Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin City Marathon Elite Field 2017?

• 04-10-2017 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

Just over 3 weeks out now so was wondering did anyone have any info on the elite entries to the race and National Championships? Everything seems to point to this possibly being the strongest National Marathon we've seen in a long time on the men's side so it could be really interesting.

Presuming the perennial contenders like Hehir, Sergiu and Gary O'Hanlon are in and the rumour seems to be that Stephen Scullion is also having a go. What about Mick Clohissey? Frazer? Barry Minnock? Pollock is out of the running after just returning from injury. Mark Hanrahan isn't long back either but any shot of him having a go? Anyone else?

I'm not really sure about the women's side this year. Could Fionnuala be a possibility? Lizzie Lee? Laura O'Shaughnessy had a great performance in Charleville, Any chance of her stepping up? Breege Connolly and Claire Mc Cathy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

On mens side:

Scullion
    Hehir
    Fitzpatrick
    GOH

I thought Sergiu was planning on it but not down on entries and is already in taper so could be going to Amsterdam possibly?

Clohissey not running it nor is Hanrahan. Frazer probably more likely to do Chicago or Fukuoka than Dublin so I would as say if he is running one this autumn it will be in December. Dunno is Minnock still running competitively?

On womens side

McCormack not running and last time talking to O'Shaughnessy she was not planning on stepping up this year. McCarthy not recovered from Berlin and imagine Connolly will be aiming at chasing Commonwealth time for next year so imagine a flatter route.

McCambridge on the comeback trail but I don't think DCM is on the cards. Don't think Lizzie planning on doing it either.

I know it popped up for Kipchoge so I figured might be interesting to do an Analysis of Scullion's training given that he is arguably the favourite for Dublin

Here are the last 6 weeks of his training

Week 1 (80 miles)
    Session 1 5x1 mile @ 10k pace(90 sec recovery), 3 min rec, 4 mile tempo

Session 2 - 10 mile hilly tempo

(No Long run)

Week 2 (95 miles)
    (Long run Monday - 17 miles easy)

Session 1 - 15 miles alternating (HM/Steady)

Session 2 - 2x30 min hard (run by feel, just slower than 10k pace)

Week 3 (45 miles)

Session 1 - 3x1 mile (progressive from HM to 10k) 90 sec rec, 4x400 @5k (75 sec), 2x200 @ 1 mile (60 sec)

Session 2 -Race - Great North Run 65.53 (5.02 pace)

Week 4 (70 miles)
    (Monday 15 mile easy run)

Session 1 - 2 miles progressive (slightly slower/faster than HM), 6x800 progressive (10k working down), 1 mile (10k)

Session 2 - Belfast Half Marathon - 66.05 (5.03 pace)

Week 5 (95 miles)

Session 1 - 17 miles with 3x10 min (HM HR) equal recovery @ easy pace

Session 2 - 1 mile/800/1 mile/800/1 mile (10k/5k paces) 90 recovery

(18 mile easy pace Sunday)

Week 6 (90 miles)

Session 1 - 3x3 mile progressive (MP-10k) 3 min rec

(remainder at 7000ft altitude)

Session 2 - 13 miles @ MP

Seems to be a fairly solid blend of speed work and Sustained HM efforts as a staple with his HM races slightly off his PB and being described as controlled but not a whole deal slower.

No major long runs or mega mileage either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

I know it popped up for Kipchoge so I figured might be interesting to do an Analysis of Scullion's training given that he is arguably the favourite for Dublin

Here are the last 6 weeks of his training

Week 1 (80 miles)
    Session 1 5x1 mile @ 10k pace(90 sec recovery), 3 min rec, 4 mile tempo

Session 2 - 10 mile hilly tempo

(No Long run)

Week 2 (95 miles)
    (Long run Monday - 17 miles easy)

Session 1 - 15 miles alternating (HM/Steady)

Session 2 - 2x30 min hard (run by feel, just slower than 10k pace)

Week 3 (45 miles)

Session 1 - 3x1 mile (progressive from HM to 10k) 90 sec rec, 4x400 @5k (75 sec), 2x200 @ 1 mile (60 sec)

Session 2 -Race - Great North Run 65.53 (5.02 pace)

Week 4 (70 miles)
    (Monday 15 mile easy run)

Session 1 - 2 miles progressive (slightly slower/faster than HM), 6x800 progressive (10k working down), 1 mile (10k)

Session 2 - Belfast Half Marathon - 66.05 (5.03 pace)

Week 5 (95 miles)

Session 1 - 17 miles with 3x10 min (HM HR) equal recovery @ easy pace

Session 2 - 1 mile/800/1 mile/800/1 mile (10k/5k paces) 90 recovery

(18 mile easy pace Sunday)

Week 6 (90 miles)

Session 1 - 3x3 mile progressive (MP-10k) 3 min rec

(remainder at 7000ft altitude)

Session 2 - 13 miles @ MP

Seems to be a fairly solid blend of speed work and Sustained HM efforts as a staple with his HM races slightly off his PB and being described as controlled but not a whole deal slower.

