Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liam Cosgrave RIP(Mod warning in op and #174)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

R.I.P.

Glad he got to see the 1916 commemoration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I thought he had died years ago! Some age, my dad used to say he was Ireland's last true great leader .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

He was no Charlie Haughey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Badabing wrote: »

Thank god for that at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

good for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Before my time but he was a gentleman by all accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

A good innings. He was active enough 18 months ago at the 1916 ceremonies. Also a direct link back to the first Taoiseach W.T. Cosgrave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

A good innings. He was active enough 18 months ago at the 1916 ceremonies. Also a direct link back to the first Taoiseach W.T. Cosgrave

That link has gone now as he is the last of WT Cisgraves children. He was very poorly the last few months according to some reports

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

And as such, he will be remembered with more respect...

do we get a day off school ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭subpar

One of his best quotes " The definition of an honest man ---- someone that when you bribe him he stays bribed"

Liam Cosgrave RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So now Enda is the oldest former Taoiseach at 66, a few months older than Bertie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

youtube! wrote: »
    I thought he had died years ago! Some age, my dad used to say he was Ireland's last true great leader .

Really??? RIP etc but I wouldn't class him as a great leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

thats-not-a-badthats-a-good-thing.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

So now Enda is the oldest former Taoiseach at 66, a few months older than Bertie.

John Bruton is 70...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

snowflaker wrote: »
    John Bruton is 70...

Oh yeah, forgot he was Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

True, he was modest and polite. He carried out major reforms family and labour law and significantly increased social welfare benefits. An honest politician.

True, he was modest and polite. He carried out major reforms family and labour law and significantly increased social welfare benefits. An honest politician.

indeed, he was no Charles Haughey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Free Travel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

A great man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I love a good state funeral. Although it won't be the same without Liam Cosgrave watching smugly as another ex-Taoiseach is lowered into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Juran

He voted against contraception in Ireland in the late 70's / early 80's .... against his own party's majority mandate .... I'm no fan. My grandmother bore 15 kids as the state and church made sure she has no access to contraception ( to keep them poor ) ... and yet cosgrave had only 3 kids. It was well known that people with money were able to buy a 'pill' from their buddy the doctor to prevent pregnancy back then but poor country folk had to be kept down by the Catholic Church and Cosgrove fully supported them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Was famously the last Taoiseach who would go home for his lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Not a bad leader by all accounts, had to deal with with some serious things like the oil crises, contraception, issues with the president, The IRA, etc.

RIP

To: The valeyard..... poor him, having to deal with contraception which affected women back then ... not the old men in his Dail which we see on old RTÉ news footage tonight.
    may he Rot in Peace ....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

fryup wrote: »
    do we get a day off school ?

He's not the bishop so...no...does that still happen that kids get a day off if the bishop dies(I remember that happening when I was in primary school)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

That has to be the most expensive state pension ever, even discounting the team of Garda at the gate etc. (x Taoiseach 40+ years, xTD nearly as long)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Juran wrote: »
    To: The valeyard..... poor him, having to deal with contraception which affected women back then ... not the old men in his Dail which we see on old RTÉ news footage tonight.
    may he Rot in Peace ....

wha :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

youtube! wrote: »

Really?

• Advertisement

Roadtoad wrote: »
    That has to be the most expensive state pension ever, even discounting the team of Garda at the gate etc. (x Taoiseach 40+ years, xTD nearly as long)

I can understand Bertie needing the Garda at the gate..but as for the rest of them..is that level of security really necessary???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Oh yeah, forgot he was Taoiseach.

I always thought he was the Lord lieutenant of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

His faux Hitlerite ronnie was an embarrassment to da nation even though his best contribution to the history of this place contained the words:
    "Dis is no Mickey Mouse gubbermint"

Yeah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

jojofizzio wrote: »
    I can understand Bertie needing the Garda at the gate..but as for the rest of them..is that level of security really necessary???

if they were in office during the troubles, i think they may....i'm sure there's a few hardmen out there with a grudge

philstar wrote: »
    if they were in office during the troubles, i think they may....i'm sure there's a few hardmen out there with a grudge

Maybe...would be interesting to know if anyone has ever "had a go" at an ex-Taoiseach..or is it at this stage something that's just done as it has become customary??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

may he Rot in Peace ....

Couldnt figure out the quote button?

Think you will find Contraception affected men also. Prevent STDs and unwanted pregnancy. Was a long road for liberalisation of it.

• Advertisement

Like most here I'm sure, I'm much too young to remember him. The mid-1970s when he was Taoiseach would have been a tough time to be in charge, with the Troubles, inflation, unemployment, petrol shortages, budget problems etc. He seems dour and stern from old footage but from the odd clip I've seen of him in recent years he seems to have had a bit of a sense of humour. He also strikes me as someone who wouldn't have been corruptible, and whose motives for being in public life were essentially good, although maybe I'm wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

may he Rot in Peace ....

How magnanimous of you - bet you feel better getting that rant of your chest - so how much have you done for your country that you feel competent to insult and demean one who is no longer able to defend himself and who has , by general consensus, been a decent and competent politician. I wouldn’t be a supporter of the Cosgrave era but don’t feel the need to disrespect the dead despite political different views. Fine to be critical of his politics but why the need for the personal insult ?

And were the men affected by unwanted pregnancies???? You should ask the girls in the laundry houses or those who fled to England ...... "also affected men" .. please ....
    the road didn't have to be so long if the like of cosgrove and pals and Catholic Church were not in power ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Great man for going to the races up until a few years ago.

to deny human rights is to challenge humanity.... quote nelson Mandela..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

may he Rot in Peace ....

You sound lovely.

Tell that to the Dublin and Monaghan bombing victims and their families ... he stopped the investigation and didn't allow any findings to be published ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

His government introduced censorship in Ireland, banning Republicans from the airways and denying a voice to elected representatives. He also refused in any way to properly investigate collusion in the Dublin/Monaghan bombings which was one of the biggest mass murders in the history of the state. I've little time for his political legacy to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I always thought he was the Lord lieutenant of Ireland.

he was never taoiseach as the constitution wasntvwritten atvthat point
    Dev is the first T

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

Rest in peace Mr Cosgrave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

Born 1920.

Elected to Dail 1943.

Retired 1977.

Died 2017.

What. A. Country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Uosdwis R. Dewoh

Born 1920.

Elected to Dail 1943.

Retired 1977.

Died 2017.

What. A. Country.
    Wouldn't have been a fan, but can't blame the country for him living to a very old age I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Interestingly (?) as Taoiseach for four years, he served under four Presidents, all FF stock. ( go on, name them without looking them up).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

De Valera - term ended
    Childers - died in office
    O'Dalaigh - resigned
    Hillery

What do I win?

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Roadtoad wrote: »
    Interestingly (?) as Taoiseach for four years, he served under four Presidents, all FF stock. ( go on, name them without looking them up).

dev childers hillary and i dont remember

• Advertisement
Advertisement