Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How often do you drink?

• 04-10-2017 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Lately I noticed my drink intake climbing up. Not huge like, but on a daily basis having about 2 to 3 cans a night during the week. Then a night or two out per week. I honestly can't remember the last day I didn't have a drink, must be before the Summer.

Was thinking about it a bit more after meeting my cousin's new boyfriend recently, he can't drink due to having completely overindulged in earlier years. He's not that much older than me!

How often do you drink? Do you worry about it?

How often do you drink? 304 votes

Daily
    0% 0 votes
    4 times a week
    13% 41 votes
    Just at weekends
    22% 67 votes
    Rarely or never
    64% 196 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Daily...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

frag420 wrote: »
    Daily...

Do you have much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Only when I'm at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Used to drink several times a week in my 20s.. late nights, early houses etc.

Nowadays hardly at all. Partly because I'm usually driving, partly because most of my mates are long settled and living all over the place, but mostly because I couldn't be arsed and wouldn't miss it.
    Even when I do have a drink it's usually in someone's house or a quieter pub and would quit early enough. There's also the cost of a night out these days and I prefer to spend my money on other things.

Still get the occasional "ya wha??" reaction when I decline the offer of an all night session.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Never ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Often but not a great deal, one bottle of quality lager 5 or 6 nights a week with the occasional splurge now and again.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Don't drink during the week as a general rule. So once or twice a week.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 22 hanky2016

Normally get through 3 bottles of wine between Monday to Friday and a night out then on the sat night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Four nights a week in the pub.Thursday to Sunday.Saturday usually the mad night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Glass of whiskey or a beer at home maybe three or four times a week. I'd probably have another whiskey or beer at least one of those nights.

Not sure when I was last in a pub...not for weeks anyway I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Not as often ws I used to, thats for sure.

4 cans on a Fri and or Sat night.

The very odd midweek beer.

The occasional one or two on a Sunday at a meal or whatever.

No spirits, no wine, and no cider.

I used to be a 7 night a week lad in the local bar, before I moved away, got married and had kids.

What a waste of time and money, now when I look back.

Maybe once a week 1-2 maybe less

frag420 wrote: »
    Daily...

4-5 cups of coffee in the morning, about 2-3 litres of water over the course of the day, maybe glass of milk with my dinner.

What about you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

How often do I think indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Only between meals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Mostly at weekends. Although I'll have a few beers before/at a midweek concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

More often than I or my liver would like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Usually three nights a week for me. Thurs, Fri and Sat. Have gotten in the habit of having a bottle of red wine on a Thursday night. Then I'd have my usual, Guinness or Beer pints on the Friday and Saturdays. Occasionally have a few pints during the Sunday if there is an Arsenal match on.

Have decided to stay off drink for the month of October at least, so far so good. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭optogirl

Since the arrival of children it's rare - never drink at home but will if out at a gig or if there's a night out arranged with the mates - that's about 4 times a year at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

Either Friday or Saturday, whichever night it's not my turn to get up with the child the next morning I'd have a few (4 maybe) cans of craft beer.

Then once a month I go to the homebrew club meeting, usually a Wednesday.

there might be one other night out in a month where the child is getting minded and me and the wife will go out for dinner and a few drinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

I only drink on two occasions — When I am thirsty and when I'm not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you need to ask others how much they drink, then you probably drink too much ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Try to keep it to one or no nights a weekend. Have the odd glass of wine during the week at home some weeks or pint if heading to a midweek gig. Getting out of the mindset of going for drinks on a Friday after work just because its Friday, its usually not worth it. Drinking steps up big time around festival season, holidays and Christmas of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I'm drunk right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Usually three nights a week for me. Thurs, Fri and Sat. Have gotten in the habit of having a bottle of red wine on a Thursday night. Then I'd have my usual, Guinness or Beer pints on the Friday and Saturdays. Occasionally have a few pints during the Sunday if there is an Arsenal match on.

Have decided to stay off drink for the month of October at least, so far so good. :pac:

Does that amount affect your weight? I drank the same amount pre-30s but to do it now I'd be fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I still drink more than they say you should, but only now at weekends, unless something really unusual happens - like there being a Tuesday or a Wednesday in the week.
    95% of the time it's beer, 4% wine and I have learned from repeatedly embarrassing myself to stay away from spirits, so I only embarrass myself 1% of the time now.:D

I go through phases of drinking or not drinking. For several months I would go through a few bottles of wine per week and also go out one night per week and get fairly inebriated. For the last few months, I haven't been really drink at all during the week but will go out one night per week and have a couple of bottles of wine or several beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Does that amount affect your weight? I drank the same amount pre-30s but to do it now I'd be fat.

It's funny that you say that. I've put on two stone over the past year due to this routine. As I drink, I end up then eating takeaways and crap food. So I've told myself this can't go on, so plan on losing the weight and getting back into shape. Cutting out the drink is a start I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Not a lot. Few beers at weekend but during the Summer, i love sitting out and having ice cold beer late in the evening after an honest days work. Didn't do it much this year ffs...

