Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS office product key

Options
  • 04-10-2017 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭

I acquired a couple of copies of MS Office Ultimate 2007 about ten years ago. One version was loaded on my PC, the other on my laptop. The laptop is now banjaxed and I've bought a new one.

I have a couple of questions about this.

1. Can I load this on my new PC, or do I first need to remove it from my old laptop?

2. If it's OK to load it provided the old laptop is no longer in use, how do I go about doing this?

3. My son has downloaded MS office online, but it's saying it's only valid for 1 month and will need a product key to become permanent. Can I use the old product key and, if so, how do I find out what this is?

4. I have a box containing the CD I got when I purchased the software, but I'm not sure if it's for the one I installed on my PC or the one that was on my laptop. Is there a way I can check the product key for the version that's on my PC?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

You can find the product key for the one you have installed on your PC -

https://www.google.ie/search?q=how+to+find+office+2007+product+key+after+installation&oq=how+to+find+office+200&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l5.15032j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

From there you should be able to install the other one. As the laptop is dead, there should be no problems using its version of Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

My son is saying that he needs Office 2016. On Amazon, they seem to be offering product keys for MS Office 2016 Professional Plus for just over £10, which seems too good to be true. Are these genuine? And can they be used by someone based in Ireland? When you click on the product to purchase it, it says UK delivery only (which seems a bit strange if it's sent by email).

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Have a look at the comments on Amazon. Check the one star comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭abff

drake70 wrote: »
    Have a look at the comments on Amazon. Check the one star comments.

Interesting. There were 20 one star comments out of 481 total. All said more or less the same thing - it works for a while and then stops working. Seems they are selling the same product key over and over again.

Any suggestions as to the most cost effective way of getting a genuine copy? My son has just started a one year course and needs the software for his course. I though there should be some discount available to students, but this does not appear to be the case (or maybe he just hasn't been asking the right person?).

• Registered Users Posts: 35 fouro

abff wrote: »
    Interesting. There were 20 one star comments out of 481 total. All said more or less the same thing - it works for a while and then stops working. Seems they are selling the same product key over and over again.

Any suggestions as to the most cost effective way of getting a genuine copy? My son has just started a one year course and needs the software for his course. I though there should be some discount available to students, but this does not appear to be the case (or maybe he just hasn't been asking the right person?).

You can get office 365 for free for students with a vaild email address. Link is below.

https://products.office.com/en-gb/student/office-in-education

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ie/store/collections/softwareforstudents?icid=Cat-EDU-Nav_20_2-SoftwareStudents

Those are your options as a student. Buy direct from Microsoft and save yourself a world of pain / hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yes buy the student/home version. You should be able to purchase directly from microsoft (https://products.office.com/en-ie/compare-all-microsoft-office-products?tab=1) or from someone like http://www.software4students.ie/ .

The installs are typically managed from office365 log-in as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

The comments from the other posters give you the best hassle free solution to what you need. Check with your son to see exactly which MS Office applications he needs as not all of them may be in the basic package.

Also Open Office might be an alternative. It's free.

Advertisement