Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget raingear for commuting to work in Galway?

Options
  • 04-10-2017 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Any local recommendations for picking up some water resistant gear on the cheap for cycling to work? Pennys is a little TOO cheap, got soaked on my first go!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Mountain warehouse on mainguard street do some good deals on outdoor stuff. Frequent offers on a good range of products

• Registered Users Posts: 15,079 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Try to get the best breathable gear you can possibly afford.
    Look on it as an investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

not the advice you want but as a seasoned cycle commuter all year round, all weather for 30 years.... it really is worth it to go the few quid extra for some quality waterproof and breathable gear, especially for your top half.

Try Portwest as well as mountain warehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Aldi had some special cycling gear on recently might be some stuff left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Woodies in Wellpark had some good outdoors stuff but it was expensive. But the money would be worth it I think. I bought a cheap thing once and I threw it away after one outing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

In the end you'll probably spend more money by trying out Pennys, Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl, and then ultimately relent and get proper rain gear. I know because that's what I did. Eventually I invested in Altura over-trousers and have had them for several years. Finding a good jacket wasn't as hard and I used my Lidl one for 5 years but eventually upgraded that to the most breathable fabric I could find (eVent - meant to be better than Goretex). I discovered if I workout I sweat no matter how breathable the fabric is. It's not a bad jacket and I've had it for several years but it didn't change my life either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

In the end you'll probably spend more money by trying out Pennys, Dunnes, Aldi, Lidl, and then ultimately relent and get proper rain gear. I know because that's what I did. Eventually I invested in Altura over-trousers and have had them for several years. Finding a good jacket wasn't as hard and I used my Lidl one for 5 years but eventually upgraded that to the most breathable fabric I could find (eVent - meant to be better than Goretex). I discovered if I workout I sweat no matter how breathable the fabric is. It's not a bad jacket and I've had it for several years but it didn't change my life either.

+1.. I have an older version of this jacket.. Love it!
    Its breathable so if it rains, you will eventually get wet, but you won't get cold.

https://www.bicycle-line.com/eng/giubbino-nordica.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

07Lapierre wrote: »
    +1.. I have an older version of this jacket.. Love it!
    Its breathable so if it rains, you will eventually get wet, but you won't get cold.

https://www.bicycle-line.com/eng/giubbino-nordica.html

How reflective is this, would you have to wear a high-vis over it? Looks good though.

I currently wear a GoreTex jacket that is ostensibly a golf jacket, it cost €175 or something but it's one of the best investments I've ever made. I use it for golf obviously, as well as cycling, for walking/hiking, as a general rain jacket, have even used it as a ski jacket. It's black though so need to wear a high-vis with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

How reflective is this, would you have to wear a high-vis over it? Looks good though.

God No. Don't wear anything over it or it won't be able to breathe and you'll end up too Hot/Sweaty. I usually wear a long sleeve baselayer under it and as long as your cycling, you'll be toasty warm, but never too warm.

Yes its reflective, but like any reflective / Hi-viz stuff, you should always use Lights when it's dull, overcast or dark.

EDIT: I have yet to wear this jacket this year as its not quite cold enough. (the jacket is rated at -2 to 10 degrees)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    God No. Don't wear anything over it or it won't be able to breathe and you'll end up too Hot/Sweaty. I usually wear a long sleeve baselayer under it and as long as your cycling, you'll be toasty warm, but never too warm.

Yes its reflective, but like any reflective / Hi-viz stuff, you should always use Lights when it's dull, overcast or dark.

My bike has front and rear lights built in so no worries there. Think I'll go for one of these jackets, thanks for the link.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Don't wear rain gear is the other option, just have a change of gear, and hang up the wet stuff to dry out over the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

I agree with the other posters, you really do need to invest in wet gear. The cheap stuff tends not to be very breathable and you'll sweat from the inside instead of getting wet from the outside.
    CramCycle wrote: »
    Don't wear rain gear is the other option, just have a change of gear, and hang up the wet stuff to dry out over the day?

^ I would take this advice over cheap wet gear. Get a good waterproof bag to carry your change of clothes and layer up with thin materials that'll get wet. Aldi/Lidl triathlon gear is a good base layer for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've never bothered with rain gear but it depends on how long the commute is I suppose. I just used to wear a fleece and leggings to keep the heat in as best I could. Cycled to work in all conditions like that but that was a commute less than 10k. I could imagine getting a bit chillier on longer distances particularly in the depths of winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Budget raingear, best of luck! Expect to be wet regularly from sweat and the rain. Spend the money, you won't regret it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

elperello wrote: »
    ...Look on it as an investment.
    ... I invested in Altura over-trousers....
    ... one of the best investments I've ever made..
    J o e wrote: »
    ....you really do need to invest in wet gear...
    I'm astounded that so many of you have turned a profit or expect to turn a profit on rain gear! :D

I'm astounded that so many of you have turned a profit or expect to turn a profit on rain gear! :D

I've saved the money on my electricity bill in not having to wash soaking wet cloths :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

fwiw, I found the Aldi stuff fine for commuting. Kept me dry, on the mainly downhill commute in.

Whatever you get, cheap or expensive, anything in contact with it on the outside (such as a builders vest/ other hi viz) is likely (in my experience) to compromise how waterproof it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 dogsavage

Any local recommendations for picking up some water resistant gear on the cheap for cycling to work? Pennys is a little TOO cheap, got soaked on my first go![/quote]

Trespass I think is in Galway. They have some good waterproofs at reasonable prices.

Advertisement