Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook Pro to Ipad Pro - pro's n Cons??

Options
  • 04-10-2017 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

I currently had a mid 2012 Macbook Pro unibody. I have 16gm ram and a 512 ssd.

I am considering replacing it with an Ipad Pro(same specs as above) and I would like to hear peoples thoughts on this.

I use my Macbook mainly for...

Surfing the web
    Streaming/watching films
    Social media
    I also use Vuze Torrent so curious to know if this would work on Ipad?

The main reasons I am considering the Ipad is its portability as I will be going back to study in the next 12-18 months and the thoughts of lugging the MBP around bug me. The camera function as well as recording function would be beneficial to my line of study too.

Are there any limitations should I look out for with the Ipad Vs the MBP?
    Is it future proof, how many years should I get out of it before they upgrade it!?
    Is it possible to hook up an ex HD to transfer files, I assume I would need a special dongle for this?
    Also, I have read about the new file system with the latest IOS, is this similar to how the filing system works on the OS on the MBP?

Lastly if I go ahead with the purchase I will be buying from the US and having it brought home at Xmas, is there anything I should look out for here wit respect to buying from the US (wattage/charging etc)

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any advice!

frAg

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

If you're going back to college are you not likely to be wanting to do more than surf the web and watch movies? Like write assignments, take notes, etc.

The file system on iOS is not at all like a regular file system. It's more a way to view various cloud based file systems from what I can see. You also can't use flash drives to swap stuff which can be really handy.

Torrenting on an iPad - if even possible - I suspect is a nightmare that might involve jailbreaking and all sorts of messing.

As for portability, why not a MacBook Air or just the Macbook 12"? Neither of those are exactly heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Thanks for your reply.

With regards the study its more of a practical course, it will require some note taking but wont involve assignments but it wold be handy to be able to record (both audio and visual)

Regarding your point about flash drive, is this the case with a dongle too? As in could a flash drive be connected using an attachment?

I will have to look into the file bit in more detail too, thanks for the heads up.

Good point about the MBA and or the 12"MB, I will have to take those into consideration.

Dades wrote: »
    If you're going back to college are you not likely to be wanting to do more than surf the web and watch movies? Like write assignments, take notes, etc.

The file system on iOS is not at all like a regular file system. It's more a way to view various cloud based file systems from what I can see. You also can't use flash drives to swap stuff which can be really handy.

Torrenting on an iPad - if even possible - I suspect is a nightmare that might involve jailbreaking and all sorts of messing.

As for portability, why not a MacBook Air or just the Macbook 12"? Neither of those are exactly heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Cocobongo

Microsoft word and excel works perfectly fine if it’s just for assignments and etc - i use pad for work and really
    Suits me using the case with keyboard for it

Torrenting - true about the jailbreak, although it’s an easy process as long as your software version is jailbreakable - i use torrent a lot with my ipad and there not much messing once you get the jailbreak done

Also you have the new file system with the iOS11 that is very convenient and also the microsoft office products would always ask where you want to save your files to : “one drive” “ipad” etc

In my opinion the OP doesnt do much, so ipad will suit him just fine

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

There are USB drives now which will connect to iOS devices. There are a few to choose from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »

Thanks for this, explained a lot. Was just talking to a friend in the states who swapped from MBP to iPad Pro with similar usage to myself and she said she did not regret it, I think I will go with the iPad.

One last question, does anyone know how to identify which model has the 16gb ram, every time I see specs on a website it does to mention it at all? I can see info Re 512 sed, processor etc but nothing about RAM?

Thanks again

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

frag420 wrote: »
    Thanks for this, explained a lot. Was just talking to a friend in the states who swapped from MBP to iPad Pro with similar usage to myself and she said she did not regret it, I think I will go with the iPad.

One last question, does anyone know how to identify which model has the 16gb ram, every time I see specs on a website it does to mention it at all? I can see info Re 512 sed, processor etc but nothing about RAM?

Thanks again

frAg
    Both iPad Pro only have 4gb of ram.
    iOS is a different file system altogether and doesn’t require 16gb ram etc. Apple always tend to lag behind android in relation to ram but then again iOS is highly optimized with the hardware so tends to get away with it.
    To be honest for college i’d be picking the MacBook over the iPad for multiple reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

You want to get it for your course but only to record audio and video. Your phone can do this, although your lecturer might not be willing to allow you to do either.

An iPad pro sounds like a very expensive solution to a non existent problem.

Its a drama course so I will be expected to record audio and visual for rehearsal reasons, critique & feedback so it is an issue. I will also need it to take notes. As I would be moving about a lot between studios and locations it needs to be portable. The course is in NYC so I will be moving a lot around the city.

As for expense its pretty much the same if not a bit cheaper than a MBP so thats a non issue!

Thanks for your helpful reply....

Sent from my Iphone:D
    Pelvis wrote: »
    You want to get it for your course but only to record audio and video. Your phone can do this, although your lecturer might not be willing to allow you to do either.

An iPad pro sounds like a very expensive solution to a non existent problem.

Thanks for your reply.

The reason I was asking about 16gb Ram was that I saw it mentioned on a few sites and I want to get the most bang for my buck so to speak.

EG: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-MPL12B-iPad-12-9-Inch-Tablet/dp/B072NHNB8G/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_107_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PEBPYYRTMNCQWX64TVYS

So is this incorrect or incorrectly advertised? I am not saying you're wrong, I just want to get a definitive idea before I make a purchase!

Also with respect to your last sentence, what do you take into consideration when deciding on a college laptop/tablet? Obviously I am basing my decision on the fact I am not doing a typical academic course, would be curious to hear your thoughts!

Thanks again

frAg
    Blazer wrote: »
    Both iPad Pro only have 4gb of ram.
    iOS is a different file system altogether and doesn’t require 16gb ram etc. Apple always tend to lag behind android in relation to ram but then again iOS is highly optimized with the hardware so tends to get away with it.
    To be honest for college i’d be picking the MacBook over the iPad for multiple reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Like I said, your phone is perfectly adequate for recording. Notes can be taken with a pen and paper. Both are far more mobile than your laptop or iPad, mobility being the main reason for purchasing in the first place.

A guy in my course takes notes on an monstrosity of an iPad. Looks ridiculous.

Get it if you just want and iPad, but you don't need one at all based on the reasons you outline here.

Like I said, your phone is perfectly adequate for recording. Notes can be taken with a pen and paper.

It is, but I prefer to watch things on a larger screen and its not 1998, when was the last time you wrote a letter instead of an email eh?
    Both are far more mobile than your laptop or iPad, mobility being the main reason for purchasing in the first place.

Obviously:rolleyes:
    A guy in my course takes notes on an monstrosity of an iPad. Looks ridiculous.

Opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one! Wonder what he and everyone else in the 21st century thinks about your pen and paper?
    I take it you are not studying English grammar?
    Get it if you just want and iPad, but you don't need one at all based on the reasons you outline here.

I will get it. Tell me the top reasons for getting an Ipad according to you, genuinely curious!?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I just hope you're not going to be one of those people who sits in front of you in the audience shooting video on an iPad so you have to watch the performance on their screen. ;)

In terms of video and playback, will there be any editing, sharing, cataloging going on - or is simply shoot and watch back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭vinnycoyne

frag420, tone it down a little.

vinnycoyne wrote: »
    frag420, tone it down a little.

Apologies!

I just hope you're not going to be one of those people who sits in front of you in the audience shooting video on an iPad so you have to watch the performance on their screen. ;)

In terms of video and playback, will there be any editing, sharing, cataloging going on - or is simply shoot and watch back?

It would be in a small studio/classroom setting, no audience apart from fellow classmates who will be doing similar.

To begin with there wont be any editing, this may me needed once we move into project work but not a real necessity at this stage.

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

EG: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Apple-MPL12B-iPad-12-9-Inch-Tablet/dp/B072NHNB8G/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_107_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=PEBPYYRTMNCQWX64TVYS

So is this incorrect or incorrectly advertised? I am not saying you're wrong, I just want to get a definitive idea before I make a purchase!
    That ad is very wrong! iPads also do not run Mac OSX, they run iOS like the iPhone (albeit, with iPad specific enhancements compared to the iPhone version)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Johnmb wrote: »
    That ad is very wrong! iPads also do not run Mac OSX, they run iOS like the iPhone (albeit, with iPad specific enhancements compared to the iPhone version)

Yep,apart from macs no iPAd has 16gb ram.

Thanks for this! I actually called the Apple store earlier to check and they said the same!

@ Pelvis - Apologies for being a dick earlier, stressful morning!!

Johnmb wrote: »
    Blazer wrote: »
    Yep,apart from macs no iPAd has 16gb ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

1 week in and no regrets here. I replaced my 2012 MBA with a 256GB 10.5" iPad Pro (iPP). The main criteria for me was portability. I know the MBA is not exactly heavy but it was heavy enough walking 6km a day. I can't feel the weight of the iPP in my bag.

