Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liam Cosgrave RIP(Mod warning in op and #174)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mirafiori

Born 1920.

Elected to Dail 1943.

Retired 1977.

Died 2017.

What. A. Country.

He retired in 1981 at age 61.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

De Valera - term ended
    Childers - died in office
    O'Dalaigh - resigned
    Hillery

What do I win?
    Tigger wrote: »
    dev childers hillary and i dont remember

thats the one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Wouldn't have been a fan, but can't blame the country for him living to a very old age I suppose.

I took it that he meant What a c u next tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

He was born before the formation of the Free State

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Sorry to hear that. He was great as Davos Seaworth.

A grey, dull, listless period in Irish political history, sandwiched between figures like Lemass, Lynch, FitzGerald, Haughey, right up to Reynolds, who, like them or not, provoked far more debate. Suspect the reaction of many will be "he died? Didn't realise he was still around".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

A grey, dull, listless period in Irish political history, sandwiched between figures like Lemass, Lynch, FitzGerald, Haughey, right up to Reynolds, who, like them or not, provoked far more debate. Suspect the reaction of many will be "he died? Didn't realise he was still around".

Not totally, just reading now it seems he was the one who forced O'Dallaigh out of office, which was a memorable incident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Delete post

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Bishopsback

Not totally, just reading now it seems he was the one who forced O'Dallaigh out of office, which was a memorable incident

Not sure of that now! But RIP Liam Cosgrave, an underated politician and a great intellect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

De Valera - term ended
    Childers - died in office
    O'Dalaigh - resigned
    Hillery

What do I win?

Back-stage pass to Halls Pictorial Weekly (VAT on children's shoes tonight)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

FTA69 wrote: »
    His government introduced censorship in Ireland, banning Republicans from the airways and denying a voice to elected representatives.

everything in context ....at a time when they were bombing the sh!t out of the north and bringing this island to the verge of civil war

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

RIP. He seems to have been a fairly average leader by international standards but in comparison with the likes of Cowen, Bruton, Kenny, Haughey and Ahern he gets pushed into the list of top Taoiseach. When the best you can say is he was a good one because at least he turned up sober, didn't rip us off and was relatively competent at the job then that says more about us than him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Sean Lemass was our best ever Taoiseach.

touts wrote: »
    RIP. He seems to have been a fairly average leader by international standards but in comparison with the likes of Cowen, Bruton, Kenny, Haughey and Ahern he gets pushed into the list of top Taoiseach. When the best you can say is he was a good one because at least he turned up sober, didn't rip us off and was relatively competent at the job then that says more about us than him.
    Conversely, compared to the likes of Lemass, Costello, Fitzgerald and Enda Kenny, he's distinctly average; probably ranking behind Jack Lynch and perhaps even Albert Reynolds.

In the end, it's only his non-corrupt status that saves his reputation.

Badabing wrote: »
    Sean Lemass was our best ever Taoiseach.

no Albert Reynolds was

1. he alongside john major was the main architect of the peace process, which all of us should be eternally grateful

and 2. he wasn't in office long enough to make any major f&ck ups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Good riddance to the old religtard backward looking heavy gang cnut.

Shame he outlived most of his victims.
    The original Tory boy covering up justice to the survivors of the biggest mass murder in the state history, Duplin and monaghan bombings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

So now Enda is the oldest former Taoiseach at 66, a few months older than Bertie.

John Bruton born 18/5/1947

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

True, he was modest and polite. He carried out major reforms family and labour law and significantly increased social welfare benefits. An honest politician.

Didn't he block contraception reforms for married couples...? Slightly before my time, to be fair.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Inherited the job from his Da...i hate when that crap happens in politics. Makes us look like a Monarchy. And yes i know he got elected, just the fact that he'd run annoys me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Cosgrave was in power when there was a massive recession in the mid-1970s, and did ok.
    Then we got shafted by a few chancers.
    [Diomed's 20th Century History Of Ireland]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Inherited the job from his Da...i hate when that crap happens in politics. Makes us look like a Monarchy. And yes i know he got elected, just the fact that he'd run annoys me.

Should he be barred from runnng because his father was Taoiseach? Nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭baylah17

No time for the man
    He despised civil liberties and human rights and set the heavy gang loose in the 70s
    In my opinion he is undeserving of any state tribute.
    He was a bully boy first last and always

MadYaker wrote: »
    Should he be barred from runnng because his father was Taoiseach? Nonsense.

He gets on a platform because of it. Alot of people also voted for him no doubt because of his father's deeds rather than anything the jr guy does. Its an unfair advantage that prevents new people entering politics in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

philstar wrote: »
    no Albert Reynolds was

1. he alongside john major was the main architect of the peace process, which all of us should be eternally grateful

and 2. he wasn't in office long enough to make any major f&ck ups

There are many ahead of Reynolds for that accolade. Id even put Bruton ahead of him somewhat controversially on the basis that he laid many foundations for what came after him in Irish life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Juran wrote: »
    He voted against contraception in Ireland in the late 70's / early 80's .... against his own party's majority mandate .... I'm no fan. My grandmother bore 15 kids as the state and church made sure she has no access to contraception ( to keep them poor ) ... and yet cosgrave had only 3 kids. It was well known that people with money were able to buy a 'pill' from their buddy the doctor to prevent pregnancy back then but poor country folk had to be kept down by the Catholic Church and Cosgrove fully supported them.

