Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Plus fare - standby for earlier flight

Options
  • 03-10-2017 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭

The Aer Lingus Plus fare gives an option for standby for an earlier flight.

Has anybody ever taken advantage of this? How do you go about getting it? If you have checked in online and arrive at the airport with a few hours to spare can you be reallocated to an earlier flight if space is available?

Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've not done it on a Plus fare but I've blagged it for free or upgraded a fare for it before. No matter how you've checked in, just go a desk or the ticket agent if no desk is open and ask. If there's seats open its unlikely to even be standby; you'll probably get a seat number there and then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Yeah just pop to the ticket desk and ask

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

Might try it tomorrow if I get to the airport early enough.

Booked to go to LGW. Would you be put on a LHR flight if that was the next available one or is it limited to the airport you booked to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Booked to go to LGW. Would you be put on a LHR flight if that was the next available one or is it limited to the airport you booked to?

I'd say the airport switch unlikely unless they were heavily overbooked but can't hurt to ask.

I've done it before in Heathrow on a regular ticket. Usually a situation where I've finished up earlier than expected in London. I think if they need your later seat they're happy to do it but on another occasion they said I could change for a fee + fare difference.

It's a nice option to have on a frequent route like LHR or could also be a benefit from places like JFK and BOS where are there are two evening flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

This really only works for DUB - LHR

Its long been policy to put people on earlier flights if space available. Frequent flyers in the lounge in DUB/LHR can get this arranged in seconds or even get offered directly if there is any delay or other problems

Just head to the ticketing desk and ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Downsey77

Hi,
    I've done this numerous times at MAN, GLA & EDI as well, no issues at all, just flash the Aer Club card or mention that you're on a Plus Fare.  
    On one occasion the flight was showing as full (ATR72) but check-in guy told me to hang around the boarding gate just in case (I'd gone through on the my original boarding pass). 
    Fortunately there was a no-show and they swapped me at the gate. 
    It's a really handy perk, especially if the later flight is a lot cheaper than the one you actually want to catch in the first place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Downsey77

Hi,
    I've done this numerous times at MAN, GLA & EDI as well, no issues at all, just flash the Aer Club card or mention that you're on a Plus Fare.  
    On one occasion the flight was showing as full (ATR72) but check-in guy told me to hang around the boarding gate just in case (I'd gone through on the my original boarding pass). 
    Fortunately there was a no-show and they swapped me at the gate. 
    It's a really handy perk, especially if the later flight is a lot cheaper than the one you actually want to catch in the first place ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not a chance of getting LHR with a LGW ticket.

Might spot you with the camera tomorrow so ;)

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Not a chance of getting LHR with a LGW ticket.

Might spot you with the camera tomorrow so ;)

Didn't think so, but just wanted to know the policy and any restrictions behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

I have just booked the basic fare but and flying out on the last flight to LHR from Dub on Friday. Do you think if I head to the airport early I could get on an earlier one?

I am a Silver member, not sure if this would make any difference!

Also is it the ticket desk or the check in desk that you would request this at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

In Dublin or Heathrow check in can deal with this, elsewhere ticket desk

As a silver just roll up without having checked in already at the Aer Club check in and ask

To end the story I arrived in DUB at 1430. Went up to the ticket desk and asked if I could transfer from the 1730 to the 1550 LGW flight.

Done there and then. No issues at all.

I have just booked the basic fare but and flying out on the last flight to LHR from Dub on Friday. Do you think if I head to the airport early I could get on an earlier one?

I am a Silver member, not sure if this would make any difference!

Also is it the ticket desk or the check in desk that you would request this at?

Did you get a free change?

Have to fly back on 24th December and temped to chance a change on basic fare because I expect many flights will be heavily booked so paying an extra 40 quid for the option and no guarantee isn't exactly appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

I was offered a swap from LHR to LGW in the past, arrived at the lounge quite early and was ready to make myself comfortable when I was approached by the lounge agent and asked what part of London I was travelling to and if I wanted an earlier flight to LGW. I wasn't even on Plus Fare but I am an Aer Club member.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Did you get a free change?

Have to fly back on 24th December and temped to chance a change on basic fare because I expect many flights will be heavily booked so paying an extra 40 quid for the option and no guarantee isn't exactly appealing.

Yes arrived at the airport early and got a free change no problem. Interesting considering the earlier flight was over 100 dearer when booking. Of course there is no guarantees that there will be space on the earlier flight though.

I know its old but this week I was told Plus tickets are transferable between both LHR/LGW if there is availability. I didn't test it this week as I found out to late but I am surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 SavageSpuds

Hi all. I'm just wondering does anyone know if you're on an early morning flight on a plus fare would it be possible to get on the same flight the evening before using standby or does it only apply to flights on the same day? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

I was always told taxes are higher on LHR pax than LGW, IE the airline will be out of pocket if they switch you. I once turned up at T5 in LHR on an ID90 from Gatwick as the LGW flight had been cancelled. BA accommodated me but gave me a telling off.

A few years ago I was booked on the 2nd EI DUB-LHR of the day. I was there very early and they offered to put me on the earlier flight gratis. I took the offer.

Post edited by HTCOne on

Advertisement