Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant id please

Options
  • 03-10-2017 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

What is this plant?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Its a castor oil plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Yep, Castor Oil Plant, possibly the variety "Red Giant" (Ricinus comunis "Red Giant") - there are however a lot of red leafed varieties.

Grow from seed each year as an annual, ideally you need a greenhouse/pollytunnel to get it started early and growing well before planting out but can be raised on a window sill.

I don't like to rant about plants that are toxic because most of what you read is hysteria, I would however mention that there is a hint in the plants name Ricinus. One the other hand Castor Oil isn't know for being toxic and there are very few cases of poisoning from the seeds. I just think its worth mentioning so kids don't end up in a situation where they could pick up and eat what looks much like a broad bean seed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

castor oil plant?? i thought you were taking the mickey

....em does it actually contain castor oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, the seeds have the oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

looksee wrote: »
    Yes, the seeds have the oil.

Thanks a lot look see. That pic was taken by a friend on holiday in Norway last week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement