits, the lads in the shop spotted the frame was cracked around the seat stays, frame is covered under warranty but no word on a replacement at this stage. Weather is looking good so best of luck with it, might try do some sections of it later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FatGoat

In.

If the kid flu has gone ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Resoguy - shoite, I feel your pain! The same happened to me this year just before cycling holiday abroad... But then I had another frame to repurpose. No plan B bike?

Alek wrote: »
    Resoguy - shoite, I feel your pain! The same happened to me this year just before cycling holiday abroad... But then I had another frame to repurpose. No plan B bike?

No plan B bike , I haven't built up the back catalogue at this stage, no harm, the trails will still be there, enjoy ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Not going to make it - blew my pass/ good will for the Dying Cow, and have to be home early on Saturday now.

Ok, lets meet 6:50am at the roundabout: https://www.strava.com/routes/14112402

1. Alek
    2. Colm
    3. Sunsets On Tuesday
    4. FatGoat

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Ok, lets meet 6:50am at the roundabout: https://www.strava.com/routes/14112402

1. Alek
    2. Colm
    3. Sunsets On Tuesday
    4. FatGoat

Anyone else for this tomorrow?

Someone sign up please, Colm just can't stand my company anymore!

Forecast is looking quite good now! Still, pack your rain jackets.

50/50 now.....family pressure as usual....

• Advertisement

Someone sign up please, Colm just can't stand my company anymore!

Forecast is looking quite good now! Still, pack your rain jackets.

Well, I'll probably only see you for the first 10k or so..

Negotiations successful....see you tomorrow at 6:50.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Some day on the bike for me. Probably the toughest cycle I have ever done, as I lost a bit of fitness during the summer months due to work. It was therefore a real struggle at parts, with plenty of mental games and physical tiredness.

Route was very nice, much improved on last year. However, after the Laragh lunch stop, you can get lulled in to a false sense of security until the end of the Roundwood Reservoir trails. This part is much flatter than the rest, with the last 40k or so then being hill after hill. Indeed I was past my expiration date when I finally threw in the towel at the base to the last climb - up Three Rock.

One of those days that wasn't awfully enjoyable at times but it will be remembered as awesome. Cheers Alek and Colm18 for helping me through!

Link;
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1859091144

A picture is worth 1000 words. Here's 15000 word essay for you:

461964.jpg

461965.jpg

461966.jpg

461967.jpg

461968.jpg

461969.jpg

461970.jpg

461971.jpg

461972.jpg

461973.jpg

461974.jpg

461975.jpg

461976.jpg

461977.jpg

461978.jpg

^^^Great pics Alek, though I don't remember there being so many smiling faces , especially in the second half of the spin :-P ^^

https://www.strava.com/activities/1859015415

That was an epic day! Left the house at 6:30, got back 13 hours later. Amazing route designed by Alek, i discovered so many new roads, most either pointing straight up or down with jagged rocks aplenty. Sore all over now.

Great company in Sunsets on Tuesday and Alek, not a chance I would have finished without their encouragement.

Delighted to have done it; my main aims this year were to finish the Evil and the Weevil, so happy out now #FredGoals

jA481OC.jpg

9vgHzTc.jpg

fgjKAuH.jpg

igaqFp6.jpg

4z0PwvY.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Looks amazing and really bloody difficult in equal measure. I look forward to nabbing little bits of the route to at slow old man pace, though looking at the terrain probably more likely on MTB than CX for my skills. The edge bit around the Roundwood reservoirs looks like a real treat.

Well done to you guys, great photos and some scary looking trails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Will also be robbing some of this year's route, after doing the same last year! Interested to hear how narly Lough Dan to Military Road is?

Interested to hear how narly Lough Dan to Military Road is?

Steep uphill from the main road by the Scouting place, quite rocky descend to the valley (last 50m - shaky!). Then very easy and flat to the oak grove, then 10 minutes of carrying the bike through remnants of a freshly logged forest to the gravel road, which takes you slowly but steadily up to the Military Road. Possibly the most "adventurous" part of the whole thing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Well done lads. Might have the nerve to join you next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Ah sh1te....missed it!
    Proper excuse too.....
    Looks like fun!!

Customary under-the-bar vid

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Awesome vid! What tyres were you running for all this and what gearing? I took the small upper entrance on Masseys yesterday lunch on the hack MTB/hybrid with 2" knobblies and followed the upper edge track until blocked by the huge fallen tree and then up the other side of the river. Already plenty tough for me on those tyres with MTB gears going just about fast enough to stay upright. 160k of that will be a two or even three day event for me.

Cheers :) I was running very supple Thunder Burts 2.1" on my Vagabond, so plenty of grip and comfort, but lads on 35-38mm tyres were doing just fine! I was just ahead of them on rockier descends :) Gearing is 38t and 11-42.

You've picked the most difficult of the Massey paths, it was actually too much of a grind for CX bikes last year, so I changed in this year edition. Don't judge the whole route by this bit, 90% of the rest is way easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

colm18 wrote: »
    4z0PwvY.jpg

where is this?

• Advertisement

53°04'18.8"N 6°12'24.2"W

https://goo.gl/maps/czjRPJ35SqH2

Advertisement