Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting insurance renewal issue - imported car

Options
  • 04-10-2017 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

Went to renew the insurance on my car (which is a NI import).

The insurer said that they don't insure imports more than 4 years old unless its a renewal.

Considering that every car in Ireland is an import, not sure why they have this policy.

Think its an awful policy (its not like I was trying to insure a Romanian LADA).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Went to renew the insurance on my car (which is a NI import).

The insurer said that they don't insure imports more than 4 years old unless its a renewal.

Considering that every car in Ireland is an import, not sure why they have this policy.

Think its an awful policy (its not like I was trying to insure a Romanian LADA).

You are right it's awful.
    Just bin them and shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Which insurer is that?
    Seems a bit odd considering how many uk imports are in he country and how there’s no difference in terms of repair, unlike JDM cars which could often take longer to get parts for (which themselves could be more expensive)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

That's a good one. 4 year old UK imports are absolutely fine, got a 5 year old UK import? Naaa too risky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

That's a good one. 4 year old UK imports are absolutely fine, got a 5 year old UK import? Naaa too risky.

Perhaps they can only get write-off information on UK cars for the last 4 years. I don't know, just guessing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Allinall

I've a 2006 UK import and haven't had any refusal to quote.

Policy is up in three weeks so have been looking around all options.

There's only a few that ask if it's an import.

• Advertisement
Advertisement