Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long is frozen meat good for

Options
  • 04-10-2017 8:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I recently found some mince in my freezer that was frozen on the day of purchase but is marked use by March this year. If I defrost it's still good to use, no?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

simo28 wrote:
    I recently found some mince in my freezer that was frozen on the day of purchase but is marked use by March this year. If I defrost it's still good to use, no?

Yes perfect to eat. I ate chicken fillets last week that were frozen since November 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

How long is a piece of string - depends on the freezer, and also on the type of meat and the conditions it experienced prior to freezing - but if it's decent deep freeze, I think they say 12 months or so to cover themselves (manufacturers that is) but in reality some meats will stay good for at least a few years (the type that lasts a while out of the freezer anyway, like ham for example)
    If it's just a crappy ice box type freezer, then I wouldn't be too keen on it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭simo28

Its a seperate freezer to my fridge. under the counter type that is in my utility room. Works great so it looks like I'm making lasagne tomorrow. Thanks for the replies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

It's probably perfect if it has been in a proper -18 deep freeze the whole time. The only damage I see on most meats which have spent a good few months in the freezer is a bit of freezer burn, which is very easy to remove cleanly when the meat is still half-frozen. In my experience, frozen meat itself lasts well for far longer that the usual 'eat within 6 months' would suggest, but any fats attached are less reliably good - usually a lot longer that 6 months though.

Just saw your last post - if it's mince there might be dryish bits around the edges which it might be worthwhile to chop off before you use it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 40watts

Think of how long you last in a glacier. A 5,300-year-old Bronze Age iceman nicknamed “Ötzi” popped out in 1991 - as fresh as a daisy. The 6 month rule is a good example of of our 'better be safe than sorry' society. Its a bit like saying that you should shower once a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

40watts wrote: »
    Think of how long you last in a glacier. A 5,300-year-old Bronze Age iceman nicknamed “Ötzi” popped out in 1991 - as fresh as a daisy.

but did they eat Ötzi after they thawed him out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 40watts

I'll wager Ötzi was smelen of Troy but as every dumpster diver will attest, don't let smell put you off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A neighbor gave us three large carrier bags of meat (chicken, pork, beef) from her freezer for our dogs that was all at least a year past its BBD. While the dogs got most of it I can tell you the stakes and a couple of beef joints were still very good :) and tbh it was all perfectly OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

loyatemu wrote: »
    but did they eat Ötzi after they thawed him out?

Not that I know of, but some guy did eat some mammoth. He got in trouble, but I don't recall hearing he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I've often wondered did Siberian villagers ever dig up a mammoth and think "yum".
    Yes, I occasionally wonder strange things, so what:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement