Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends want to buy!so what to do,about EA

Options
  • 03-10-2017 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi.
    I've two estate agents who are supposedly trying to sell my house, one has it for 10mths and the other for 5mths. When I first put the house up for sale it came very close to going sale agreed but now I haven't heard anything from either EA in almost 3months.
    Friends of ours who have stayed in the house in the past, are saying they are willing to pay the full asking price they will be back from UK at the end of October to have a last look and make the deal.
    If I make a deal here myself where do I stand with the EA?
    Will they be looking for money?
    I'm not happy with them to begin with so should I tell them to take house down now and if deal with friends falls through put it back up with different EA?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It all depends on what's in the contract you signed. The EA's did spend money advertising the house so they'll need to be reimbursed for that at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Del2005 wrote: »
    It all depends on what's in the contract you signed. The EA's did spend money advertising the house so they'll need to be reimbursed for that at least.

To be far 5-10 months is a rediculous time having a house for sale. Current average is 21-28 days. Look at your contact, ditch them and sell privately and both just get solicitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Mirror game

Del2005 wrote: »
    I'll get the contracts and have a look, but will be very slow to pay unless it's in writing. The 10mth guy only ever put it up on daft.ie under the red line but he did manage to get 6 viewings and the only buyer to make a bid.
    The other 5mth guy did some advertising but only had one viewing in the first few days and never contacted me again, I'd ring him every few weeks and he always would say same "I've a viewer on the way" but he never got even a second viewing in almost 5 mths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

To be far 5-10 months is a rediculous time having a house for sale. Current average is 21-28 days. Look at your contact, ditch them and sell privately and both just get solicitors.

If a house is taking that long to sell I doubt it's the auctioneers fault, either it's priced too high, in an area no body wants or a house nobody wants. A person who stayed in it previously is the only interested party, that should tell the op something.

The contract will lay out the terms agreed to by the op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

I'll get the contracts and have a look, but will be very slow to pay unless it's in writing. The 10mth guy only ever put it up on daft.ie under the red line but he did manage to get 6 viewings and the only buyer to make a bid.
    The other 5mth guy did some advertising but only had one viewing in the first few days and never contacted me again, I'd ring him every few weeks and he always would say same "I've a viewer on the way" but he never got even a second viewing in almost 5 mths.

Have you considered that the price was too high? An EA can't drag people in off the street, advertising on daft is about as much as they can do and to be honest, that's the main portal for buyers to view properties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The price is too high, or its in a area where there,s a small population
    , a small no of potential buyers .
    Your house maybe too big or too small for potential local buyers or maybe too old.
    A house is like a painting its only worth what someone will pay for it.
    pay for advertising costs ,take it off the market and sell it to your friend.
    look at houses on the rte 1 tv program, on buying houses,
    Even the ones in dublin maybe get 20-30 people looking at the house.
    the houses are usually sale agreed in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Mirror game

davo10 wrote: »
    If a house is taking that long to sell I doubt it's the auctioneers fault, either it's priced too high, in an area no body wants or a house nobody wants
    It's an eight year old B3 house finished to reasonably high standard it's location is the main selling point the ideal location is the first line on both EA's daft.ie advertisement. It's about five mins from large urban center.
    I first talked to 3 EA's they all put the same value on it 450k
    I got offered 390k
    After 2 months that offer backed out so I waited 3 more months and no other offer
    I dropped to 390k to try get some interest got 4 viewings and no offer.

At one point I asked a friend to ring about my house, one EA couldn't be reached the other said was he was busy now and would call back but never called back. Is being unreachable the EA's fault?
    Is the incorrect value their fault?
    davo10 wrote: »
    A person who stayed in it previously is the only interested party, that should tell the op something.
    their the ones going to get paid 6k for their professional service of selling the thing, they've every buyer in that range in this region to work with, yet the 1 person I know who was only considering buying is coming to me because they can't pass up on the great value deal!
    What do you think it should tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

From being on the buyer side of things, i've a very low opinion of Estate Agents. Never available, never return calls, can't show houses, lost keys, multitudes of dubious stories.

I'd wait until the friend actually comes home and makes that offer officially. Then sell privately.

Out of interest what would happen if ea 2 sold the house. Would ea1 look for some refund?

Advertisement