Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New motherboard

Options
  • 04-10-2017 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

I need a new motherboard as my old one is goosed. I don't really know anything about motherboards and how much it matters what I get for the parts I have, I'll list them below. I do plan on upgrading my cpu, ram and graphics card hopefully within the next year so maybe something that I can use with a 1070 or 1080. Any help is appreciated.

cpu - i5 3570k
    gpu - R9 290
    ram - 4 4gb ddr3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Hey guys

I need a new motherboard as my old one is goosed. I don't really know anything about motherboards and how much it matters what I get for the parts I have, I'll list them below. I do plan on upgrading my cpu, ram and graphics card hopefully within the next year so maybe something that I can use with a 1070 or 1080. Any help is appreciated.

cpu - i5 3570k
    gpu - R9 290
    ram - 4 4gb ddr3
    Any compatible motherboard for your cpu that you get now, will not be compatible with any future new CPU/ram upgrade. Your best bet might be selling the CPU and ram, and getting a new CPU, ram and motherboard bundle now if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Techniques07

That's not really an option atm. Would you have a recommendation for a motherboard to replace my broken one? It was a ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX. I was thinking this one. LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

That's not really an option atm. Would you have a recommendation for a motherboard to replace my broken one? It was a ASRock Z77 Pro3, Sockel 1155, ATX. I was thinking this one. LINK

Linked board is wrong socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You would be best getting a second hand one from adverts or ebay if you can find one.

I was looking on ebay last night alright but the ones I found were twice as much as I paid for mine a few years ago. I'll continue the search today :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I was looking on ebay last night alright but the ones I found were twice as much as I paid for mine a few years ago. I'll continue the search today :(

They are scarce now, and typically there are more CPUs floating around than motherboards at this stage, as motherboards are more likely yi fail.

And again if you are upgrading in a year you won't be able to use any motherboard you buy now.

If you aren't over clocking, or don't mind not over clocking just to get yourself back up and running you could look at other chipsets like B75 or H77. You could look at h61 as well, although there is always a chance that the bios hasn't been updated to accept ivy bridge processors like your one

Lu Tze wrote: »
    They are scarce now, and typically there are more CPUs floating around than motherboards at this stage, as motherboards are more likely yi fail.

And again if you are upgrading in a year you won't be able to use any motherboard you buy now.

If you aren't over clocking, or don't mind not over clocking just to get yourself back up and running you could look at other chipsets like B75 or H77. You could look at h61 as well, although there is always a chance that the bios hasn't been updated to accept ivy bridge processors like your one

Yeah I'm not bothered with overclocking, I never used it in the past. Would either of these be ok? It's a bit more than I was hoping to pay for a replacement but if it gets me back up and running it's worth it. Appreciate the help

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-H61-G-Intel-Motherboard-Socket/dp/B00JFOFKI4/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1507187523&sr=8-19&keywords=socket+1155

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

€120 is very expensive though for such a low end replacement board - and you've the problem then that you have to lose half your RAM because the board only has two ram banks. You also cannot overclock the 3570K in that chipset which is what the CPU is designed for though I know you said you'd not been doing that previously.

I'd say either a) get a H61M board on Ebay 2nd hand for €50 or b) just keep an eye out for a 2nd hand Z77 on Ebay or Adverts for a reasonable price.

Advertisement