No major long runs or mega mileage either

Interesting. I honestly didn't expect to see that approach from him. As a guy who has good wheels, I was kind of thinking he'd have a lot more steady runs and fartlek. Surprised with the volume as well and longest run being 17 as for a guy like him as it probably comes in well under 2 hours. A 2:17 marathon says a big FU to my thoughts though:pac:

El Caballo wrote: »
    Interesting. I honestly didn't expect to see that approach from him. As a guy who has good wheels, I was kind of thinking he'd have a lot more steady runs and fartlek. Surprised with the volume as well and longest run being 17 as for a guy like him as it probably comes in well under 2 hours. A 2:17 marathon says a big FU to my thoughts though:pac:

It's kinda funny the more training I see as of late the more seem to be going back to the faster than MP approaches

As for long runs they tend to be about 7 min pace so you would be talking in or around the 2 hr mark

As for steady runs generally looking there does seem to be a good bit in the form of second session (up around he 50-65 min mark) if you include the races

Could argue that based of his 10k time his marathon could be a little soft especially in comparison to the likes of Clohisey and Hehir who would be coming from the strength side of things more so)

Interestingly European Championship selection policy for next year has been released

Sub 2.17 for men or if you win Irish Championships in Dublin in sub 2.18 will also count as a qualifier (similarly sub 2.38 vs sub 2.39 and win for the women)

I know a good few have been calling for this here in the past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Interestingly European Championship selection policy for next year has been released

Sub 2.17 for men or if you win Irish Championships in Dublin in sub 2.18 will also count as a qualifier (similarly sub 2.38 vs sub 2.39 and win for the women)

How many winners of Dublin Marathon in the last 10 years have run sub 2:18? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

What date range is the qualifying window L?

As in will Seaward qualify with his Berlin time etc...?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    How many winners of Dublin Marathon in the last 10 years have run sub 2:18? Genuine question.

Think it's unfair to use the last 10 years as the quality of Irish runners has come on hugely in the last few years. Pollock and Hehir have both done it and the likes of Sean Connolly and Sergiu have both been very close. I was originally against the idea when we talked about it the last time but have come around to it a bit since as the quality of Irish marathon running has improved that I now think we have a good few guys who could run under it in Dublin. A guaranteed spot is also a big carrot if we learned anything from the Rio debacle and it might also entice a few of those guys who aren't running 2:15 to reach for the Dublin spot and/or entice the top guys to start racing in Dublin more. The more you increase the depth, the more competitive the fields will get.

Think it's unfair to use the last 10 years as the quality of Irish runners has come on hugely in the last few years. Pollock and Hehir have both done it and the likes of Sean Connolly and Sergiu have both been very close. I was originally against the idea when we talked about it the last time but have come around to it a bit since as the quality of Irish marathon running has improved that I now think we have a good few guys who could run under it in Dublin. A guaranteed spot is also a big carrot if we learned anything from the Rio debacle and it might also entice a few of those guys who aren't running 2:15 to reach for the Dublin spot and/or entice the top guys to start racing in Dublin more. The more you increase the depth, the more competitive the fields will get.

Definitely more depth, but not a lot of improvement at the top end. I count just 3 sub 2:15 clockings since Mark Carroll's 2:10 in 2002, and one of those was by a convicted drug cheat. We've lots these days in the 2:16-2:18 range but can they run sub 2:18 on a relatively slow course like Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Full selection policy here: http://hp.athleticsireland.ie/index.php/11-news/96-2018-european-championships-marathon-cup-selection-policy. DCM clause is 4.7. Notably, if the DCM winner comes home in over 2:18, but has another performance within the qualifying window that's under 2:17 they "will be selected". Clause 4.8 then covers sub 2:17 performances elsewhere, stating that the athlete will be "considered for selection".

Of course, the "will be selected" of 4.7 is contradicted by 4.5 which states that the Selection Panel has "sole discretion" to select the team. So we could just end up with a worse version of the Rio Ciobanu/Pollock situation

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Chivito550 wrote: »
    3 by my count since 2009: Sergiu in 2016 and both Pollock and Hehir in 2012. However, one thing that's notable looking at the winners is how often it's a one-horse race: awful lot of the winners have 2-3 minutes or more of a cushion. If the top guys were racing each other in it, I suspect we'd see faster winning times

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    3 by my count since 2009: Sergiu in 2016 and both Pollock and Hehir in 2012. However, one thing that's notable looking at the winners is how often it's a one-horse race: awful lot of the winners have 2-3 minutes or more of a cushion. If the top guys were racing each other in it, I suspect we'd see faster winning times

Perhaps, or would there be a bit of cat and mouse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

On womens side

McCormack not running and last time talking to O'Shaughnessy she was not planning on stepping up this year. McCarthy not recovered from Berlin and imagine Connolly will be aiming at chasing Commonwealth time for next year so imagine a flatter route.

