Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest way to pay a UK credit card from Irish bank account?

• 04-10-2017 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi, I've moved to Ireland from the UK, but I still have a UK credit card balance which I make monthly payments to. I'm trying to find an easy way to make the payments in sterling every month - although I still have an active UK bank account, it's not currently in use. So I'm having to get a relative to withdraw sterling from my Irish account every month, and then pay it into my UK credit card. Is there an easier way to do this that I am overlooking?

I thought I had found a solution in the PostFX mastercard from an post, beacuse I would be able to load sterling on it from Ireland, but then I realised that my UK credit card company probably won't accept a payment from another credit card. Any suggestions would reallly be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Revolut (load in € to your revolut wallet, pay in £ to your credit card company). Advantage, you can pay exactly the amount you need with no cost and good exchange rates showing your name as sender.

Transferwise/currencyfair, (pay to them and they pay to your credit card company), danger is that that the payment is not showing in your name and hence it might cause questions with your credit card company.

Drive up to belfast and pay it at any bank branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jenmckm

Great thank you, I'll have a look at that. I had been looking at the transferwise website earlier today, but Revolut does sound like it would be more straightforward, so maybe that would work better for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Jenmckm wrote: »
    Great thank you, I'll have a look at that. I had been looking at the transferwise website earlier today, but Revolut does sound like it would be more straightforward, so maybe that would work better for me.

Before you pay the full amount via Revolut make sure you do a test transactions to ensure that the full reference number your credit card company might need is transmitted. Nothing worse than chasing after funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jenmckm

Yeah I think I'll try transferring a smaller amount first to make sure it goes through okay and to get an idea of the timescale for payments. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Advertisement