My main uses for the MBA on the go were some light web development, image manipulation, FTP, web based SaaS and so on. The iPP can do all of this so I'm happy. That said with the 256GB iPP, smart keyboard and pencil, the price wasn't that much off a new MBA. In my case I had a bundle of Amazon vouchers to use so it made sense to buy the iPP from them.

It's my first iPad since the iPad 2 and I'm genuinely amazed every time I pick it up. It's fast, screen is fantastic and does everything I need. I'm liking the Workflow app where I have it set to download a Torrent file whose link is saved to the clipboard. It saves down to Dropbox on the iPP. Dropbox sync's it back to a Virtual machine on my Windows PC at home (VM for VPN purposes) and qBittorrent automatically picks it up and downloads.

The MBA is now a stay-at-home machine docked to a keyboard, monitor etc. I'll considering retiring it next year with an iMac or something.

• Advertisement

So I ordered the iPad Pro 10.5 512gb today...no going back now ha ha!!

thanks for all the advice

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Ron Burgundy II

So I ordered the iPad Pro 10.5 512gb today...no going back now ha ha!!

thanks for all the advice

frAg

Can I ask how you're getting on with the iPad Pro?

I was recently at a conference where a guy next to me was taking handwritten notes on an iPad (and occasionally taking photos of the presentation and annotating over them) unfortunately didn't get a chance to talk to him about it. I'm heading back to college to start a masters in September and this note taking capability could be really useful and backing up to the cloud.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I was recently at a conference where a guy next to me was taking handwritten notes on an iPad (and occasionally taking photos of the presentation and annotating over them) unfortunately didn't get a chance to talk to him about it. I'm heading back to college to start a masters in September and this note taking capability could be really useful and backing up to the cloud.

Based on my experience with a surface pro and iPad I'd go for the Surface Pro for what you had described.

godtabh wrote: »
    Based on my experience with a surface pro and iPad I'd go for the Surface Pro for what you had described.

I discounted the surface pro, as I have a number of Apple devices and assumed it would be easier to just to add an iPad for messaging, emails, documents etc., would easily transfer between all devices.

But maybe I was wrong to discount the surface.

Also, I was considering buy from the Apple Refurb page to keep costs down

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I actually started a PhD last september and I'm hoping to basically go paperless for the whole thing. If all you want to do is take handwritten notes directly then you don't need a pro model. I got myself the new ipad (not pro, came out earlier this year) and an apple pencil and honestly it's the best thing I ever did. I bought the Notability app (you can take photos and annotate over them in app, it back up to the cloud service of your choice) and now i basically have all my college notes with me, along with all my academic papers and books, no matter where I go.

It's genuinely been a game changer for me.

I actually started a PhD last september and I'm hoping to basically go paperless for the whole thing. If all you want to do is take handwritten notes directly then you don't need a pro model. I got myself the new ipad (not pro, came out earlier this year) and an apple pencil and honestly it's the best thing I ever did. I bought the Notability app (you can take photos and annotate over them in app, it back up to the cloud service of your choice) and now i basically have all my college notes with me, along with all my academic papers and books, no matter where I go.

It's genuinely been a game changer for me.

What you have described is what I'm looking to achieve.

I've lost some previous college notes due to someone dumping "old folders" when we moved office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Definitely go for it, especially if you’re already in the Apple ecosystem. Even if I forget my iPad I can still look at everything on my phone and Mac.

If you can wait Apple do often have back to college deals, you may get extra money off or a free set of headphones etc. it’s unlikely you’ll get the newest model refurbed yet (I may be wrong) but the only regular iPad model that has pencil support is the 2018 one. I’ve tried taking notes on other tablets with different styluses but writing with the pencil is incredibly close to pen and paper.

Best of luck with the masters!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've a MacBook Pro, iPhone, iPad and Watch so fully submerged when it comes to apple just find the Surface Pro for that type of thing. When I did my MBA I tried using the iPad. Just wasnt practical.

Thanks, Baby & Crumble. And best of luck with your PHD.

Godtabh, I'll venture into Harvey Norman and try surface pro and ipad. But I'm leaning towards the ipad due to price.

• Advertisement

Hi Ron,

I am enjoying my Ipad. Having said that I have not used it to its true potential yet as the study has been postponed for a year.

I am mainly using it to read books, surf the web on the move, watch movies on my commute or travel etc. I am sure I will get more value from it once I commence my studies.

Sorry I cant be of more help just now,

frAg

Advertisement