Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigs in Portugal?

Options
  • 04-10-2017 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum but does anyone know how many cigarettes you can bring back from Portugal - duty free or whatever?

Also any idea of the cost of Benson? I normally smoke Major but they cant be got there.

Just had a text from a non smoking friend who is on holidays in Portugal at the moment and if he's allowed a couple of cheap cartons I'll text him back and ask him to get me some fags but only if its legal and cheap...as compared to here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

800 each and approx 50euro / 200 as far as i can remember!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Strictly speaking you can bring as many back as you like as long as they're for personal use, but 800 is the point where Customs might start to think that they're not for personal use. The relevant Revenue page is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks folks. I dont know if he's lined up to bring ciggies back for anyone else but sure I'll text him and see if he can get a couple of cartons so. Him and the wife are non smikers so Im hoping they can manage a couple of cartons between them.

I take it the cigs are still in packs of 20 (10 packs in carton) over there and not the 30 and 29 packs of B&H they have here?

Just out of curiosity (and as an option) can the cigarettes still be bought on the return flight? I'm thinking major here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Not sure what you mean. If you mean literally on the aeroplane, I don't think airlines sell cigarettes on flights inside the EU. Airports often won't sell to passengers on internal EU flights either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

No, you can't get them on the plane....but you can get them in the airport (at a slightly higher cost).....

Thanks lads. Yeah, it was on the plane I meant. I know it was the done thing years ago but Im not up to speed on what happens these days.

Advertisement