Rarely go for pints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I drink on a daily basis though it seldom cools my temper. No it never cools my temper.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Have a beer with dinner most nights. Usually head out for drinks on Friday and/or Saturday with mates, though I'm going to be working Saturday nights in a bar now so that'll curb my intake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

op, to me you drink way too much, but we're all different with different circumstances, money, life ect.
    i just have about two or three at the weekend if a good game is on and that's not every week,
    other than that, i get rubbered on the rare occasion these days, but when it happens i can enjoy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

biko wrote: »
    If you need to ask others how much they drink, then you probably drink too much ;)

My uncle has a motto, that you only have a problem if you drink more than yoir doctor.

Not sure how accurate that is, as ive never asked my doctor about his drinking habits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Have a beer with dinner most nights. Usually head out for drinks on Friday and/or Saturday with mates, though I'm going to be working Saturday nights in a bar now so that'll curb my intake.

it won't. i worked in a bar when i was younger, you drink as you work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

In my 20s (probably like most others) I would be drinking 4/5 times a week. Haven't touched a drop in over a year now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

sometimes you don't realise how much you are putting away until you get rid of the empties.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I have a tonne of different spirits at home and an entire shelf of cocktail books but 90% of my drinking is research :) as I'm a bartender and bartenders should know how to mix drinks. Outside of that and the odd one in work I'd say I only go out once or twice a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Bambi985

Had a glass of red with my house mate on Sunday, before that can't remember.

Not fond of the booze at all anymore, bar a glass of wine or G&T here and there. I've no tolerance as I drink so inconsistently and find it's a money sink and makes me about 110% less productive the next day so not arsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Not very often, probably once a month if even that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭BobMc

In my teens and twenties an absolute fiend for drink, all weekend maybe during week too. Nowadays with family and kids etc. not too much and at the weekend.
    I love a whiskey on a wednesday which my daughter appropriately named Whiskey Wednesday at about 9.30 when the kids head to bed, then a couple bottles fri and or sat. night at home, We dont get out often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Qreq

I never saw the attraction so many people seem to find in centring meeting friends around drinking anything continuously (alcohol or not), and in the case of alcohol, becoming literally mentally retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Not a lot. Few beers at weekend but during the Summer, i love sitting out and having ice cold beer late in the evening after an honest days work. Didn't do it much this year ffs...

Rarely go for pints.

Rarely get out for pints myself - 2 or 3 times a year if I'm lucky, but the thoughts of going right through the weekend without a beer fills me with abject terror!
    BobMc wrote: »
    In my teens and twenties an absolute fiend for drink, all weekend maybe during week too. Nowadays with family and kids etc. not too much and at the weekend.
    I love a whiskey on a wednesday which my daughter appropriately named Whiskey Wednesday at about 9.30 when the kids head to bed, then a couple bottles fri and or sat. night at home, We dont get out often.

Couple of bottles of whiskey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Might about 2 drinks most weekends (2 x bottles of cider or 2 glasses of red wine), Go out for a sess about every 2 months and I probably last until 1am and then I am home.

Don't really drink too much, end up being too wrecked after a sess and my wife says I snore too much if I have too much vino.

About twice a week usually with at least one of the nights being a big session can be weekends or during the week depending on what's happening. Times like Christmas etc I'd drink everyday for the two weeks off and during holidays would be the same etc. I'm in my early 30's now have no desire to give up regular big sessions (nor do my friends of similar age) like some claim, in fact I'd hate the thought of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Probably 2-3 times after work, just a pint or two and then a few at before/during/after the match.

I don't like drinking in the house. Just me that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

It's funny that you say that. I've put on two stone over the past year due to this routine. As I drink, I end up then eating takeaways and crap food. So I've told myself this can't go on, so plan on losing the weight and getting back into shape. Cutting out the drink is a start I suppose.

Similar problem with me - not so much the takeaways, but putting on weight by drinking beer (Weissbeir)/wine/G&T (there are 5.5 spoons of sugar in a can of schwepps tonic, :eek: ) , so stopped drinking for the month of September. Dropped 8lbs so far, with no other change to my lifestyle. Still cycle to work and eat well.

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    I drink on a daily basis though it seldom cools my temper. No it never cools my temper.

Great for quenching a thirst though.

totally understandable, anything to numb the pain I guess :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Try being an Everton fan.

I drink to forget man!

Try being an Everton fan.

I drink to forget man!

Those are not the words of a true fan my friend. It's like a guy with a very fat wife, he chose her, he married her and deep down he still loves her. Drink was likely a factor in them crossing paths. I love drinking, but drinking to forget is a waste of good booze and precious time. Unless you purposely order a Pill Cosby from the cocktail menu.

• Advertisement
Advertisement