Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost social security number from US please help!!

Options
  • 04-10-2017 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi I am hoping someone can please help me. I lived in the US on a J1 visa for a year about 6 years ago. I have been offered a new job but I cannot start until I get police clearance from the US which requires the last four digits of my social security number. For the life of my I cannot find the card anywhere or any old pay slips etc! I know I had it a few years ago but have no idea where it is now. I sent a letter a month ago to have this replaced but that will take another month or so to come back and that's even before I can apply for the police clearance! The new job needs someone to start work soon so I'm terrified they will not take me on now as I've nothing signed with them as it's all based on my clearances. I am not a US and I am living in Ireland. Hoping I've have some options.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭dennyk

Check your US tax return for that year, it should have the SSN on it. Other than that, unfortunately there's no other way to obtain your SSN except waiting for the Social Security office to issue you a new card with the number; they can't provide it over the phone or via other means for security reasons. (I suppose hacking a major US credit bureau and steal your info from them would be another option, though... :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sublu

dennyk wrote: »
    Check your US tax return for that year, it should have the SSN on it. Other than that, unfortunately there's no other way to obtain your SSN except waiting for the Social Security office to issue you a new card with the number; they can't provide it over the phone or via other means for security reasons. (I suppose hacking a major US credit bureau and steal your info from them would be another option, though... :pac: )

Hi thanks for getting back to me! Literally just tore the house apart looking for a tax return. Actually think I did it online but it was worth a try anyway! I'd say I'll just have to wait it out. Thanks for your reply!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Sublu wrote: »
    Hi thanks for getting back to me! Literally just tore the house apart looking for a tax return. Actually think I did it online but it was worth a try anyway! I'd say I'll just have to wait it out. Thanks for your reply!!)

IF you did the tax return online, did you not get a copy in your email?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Sublu wrote: »

If you did it online and had to set up an account is there an email address you consistently used back then?

If so you'd have used that email address to set up your online account with the IRS and could try logging in with the email and than clicking the "forgot my password" link - it might get you onto their site and then you can find your SSN number online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭dennyk

Most likely the OP would have used a third party tax preparation service. The IRS doesn't have a handy online tax management service like Revenue here do; you get to pay third party companies to file your taxes for you every year (or do it by hand on paper yourself and hope you don't forget to carry a one somewhere...).

OP, you could check with your tax preparer if you remember your login (or if you still have access to the email account you used to sign up so you can reset it). The odds that you'd be able to access a six-year-old return online are slim, but it might be worth a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 girflu

You can get it from the US embassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

dennyk wrote: »
    Most likely the OP would have used a third party tax preparation service. The IRS doesn't have a handy online tax management service like Revenue here do; you get to pay third party companies to file your taxes for you every year (or do it by hand on paper yourself and hope you don't forget to carry a one somewhere...).

OP, you could check with your tax preparer if you remember your login (or if you still have access to the email account you used to sign up so you can reset it). The odds that you'd be able to access a six-year-old return online are slim, but it might be worth a shot.

Balls, that was a trick I use a lot with years old registrations.

@OP - can you remember the name of the 3rd party firm or would you have any letters from them? Maybe you would have passed over the letter becasue it didn't say "IRS" or "SSN"

(I'm clutching at straws on your behalf aren't I????)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Who did you work for in the US, maybe there is an accountant/HR department that could find it in their records if you explained and begged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sublu

IF you did the tax return online, did you not get a copy in your email?

Ive searched my emails and don't have it. What a disaster!

• Advertisement
Advertisement