Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I run cat5/6 and power down the same wall chase?

• 04-10-2017 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

I am doing a bit of work on an 80s bungalow. I want to convert a bedroom into an office. One thing I need to do is chase walls to add power sockets (throughout the house really). I also want run cat5/6 cable to RJ45 sockets in some rooms. I know ideally I should run network cables a few cm's away from power, but what about when it comes to chasing walls ? It seems like a lot of work, dirt, dust, noise and refinishing to have to run two wall chase channels, one for 2.5 T+E and another for network. How would the professionals approach this ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Well i would not see an issue with both being in the same chase but in separate containment. I would think the issue is the voltage rating of the cat5/ 6 cable insulation is not rated to mains voltage,also the noise from the mains voltage altho in a domestic situation id hardly worry to much about that with just a few metres.

If you are running Cat5/6 near alot power supplies it might be worth getting external rated cat 5/6 it has an overall screen unless you splash out on cat 7.

There are a few decent lads here at this work alot and i am sure will tell you the right solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Not ideal, but should work grand. Use two different wavan channels, even with the thinnest wavan you'll get 2 CAT 5 cables down it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭dnme

Thanks for all the replies. I guess if a jobs worth doing . . .

429768.jpg

Advertisement