Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick check on circut i have set up!

Options
  • 03-10-2017 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,
    Long time lurker 1st time poster hence the wife's account.
    I am just looking for confirmation on a set up I have at home is correct and will work before I plaster over it. All comments are welcome,
    So to give a brief description I have made a built in shelving unit in my sitting and am about to plaster I have ran wire sockets etc for what I think will work for a led spot light circut. So what I have set up is
    Took a double socket switched it to single
    Ran second cable to a 13a fused switch with 5a fuse
    Ran from that to dimmer switch
    Then around where I want my Iights I have ran a cable in circular shape both ending and finishing at dimmer switch
    I plan to use the brown and blue as live 1 and 2 also plan on using 2ug led bulbs.
    Hopefully this makes sense with my lack of proper jargon!!
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Lisaanna88 wrote: »
    I am just looking for confirmation on a set up I have at home is correct and will work before I plaster over it.

Don't plaster directly onto the cables. Conduit may be required to avoid this.
    So to give a brief description I have made a built in shelving unit in my sitting and am about to plaster I have ran wire sockets etc for what I think will work for a led spot light circut.

It would be best to use a lighting circuit but if this is not possible supplying from a socket via a spur outlet is permitted.
    So what I have set up is

Why?
    What sized cable to the switched fuse?
    Was the socket end of line?

What sized cable to the switch? Did you run an earth to the switch?
    Then around where I want my Iights I have ran a cable in circular shape both ending and finishing at dimmer switch

Why did you start and finish at the switch? There is no reason to return to the switch. How do you intend connecting at the switch?
    I plan to use the brown and blue as live 1 and 2 also plan on using 2ug led bulbs.

Not sure what you mean. I think this is beyond what you can safely do to be honest. Remember you are dealing with a potentially lethal voltage.

A blue wire should be a neutral and brown should be the phase (live). An earth cable (green yellow) should be run to each of the lights, the switch and the spur outlet.

It would be best to use GU10 LED bulbs, this means that a LED compatible dimmer must be selected.
    Hopefully this makes sense

Not really, for your own safety you should get a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lisaanna88

2011 wrote: »
    Don't plaster directly onto the cables. Conduit may be required to avoid this.

It's a stud shelving unit all cables will inside the stud I meant finishing the slabbing before plastering.

It would be best to use a lighting circuit but if this is not possible supplying from a socket via a spur outlet is permitted.

Why?

What sized cable to the switched fuse?
    Was the socket end of line?

2 x 1.5 +1mm grey cable

What sized cable to the switch? Did you run an earth to the switch?

Earth is ran same cable used for all wiring.

Why did you start and finish at the switch? There is no reason to return to the switch. How do you intend connecting at the switch?

I am running a cable from fused socket to switch.

Not sure what you mean. I think this is beyond what you can safely do to be honest. Remember you are dealing with a potentially lethal voltage.

A blue wire should be a neutral and brown should be the phase (live). An earth cable (green yellow) should be run to each of the lights, the switch and the spur outlet.

Well that clears up a good bit a lot of info I had looked at was showing to live wires going from light to light.

It would be best to use GU10 LED bulbs, this means that a LED compatible dimmer must be selected.
    Led compatible dimmer is ordered.

Not really, for your own safety you should get a professional.

What I was trying to ask in an awkward way as possible is

With my power going to fused socket to switch with Live neutral and earth to each light work. Like the way a socket circut would work???

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

2 x 1.5 +1mm grey cable
    This cable is undersized and not of a permitted type (see below).
    You really need to get a professional in before someone gets hurt. No offense intended but you are way out of your depth here.

Twin-Earth-poster-Feb-2017.jpg

This cable is undersized and not of a permitted type (see below).
    You really need to get a professional in before someone gets hurt. No offense intended but you are way out of your depth here.

Twin-Earth-poster-Feb-2017.jpg

Cool I get i have no wires actually connected yet wanted to check. If the cabling is changed is the way I said ok.

Cool I get i have no wires actually connected yet wanted to check. If the cabling is changed is the way I said ok.

To be honest I am not clear about how you intend to wire the lights or what cable sizes you intend to use. Some of the questions I asked in my first post remain unanswered. My advice remains the same.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Advertisement

To be honest I am not clear about how you intend to wire the lights or what cable sizes you intend to use. Some of the questions I asked in my first post remain unanswered. My advice remains the same.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for your help. Looked up the way I was trying to describe its called daisy chain from the fused spur?! The wires where 2.5 to the spur and 1.5 for light fittings but I know these are no good now as you explained the earth needs to be coated through the whole wire.
    Thanks sorry for confusing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Hi all,
    Long time lurker 1st time poster hence the wife's account.
    I am just looking for confirmation on a set up I have at home is correct and will work before I plaster over it. All comments are welcome,
    So to give a brief description I have made a built in shelving unit in my sitting and am about to plaster I have ran wire sockets etc for what I think will work for a led spot light circut. So what I have set up is
    Hopefully this makes sense with my lack of proper jargon!!
    Thanks

It sounds like you are making it much more difficult than it needs to be due to your lack of knowledge of even the basics. At the very least you should get advice from an electrician and have him check anything you do before plastering over it and definitely before connecting anything up and switching it on.

Anyone can make a light work but making it work safely is the reason why electricians need to undergo apprenticeships.

Advertisement