Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas boiler- landlord or tennent?

Options
  • 03-10-2017 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

We seem to have an issue with our gas boiler going into fault mode. The fault corresponds to an issue with the pressure according to the manual. Is it the landlords responsibility or ours to get it looked at? ive been away the last few days and only got back today. Housemates have said there was no hot water Since Sunday.

The same issue happened last week but when I reset the boiler it worked fine until Sunday I'm guessing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,350 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Landlord’s, not a point of debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 hanky2016

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Landlord’s, not a point of debate.

Thanks for the fast reply. I'll contact landlord tomorrow morning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

As a landlord, it’s a landlord issue unless the tenant done something to cause the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

As a general rule, tenant should take care of issues they cause, otherwise it's the landlords responsibility unless directly specified in the lease (E.G. mowing garden)

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Landlords problem, though the boiler could just need topping up (if the pressure is registering as too low). In my year of renting, it's been the most common reason for the heating not working. There should be 2 closed valves underneath the boiler. When both are opened you'll hear water flowing, and should see the pressure needle rising. Bring it up to 2 bar and shut the 2 valves. Try out the heating again and see if that helps.

That said, if in doubt about the above, just get the landlord to resolve it.

• Advertisement

As a general rule, tenant should take care of issues they cause, otherwise it's the landlords responsibility unless directly specified in the lease (E.G. mowing garden)

I know that. I've been renting for years now. First time I've ever had an issue with the boiler. I don't see how us as tenants would have caused the low water pressure hence why I specifically asked weather it was us or the landlords job to fix.

Landlords problem, though the boiler could just need topping up (if the pressure is registering as too low). In my year of renting, it's been the most common reason for the heating not working. There should be 2 closed valves underneath the boiler. When both are opened you'll hear water flowing, and should see the pressure needle rising. Bring it up to 2 bar and shut the 2 valves. Try out the heating again and see if that helps.

That said, if in doubt about the above, just get the landlord to resolve it.

Is that easy an easy thing to do? I'd be afraid I'd make it worse. If that's the fix then I'm sure the landlord could do it himself and save the cost of a plumber calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

hanky2016 wrote: »
    Is that easy an easy thing to do? I'd be afraid I'd make it worse. If that's the fix then I'm sure the landlord could do it himself and save the cost of a plumber calling.

I have a gas boiler and have had to do it a couple of times. It's easy to do and if you have the manual it should explain how to do it. If that doesn't fix it, go with the landlord's plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

kceire wrote: »
    As a landlord, it’s a landlord issue unless the tenant done something to cause the problem.

If the tenant caused the problem, I might want to recover the cost from them but no way would I leave it up to them to sort it out - too serious as regards health & safety for the landlord not to engage the RGI to look at it. Tenant might choose to fiddle with it, not a good idea.

Marcusm wrote: »
    If the tenant caused the problem, I might want to recover the cost from them but no way would I leave it up to them to sort it out - too serious as regards health & safety for the landlord not to engage the RGI to look at it. Tenant might choose to fiddle with it, not a good idea.

Exactly why I don't want to go near it myself. I'd prefer a professional who knows what to do. I'm not confident to do it myself. Only thing I did to the boiler was push the reset button which the manual said to do. I wouldn't dream of going at any other buttons/settings on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭allybhoy

The water pressure just naturally leaks out over time, similar to putting air in a tyre etc, its nobodys fault, just a result of usage and time.
    Very common issue that takes 2 seconds to fix, You will have a valve usually located in your hot press on one of the pipes, in newer apartments its usually black plastic but can also be like a little metal handle. Get somebody to stay at the boiler and look at the gauge open the handle for 5-10 seconds, you should hear water entering the system and if you have a water pump this also might kick in... Get the person looking at the boiler to shout just as the needle hits 1 then close the valve. If you turn the valve and nothing happens, then its the wrong valve...move it back to its original position and try another one.

Once this is all done, id also recommend you bleed every radiator thoroughly as there may be air in the system.

Im not a plumber btw, Im an accidental landlord and have done this lots of times without issue... there really is no need to call out a plumber its a simple fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Hi, problems with the gas boiler would be the landlords job to fix.

If the pressure loss is a once off you can probably fix it your self but we had the same problem in our apartment last year.

We reset the pressure a few times and it was grand, eventually called the landlord and plumber and it turned out that there was a small leak somewhere.

Advertisement