Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity - Equalizer

Options
  • 04-10-2017 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hi, we have been on the equalizer schedule for the last 9+ months and all going smoothly.

However, since July we have had a Nest installed by Electric Ireland which now means we no longer use the immersion - Ever!.  Also, we have made a concious effort to not use our Dryer at all either.  I would imagine this would mean our bills would be considerably down on what they used to be.

I can only presume the equalizer is based on an estimate. I would be interested in seeing what the actual bill should be every month as opposed to the sum I pay.  How can I get this?

Best wishes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi georgewickstaff,

Thank you for getting in touch.

After approximately 12 months, the Equaliser is reviewed in accordance with the customer's actual usage (ESB Networks still read the meter, and this is the information which is used). The Equaliser is then adjusted if there is a significant discrepancy between usage and Equaliser payment.

The only way to find out your actual usage on an ongoing basis is to cancel the Equaliser and return to a standard bill every second month. If you would like to do this, contact Customer Service on 1850 372 372 to organise it. If you have over-paid, the credit will be deducted from your next bill total.

ESB Networks aim to read the meter for most bills. When they cannot read the meter, they calculate an estimate and send this to the customer's billing company. Whenever a bill is estimated, we recommend sending in a meter-reading immediately to cancel this estimation. A bill is due for payment in full two weeks after its date of issue, however if the customer would like more time to pay it, we can set up a payment plan of up to eight instalments if the customer contacts us to request this.

If the customer pays by direct debit and needs a payment plan, we recommend that they contact us upon immediate receipt of the bill, in order to give the bank sufficient notice that the direct debit will not be going out as originally scheduled.

If you have any further queries, please let us know.

Kind regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Hi georgewickstaff,

Thank you for getting in touch.

After approximately 12 months, the Equaliser is reviewed in accordance with the customer's actual usage (ESB Networks still read the meter, and this is the information which is used). The Equaliser is then adjusted if there is a significant discrepancy between usage and Equaliser payment.

The only way to find out your actual usage on an ongoing basis is to cancel the Equaliser and return to a standard bill every second month. If you would like to do this, contact Customer Service on 1850 372 372 to organise it. If you have over-paid, the credit will be deducted from your next bill total.

ESB Networks aim to read the meter for most bills. When they cannot read the meter, they calculate an estimate and send this to the customer's billing company. Whenever a bill is estimated, we recommend sending in a meter-reading immediately to cancel this estimation. A bill is due for payment in full two weeks after its date of issue, however if the customer would like more time to pay it, we can set up a payment plan of up to eight instalments if the customer contacts us to request this.

If the customer pays by direct debit and needs a payment plan, we recommend that they contact us upon immediate receipt of the bill, in order to give the bank sufficient notice that the direct debit will not be going out as originally scheduled.

If you have any further queries, please let us know.

Kind regards,
    Una
    Hi thank you, that makes sense! Can I read the meter and send in the readings? I know the bill wont alter but I suppose it just gives me an idea!

Also, I'd like to move my gas service to Electric Ireland but I'd like a monthly bill equalizer like my electricity. Is this possible?

And sorry for all questions, I read in the newspaper it is possible to volunteer for a new 'smart meter' that is online.  Can I put my name down for one?

Best wishes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi georgewickstaff,

You are very welcome - we're happy to help. Ask away!

You should still be receiving a bill, even though you have the Equaliser set up. And yes, if you send in a meter-reading whenever your bill is estimated, the Equaliser will continue as normal, but a corrected bill will still issue. If you send in a meter-reading between scheduled bills also, this will generate an interim bill (which will still not have to be paid, due to you having the Equaliser).

Gas Equaliser is indeed also available with Electric Ireland. Contact the Sales team on 1850 30 50 90 to switch your gas to Electric Ireland and find out what savings you could avail of. Allow a period of time for the switch to go through, then contact Customer Service on 1850 372 372 to set up your gas Equaliser.

The Smart Meter is not electricity provider specific - these meters will be installed by ESB Networks, at all homes and businesses, to replace the existing ESB Networks meters. A Smart Meter trial was already held - we are unsure regarding the newspaper piece you saw. Do you have access to it still? In any case, the people to contact regarding Smart Meters are ESB Network and the CRU - Commission for Regulation of Utilities (formerly CER - the Commission for Energy Regulation).

If you have any other queries, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Una

Advertisement