Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Desktop Convert to Gaming

Options
  • 04-10-2017 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭

99% of the time I game its a civilization series game though I would play the odd fps and would be tempted to try frontier elite.

I bought a HP Elite 8300 M/T PC Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz / 8GB / 500GB / WIN7 for 240 euro from ebay.

I could have got the sff version for 10 sterling less but it has a smaller psu (240 vs 320) and the space isnt too much of an issue. With a power cable adapter it is possible to change the psu if necessary.

Im planning on buying a 1050 ti for it but wondering is this the best choice? The PSU as it stands would be fine for that but is it worth replacing anyhow?
    Civ 6 apparently is mainly bottle necked by the cpu and doesnt benefit a whole lot from multiple cores.
    Is it worth getting another 4/8 gb of ram?
    Does the fact I plan on using a 1080p 39 inch tv as a monitor matter?
    Would adding an SD hard drive add much to the power draw?

Thanks for any ideas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd say an SSD and 1050Ti will have you sorted, I'd be very surprised if that drew more than 320w but can't confirm for you.

39" doesn't matter, 1080p is 1080p, it's the pixel count not their size that matters

No need in more RAM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Thanks, I've noticed black friday often good for SSD's. Best wait till then for it and gpu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I've used Civ VI a lot on both 8gb 2133mhz and 16gb 3200mhz - you'll notice a difference on 16 but it's not huge and doesn't really impact the game - more like 'breathing room' for the overall computer if like me you're liable to binge that game for stupid 10 hour type runs while jumping in and out of other programs, web browsing, etc. Otherwise a 1050 TI will do very well on it (runs well even with a G4560 for Civ VI) and while the SSD would be nice, it's not going to be a necessity.

I'd say get the 1050 TI now or as soon as you're comfortable, but also check your space first - a mate of mine went and got one for a similar computer his workplace gave him instead of just chucking out but he had to switch it for a 'low profile' version (7cm tall) to fit it in; a full size one I think is 11cm+ while a 'mini' is as tall but only half the length; pop the lid off and take measurements. Then get the SSD whenever it one in the size you want goes on sale.

Definitely go with the 320w PSU as a G4560 build with 8GB of RAM, 2 HDDs and a 1050 TI is about 220W and an i7 will demand more than a G4560, plus you'll want overhead. Also with a full sized one it's easier to replace, you can get a non-modular, 80+ white rated, 430W EVGA for €40 or even less on Amazon which is a good solid budget unit (or sometimes a Corsair CX450W, which is Bronze+ and sometimes semi-modular for about a fiver more)

Advertisement