McCambridge on the comeback trail but I don't think DCM is on the cards. Don't think Lizzie planning on doing it either.

Laura Graham is doing it, Belfast Telegraph says:
    http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/laura-and-gideon-set-bangor-10k-alight-36186274.html

She was only 5secs off the Commonwealth qualifying time in Berlin (2:37:05).

Bump for any more info. Hard worker?Anyone.

A few are probably aware of this already but the race will be fully live streamed this year. Great to see as it's been a shame to not be able to watch it over the last few years.

Bump for any more info. Hard worker?Anyone.

A few are probably aware of this already but the race will be fully live streamed this year. Great to see as it's been a shame to not be able to watch it over the last few years.

Looks like Hehir is out AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Where is the livestream available?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

Hard to see anyone beating Laura Graham
    Scullion in mens also looks like the clear favourite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

youngrun wrote: »
    Hard to see anyone beating Laura Graham

She's in some form alright. Raced 3 consecutive weekends after Berlin - 10k (34:2x) , 10mile (PB, 57 low) and 8 mile last weekend. Impressive recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

OOnegative wrote: »
    Where is the livestream available?
    It's on their Facebook page - will be streaming live from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Sergiu is running it

• Advertisement

http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/elite-athlete-list-2017/

Just came across the list there. I'm a bit disappointed to be honest, There's certainly a lot of depth around the 2:13-2:18 range but maybe not as many young speedstars making their debut that could blow everyone out of the water like there used to be. Can see why they want depth but it's hard to see a race that has a course record of 2.08 been won in 2.13.

http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/elite-athlete-list-2017/

Just came across the list there. I'm a bit disappointed to be honest, There's certainly a lot of depth around the 2:13-2:18 range but maybe not as many young speedstars making their debut that could blow everyone out of the water like there used to be. Can see why they want depth but it's hard to see a race that has a course record of 2.08 been won in 2.13.

I would imagine that the organizers see more value in that depth than the 2.08/2.09 runners of the past.

If you look at previous winners you would say that for many the likes of Hehir and Eliud Too have had more of an impact on people in general than Ndungu or Feyesa Lelisa (despite his high profile since most forget that he actually won Dublin in his debut)

Also having that depth probably is a way of trying to encourage more Irish athletes to compete as they will have people around there level and slightly quicker to try and help them improve times compared to the likes of London/Berlin where they can actually get pretty isolated at the 2.14-2.18 range despite the higher caliber of athletes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Pardon me if this isn't the right place to ask, but....

I live beside the 12-mile mark. Roughly what time do I need to be out to see the first runners/wheelchairs passing? I keep aiming to get out every year for them, but always wind up just getting the top end of the greater field. For once I'd like to actually see the leaders!

Thanks! And good luck to everyone running it - I'm out cheering everyone on every year, and I still get a lump in my throat every single time!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I live beside the 12-mile mark.  Roughly what time do I need to be out to see the first runners/wheelchairs passing?  I keep aiming to get out every year for them, but always wind up just getting the top end of the greater field.  For once I'd like to actually see the leaders!

Thanks!  And good luck to everyone running it - I'm out cheering everyone on every year, and I still get a lump in my throat every single time!
    First up - thank you for the support every year - we may not show it but it's the likes of you cheering us all on that makes the differrence, just cos our heads are down doesn't mean we can't hear you :)
    As for the leaders they would be going through halfway (13 miles) around the 60-65 min mark earliest - so if you want to see them at 12 mile be out on the road at 09:45 and you should have a few minutes to spare, not sure what time the wheelchairs come through at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

I live beside the 12-mile mark. Roughly what time do I need to be out to see the first runners/wheelchairs passing? I keep aiming to get out every year for them, but always wind up just getting the top end of the greater field. For once I'd like to actually see the leaders!

Thanks! And good luck to everyone running it - I'm out cheering everyone on every year, and I still get a lump in my throat every single time!

http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/traffic-information/

wheelchairs expected about 9.45, lead men about 10

Is the tracker still in the dark ages of 10km, 21km, 30km and the finish or have they moved onto the 21st century with splits every 5k?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

RayCun wrote: »
    http://sseairtricitydublinmarathon.ie/traffic-information/

wheelchairs expected about 9.45, lead men about 10

Do they actually have any elite wheelchairs taking part now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Three elite Wheelchair athletes named.
    Some familiar names in the men's elites. The name Gary Condon rings a bell. Anyone know him?:)

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Some familiar names in the men's elites. The name Gary Condon rings a bell. Anyone know him?:)
    Pretender. Should be back in wave 3.

• Advertisement

Three elite Wheelchair athletes named.

Jesus, the standard has really gone down:p

All jokes aside, very best of luck KC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,193 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Article about Scullion in the Indo

Hope it goes well tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Do the winners of last years age categories or national championship age cats get an elite number for this year?

Advertisement