Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Location for a stag/ski weekend over St. Patrick's weekend

Options
  • 03-10-2017 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations for a location for Thr - Mon over St. Patrick's weekend.
    - Priority sking, all been before and are just using he stag as an excuse to get a long weekend in. All in mid 30's about 10 guys. We will only use one day as a 'stag' and enjoy the sking the rest.
    I see flights into Munich are cheap right now. Anyone know of a good resort within 2 hours or so commute? Also probably needs to be a good snow location for that time of year.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Mayrhofen is a good bet. Or perhaps St Anton or Ischgl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

maddness wrote: »
    Mayrhofen is a good bet. Or perhaps St Anton or Ischgl

I'd second those recommendations, Zurich and Memmingen are two other airport options if you are considering St Anton or Ischgl. Can't go wrong with either resort.

Would only really consider Mayrhofen from Munich airport, also I would consider staying further up the valley in Gerlos or Konigsleiten. Both locations are in the same valley/resort as Mayrhofen but higher up, the skiing is a little more challenging, quieter, potentially cheaper with ski in/out options of your accommodation. The party would definitely be in Mayrhofen but you could just bus it for the 'stag day' :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Soll is good if you have the snow and they are big into Paddys day there so will be good craic. On the early flight you can (if organised) be on the slopes by lunch. Cops very active on that road FYI, don't speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Jesper

Rew wrote: »
    Soll is good if you have the snow and they are big into Paddys day there so will be good craic.  On the early flight you can (if organised) be on the slopes by lunch.  Cops very active on that road FYI, don't speed.
    I've been to Soll before. Nice resort - great bar just at the end of the the main slope on the cross roads into town! 
    We've also been to Solden twice. Really great resort and good town to go out in. I'll definitely look into Mayrhofen, St Anton and Ischgl. I've heard St. Anton is great but a bit expensive. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Mayrhofen for sure. 7am flight to Munich on Friday morning, 8pm flight home Monday. 2 full days skiing and 2 half days. You can get a bus to Zell am Ziller and ski towards Gerlos if you want to try that are. It's well worth it.
    Mayrhofen is a great party town. Check out the Harakiri Lifestyle hotel. Great rooms 60m from the main lift.
    We do this trip every year but a day longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Jesper wrote: »
    I've been to Soll before. Nice resort - great bar just at the end of the the main slope on the cross roads into town! 
    We've also been to Solden twice. Really great resort and good town to go out in. I'll definitely look into Mayrhofen, St Anton and Ischgl. I've heard St. Anton is great but a bit expensive. 

St. Anton has that famous Moose Bar place, stuck my head in the door once and left straight away! Absolutely jammers and crazy. The skiing/ boarding there is great, especially if you like off-piste.

Les 2 Alpes could also be a good spot for a stag, has great nightlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Jesper

cormee wrote: »
    Jesper wrote: »

St. Anton has that famous Moose Bar place, stuck my head in the door once and left straight away! Absolutely jammers and crazy. The skiing/ boarding there is great, especially if you like off-piste.

Les 2 Alpes could also be a good spot for a stag, has great nightlife.

Just to close out. I went with Mayrhofen (thanks to above reviews) because it has a great mix of slopes/apri/good intermediate options and not to far from airports. We got 10 flights for €96 each (all in) and we can get private return transfers for €750-820. Hotels were a worry and got a bit panicky because of price and Air B&B and apartments wanted full week bookings. 
    In the end I just found using the local sites (Tryol/Zillertal) FAR better for accommodation. A lot more work because you had to email the accommodation directly but they were generally prompt in getting back. So I got two apartments that can hold up to 5/6 each 8 minutes walk from center. Taxes and cleaning included came to €2040 for 10 people for 4 nights. We will get passes and ski hire when we are there. Anyone looking for advice let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

Soll is amazing on Paddy's Day, I've posted about it in here before, if you do a search you might find the pics :-)

Advertisement