Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'No-shows' at apartment rental viewing

Options
13»

Comments

Why have my posts been deleated? It's extremely furstrating to put time and effort into replies and find them deleated. Getting very tired of it happening :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,679 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

When I was letting out my extra room in my apartment.

The oddballs who ware trying to rent the room were priceless. One guy asked can We share a bed and another asked was I cute. Another wanted to bring a big huge dog into an apartment !!!.

The add clearly said you must be a none smoker and a working young personnel like me. !!!

Jesus. Some people just don't know how to behave appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cosle

To counter balance some of the stories here, I went to view an apartment 3 weeks ago, queued for more then 2 house to see the place. They told me they showed 200 interested parties in total around the apartment over two day.

Unfortunately I also didn't secure the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Are you offering reduced rent or something to help those on the verge of being homeless? If not then I wouldn't expect this part of the market to be interested.

People aren't just ringing & emailing you. They are in contact with dozens like you. Many of the enquiries are from tyre kickers. The girl in the box room with the child is most likely daydreaming. She can't afford the rent.

You are way out there. People on HAP can afford more rent than people on 50k / 60k per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    You are way out there. People on HAP can afford more rent than people on 50k / 60k per year.

Are you talking All people, Most people or a small percentage of people?
    Do you know exactly how HAP works?
    What exactly is the criteria an applicant must satisfy to qualify for it?

• Advertisement

Why have my posts been deleated? It's extremely furstrating to put time and effort into replies and find them deleated. Getting very tired of it happening :mad: :mad:

One of my posts was deleted as well. No explanation given.

Poor moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

One of my posts was deleted as well. No explanation given.

Poor moderation.

Not in this thread it wasn't, nor any over the past few days.

Nonetheless, discussing moderation on thread is against the rules and off topic. PM one of the mods if you want to discuss it. Don't reply to this in thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

It's not free and I'd want to be doing my own vetting and looking after my own property. I wouldn't dream of using an agent if I was letting property.

But you don't do you? But you need something to spend your time, commenting on subjects you know little about. I thought I warned you on that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Are you talking All people, Most people or a small percentage of people?
    Do you know exactly how HAP works?
    What exactly is the criteria an applicant must satisfy to qualify for it?

Thats a lot of questions; and I'm not answering any of them :-)

Google it.

Thats a lot of questions; and I'm not answering any of them :-)

Google it.

I dont have to, I know how it works, I was asking if you knew how it works given your statement.
    What links can you provide to prove this, or is it solely conjecture on your behalf, or just bar-stool talk.

• Advertisement

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    But you don't do you? But you need something to spend your time, commenting on subjects you know little about. I thought I warned you on that before.

I know a considerable amount about it actually, more than many LLs without doubt.

Also, since when can you "warn me" about anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭jim-mcdee

I know a considerable amount about it actually, more than many LLs without doubt.

Also, since when can you "warn me" about anything?

There is a big difference between "knowing" and knowing. Like the lad on here once who was advising me about overland travel in Asia and it later turned out he never even had a passport in his life, but had done plenty of reading on forums. It was probably a bad choice of words "warning" you. I meant "advise" you. To prevent you looking foolish, I mean.

jim-mcdee wrote: »
    There is a big difference between "knowing" and knowing. Like the lad on here once who was advising me about overland travel in Asia and it later turned out he never even had a passport in his life, but had done plenty of reading on forums. It was probably a bad choice of words "warning" you. I meant "advise" you. To prevent you looking foolish, I mean.

Luckily I won't be looking foolish as I do actually know and "know" what I'm talking about ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note: is there a full moon or something?

jim-mcdee / Macy Skinny Nectar, take it to PM.

Tombo2001, your contribution to this thread has been less than useful. Don't post on this thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭sk8board

Just to add my 0.02c, I also find that when I advertise a place for rent, I allow for at least 60% of the shortlist to be no-shows on the day and to never hear from them.
    It’s a good thing - they’re the guys you don’t want.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭shashaela

This time last year, I was a tenant frantically searching for 3-4 long months for somewhere before our termination notice expired.

There were days when nothing appeared on daft, other days when 4 or 5 ads would appear on the same day for the areas I was interested in. I could remember each and every ad that I replied to. But the biggest stumbling block I encountered was not hearing back when I emailed potential LLs from their ad. That was the most frustrating part.
    Full time employment, great work and LL reference, must have emailed about 30 LLs and only got as far as TWO lousy viewings :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭mel123

shashaela wrote: »
    This time last year, I was a tenant frantically searching for 3-4 long months for somewhere before our termination notice expired.

There were days when nothing appeared on daft, other days when 4 or 5 ads would appear on the same day for the areas I was interested in. I could remember each and every ad that I replied to. But the biggest stumbling block I encountered was not hearing back when I emailed potential LLs from their ad. That was the most frustrating part.
    Full time employment, great work and LL reference, must have emailed about 30 LLs and only got as far as TWO lousy viewings :-(

Being on the other end of advertising property as I said before for a family member, it baffled me how many people would email. Ring!! Remember the good aul days without email, we'd ring someone and talk. I don't mean to specifically pin point you, but it just baffles me why of people are really interested why not just ring the number on the ad. Said family member would never reply to emails, they weren't so technology minded, and I'd often log in to his email and like that 30/40 emails, it's hard work replying to them all.

Just my advice for anyone looking for somewhere to rent would be pick up the phone, put your name down for a viewing and job done

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

mel123 wrote: »
    Being on the other end of advertising property as I said before for a family member, it baffled me how many people would email. Ring!! Remember the good aul days without email, we'd ring someone and talk. I don't mean to specifically pin point you, but it just baffles me why of people are really interested why not just ring the number on the ad. Said family member would never reply to emails, they weren't so technology minded, and I'd often log in to his email and like that 30/40 emails, it's hard work replying to them all.

Just my advice for anyone looking for somewhere to rent would be pick up the phone, put your name down for a viewing and job done

What if no phone no.is given?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭shashaela

Very often there is no phone number , just an email address!

Very often I see ads that stipulate ***Enquiries By Email Only***

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

The reason LL's state email only is because you simply couldn't cope with the volume of calls that come in from an ad. The last time I advertised my property I had 1045 emails.

pilly wrote: »
    The reason LL's state email only is because you simply couldn't cope with the volume of calls that come in from an ad. The last time I advertised my property I had 1045 emails.

This is why you use burner phone that can be turned off when ever you dont want to be getting calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

... Where were those on the verge of homelessness?

Maybe they can't afford it. Or perhaps they are unable to manage life in general.

Advertisement