Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Majorca 312 2018

Options
  • 03-10-2017 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭

Registration opened today.

Anybody planning on taking part?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Sunsets On Tuesday

Saw a feature on it in the "cyclist" magazine. Looks interesting, But damn tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Did this the past 2 years but going to give it a miss this year great event and great variety of distances to suit all,going to Flanders this year for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭AmboMan

I registered but not 100% sure I will be going. Depends on time off work etc will know for definite in a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I spent a long weekend in Majorca in August and did a few spins around Calvia which really gave me a bug for cycling in Majorca. It is easy to see why it is used as a base by some teams.

I am planning on doing the 225 k route, so I have about six months to prepare.

Can anyone recommend a good turbo :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Second half of the route looks flat and boring imho.

• Advertisement

terrydel wrote: »
    Second half of the route looks flat and boring imho.

I think it looks flat, because there are some pretty heavy climbs early on. I've only done the Es Capdella to Piugpunyent stretch and there is nothing flat or boring about that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Last 60k of the 167 and 225 routes anything but boring. The route runs through hamlets and farmyards like a tour of Flanders to some extent and includes a few nasty little humps. After the earlier climbing it is a welcome respite.
    The descent to Soller is a highlight earlier in the route, 15km on closed roads.
    The locals turn out in huge numbers in Selva and Arta (312 route) to cheer the participants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

There are very few sections of that island I'd call boring to cycle on!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cats pyjamas

Exiled1 wrote: »
    Last 60k of the 167 and 225 routes anything but boring. The route runs through hamlets and farmyards like a tour of Flanders to some extent and includes a few nasty little humps. After the earlier climbing it is a welcome respite.
    The descent to Soller is a highlight earlier in the route, 15km on closed roads.
    The locals turn out in huge numbers in Selva and Arta (312 route) to cheer the participants.

I loved the section towards the end with the zig zag roads. Looked fantastic with groups spread out in front and behind.

I did the 167 this year and planning on the 225 next year. The crowds in Selva were brilliant but I'll probably never make it to Arta during the sportive - 312k beyond my capabilities. Have seen videos of the party there and it looks mad.

Arta is well worth a spin on its own as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

I'm doing it - did it last 2 years and enjoyed it - i head out friday week before and cycle for week and finish with this - might be last year doing it- based on numbers now -as potentially getting too big

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Discussed this with a mate. You'd be there for the most of 3 days to do the event and we both came to the conclusion that we'd rather spend 3 or 4 days in Majorca any other weekend for about the same money and spread the 3-400k out over the whole time. After the former you might not want to look at your bike again for a month, whereas the latter would be a big shot in the arm to your pre-summer form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Overthere33

My wife bought me this for my birthday going to do the 312. Most I've done is 180km so will be doing a fair bit of training over the winter. Looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Won't be doing this, but will be heading out to Mallorca shortly enough. Hoping to get a day or two of cycling in. Based in Palma. Anyone any recommendations for bike rental?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Was in Palma Nova a couple of years ago for a week and I know our bikes were delivered to us from a place in Palma so a quick google should throw up some results......usual choice of alu/carbon bikes to hire and rental rates were pretty good as I recall (€110/120 a week for carbon)

For the M312 do you usually bring your own bike or just hire one?

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Bike hire is very good in Mallorca, wherever you go.
    I would suggest bring your own saddle is sufficient and you can rent there. Cost of bringing own bike €120 plus extra cost for transfer of bike box €10/15 each way depending on location.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

I've brought my bike (and another) and squeezed both into back of a rental.

For same price, and less hassle I've rented the other 4 times. Brought own saddle, pedals, saddlebag though.

Won't be doing this, but will be heading out to Mallorca shortly enough. Hoping to get a day or two of cycling in. Based in Palma. Anyone any recommendations for bike rental?

I used these guys http://www.libertysport.es/en/bicycle-hire/road/

They are in Illetas, which is just to the south west of Palma.

excellent bike shop and excellent service

What about training plans? I'm googling them at the min but if any of ye know of some good ones would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Stevieg2009

Bike experience Mallorca are very good to hire from deliver to any location also which is handy but I’d be booking now if i were you

• Advertisement

Get plenty of miles in over different terrain, if I’ve something like a 200Km sportive coming up I try to get the equivalent km’s every week even it composes of commute and one long spin. I’ll try to do the same for this by hitting 300Km in the weeks coming up to it. I’ve ordered The Time-Crunched Cyclist: Racing-Winning Fitness in 6 Hours a Week, 3rd Ed. (Time-Crunched Athlete) from Amazon (probably a waste of money)

Exiled1 wrote: »
    Bike hire is very good in Mallorca, wherever you go.
    I would suggest bring your own saddle is sufficient and you can rent there. Cost of bringing own bike €120 plus extra cost for transfer of bike box €10/15 each way depending on location.

Bringing a bike really isnt worth the hassle imho, if you can rent a decent one where you are going.
    The benefits of bringing your own bike just doesnt get even close to outweighing the benefits of renting. No lugging a big heavy box around, no reassembling a bike, no worrying about the bike going missing/being damaged in transit, rental is often cheaper when you consider cost of renting a box and the 100euro plus to get it onto the plane over and back. You then have to either pay to get it transferred to your base for the trip or rent a bigger car to accomodate the bike box.
    Bringing a bike is a pain in the hole to be honest. Unless you are a pro, renting is fine once you can get a good bike in your size, dont fool yourself into thinking not having your own bike with its setup will make any appreciable difference unless you are racing.

What about training plans? I'm googling them at the min but if any of ye know of some good ones would be great.

Loads of hours, loads of kms.
    Simple.

Training Peaks have a 300km 12 week plan. €60 for package, not sure if it’s any good or if anyone here has experience using Training Peaks.

Advertisement