Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

request job description

Options
  • 04-10-2017 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have recently moved roles within the same organisation - same level and Im permanent within the organisation for a long time. It was an internal move

I have recently requested a job description as the new manager is a bit a loon. While a job description will not cover everything I can be asked to do it can basically lay out the expectations of the role - am I right

Some of the recent requests I have received I have never even heard of being practised within my organisation

Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Guy Sajer

In my field of work the job descriptions usually finish with "..and any other duties requested of you" which covers any extras. Although I've never been asked something outside the detailed job description.

Are you working as part of a team? Have you asked your colleagues if they have had the same experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭dennyk

Job descriptions are usually pretty vague and open-ended, so if you're looking to use it as a reason to refuse to perform certain tasks, unless they are significantly outside your job role and area of expertise or they legally require licensing, training, or certification that you don't possess (e.g. practicing medicine or law), it's not likely you'll be successful with that approach. Better to discuss things with your manager directly if you feel there are issues with some of the duties you've been assigned.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

hey thanks

some of the things I have been asked to do so far are actually far beyond my level of expertise and responsibility. One thing I was asked to do would legally need to be done by a qualified professional in the area and actually does need certification in the area. Not medical but nearly equivalent - and would need to be done by at least a manager.

I have mentioned to my colleagues and 3 previous staff have left the role due to issues raised with the manager. One person left after 2 weeks.

Im definitely not trying to not do work and I continue to do work as normal- I didnt have a job description in my previous role within the same organisation and never had an issue.

What I am trying to avoid is repeating situations that I have been previously where I am faced with being asked to do something that is way before my level and expertise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

They gave you more responsibility, just tell them you are not up to it and want to be moved back to where you were. Advancement usually means taking on new tasks.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

davo10 wrote: »
    Advancement usually means taking on new tasks.
    Whilst I'd agree with you, the following quote sounds like the OP is being asked to do things that could leave him and/or the company open to being sued if it was found that he did a task that he was not legally qualified to do.
    One thing I was asked to do would legally need to be done by a qualified professional in the area and actually does need certification in the area. Not medical but nearly equivalent - and would need to be done by at least a manager.

• Advertisement

thanks for the replies....sorry if I wasnt clear. This is not an advancement but a transfer. Same grade/same salary as always. Not a promotion. I wouldnt complain about getting a promotion and then being asked to take on new responsibilities.

I would totally agree that my organisation could be sued - especially if I did one of the tasks I was asked to do. I advised the manager of same. I am the lowest grade in my organisation. It has nothing to do with ability but simply I dont have the professional qualifications to complete the task. While I can assist with a lot of things as an administrator I cannot do the work of the manager for them.

Its hard to explain but I wouldnt suffer from doing these tasks...other people would.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I think I would go to HR and tell them what is happening. This sounds like a dangerous situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭dennyk

Yeah, if your boss is trying to get you to perform tasks that you aren't legally allowed to do, it's time to escalate the matter to someone higher up in your organisation (assuming you have actually discussed it with your boss and let them know you lack the necessary certifications and they're still asking you to perform them regardless, of course).

oh totally did that - but that is good advice. I advised my manager straight away that to carry out that particular task could or would lead to my organisation being sued. It is also way beyond my position.

I am fairly flexible when it comes to work but if it is work I am simply not qualified to do or my actions could lead to a bad effect on others I wouldnt carry out the work.

Again I dont want to ID myself but I have been in the organisation a long time. Flexibility comes with any job

Separately I was also asked to do something that would lead to an external consultant not being paid while they are still working for the organisation. Not exactly illegal but very very unprofessional. I didnt do it. Again I dont think an administrator has the power to end the contract of an external consultant and just not tell them

As I said the manager is a loon

Advertisement