If only there was some other way that your Grandmother could have not had 15 kids... think, damnit, think....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

For me the Cosgrave government of 1973-1977 will always be associated with the Halls Pictorial Weekly sketches of that period. They were very close to the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

davycc wrote: »
    Good riddance to the old religtard backward looking heavy gang cnut.

Shame he outlived most of his victims.
    The original Tory boy covering up justice to the survivors of the biggest mass murder in the state history, Duplin and monaghan bombings.

I think you need to take something for that hatred.

The man stood up to the IRA terrorists in the 1970s when they were a real threat to the State, well done I say and RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

How magnanimous of you - bet you feel better getting that rant of your chest - so how much have you done for your country that you feel competent to insult and demean one who is no longer able to defend himself and who has , by general consensus, been a decent and competent politician. I wouldn’t be a supporter of the Cosgrave era but don’t feel the need to disrespect the dead despite political different views. Fine to be critical of his politics but why the need for the personal insult ?

And yet shots at Haughey seem to be ok? By your logic surely those should be unacceptable too? (regardless of how deserved they may/may not be)

Personally though, I've never been one for "the slate is wiped clean when someone dies, RIP etc etc" ... whether someone deserves well-wishes and praise after death is subject to what they did in life IMO

I was only a kid in the Cosgrave era, but by all accounts he did a decent job for the most part given the times and circumstances of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    If only there was some other way that your Grandmother could have not had 15 kids... think, damnit, think....

... while actually exercising her right to have loving sexual intercourse with (presumebly) her husband? Yes, plelase - do go on.

He gets on a platform because of it. Alot of people also voted for him no doubt because of his father's deeds rather than anything the jr guy does. Its an unfair advantage that prevents new people entering politics in my opinion.

i think this tells you more about the electorate than it does about the system or the politician, and **** all has changed since.

• Advertisement

Does it annoy you that Garret FitzGerald ran for office, too? Winston Churchill? Tony Benn? Justin Trudeau? Benazir Bhutto?

And why not apply the same standard to siblings and spouses too? Robert F. Kennedy? Ted Kennedy? Hillary Clinton?

The fact is, that just like shopkeepers, drapers, doctors, and farmers, a lot of children growing up in political households want to follow in the footsteps of their parent's role. That is not confined to politics; it's a perfectly natural phenomenon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

tritium wrote: »
    Id even put Bruton ahead of him somewhat controversially on the basis that he laid many foundations for what came after him in Irish life.

The only foundation he laid was the future oligarch career of Redacted O'Redacted?

In contrast while Cosgrave was a conservative man of his time and we judge him harshly through modern eyes his government seems to have done what they thought was right for the country as a whole. We might disagree with them but I do think Cosgrave was doing what he thought was best for the nation. I don't think too many Taoiseach since then can honestly say that.

touts wrote: »
    The only foundation he laid was the future oligarch career of Redacted O'Redacted?

In contrast while Cosgrave was a conservative man of his time and we judge him harshly through modern eyes
    Cosgrave was a very conservative man in his own time, let alone in ours.

He was one of the most pious members of the Oireachtas, let alone the Government.

blanch152 wrote: »
    I think you need to take something for that hatred.

The man stood up to the IRA terrorists in the 1970s when they were a real threat to the State, well done I say and RIP.

I won't take lectures on a hypocrite like your fair self, don't want to have to put a hero like yourself back onto my ignore list.

Cosgrave would go up in my estimation If he had given justice to the Dublin and monaghan bombings survivors instead of sweeping the collusion under his big rug,

Does it annoy you that Garret FitzGerald ran for office, too? Winston Churchill? Tony Benn? Justin Trudeau? Benazir Bhutto?

And why not apply the same standard to siblings and spouses too? Robert F. Kennedy? Ted Kennedy? Hillary Clinton?

The fact is, that just like shopkeepers, drapers, doctors, and farmers, a lot of children growing up in political households want to follow in the footsteps of their parent's role. That is not confined to politics; it's a perfectly natural phenomenon.

I didn't specifically criticise Liam. I said the system is whats wrong. Worldwide.

Other professions are not as responsible positions so no, they don't bother me. Politicians make huge decisions that affect us all. They should need to get off the ground on their own merits to relate to the man on the street IMO.

i think this tells you more about the electorate than it does about the system or the politician, and **** all has changed since.

Idiots votes count just as much sadly,
    In my last constituency Helen mcentee got in on the sympathy and nepotism gig.

And in Kerry the Healy Rae dynasty is currently sucking up all the lucrative public purse contracts as a result of their own bit of nepotism and cronyism.

Fg and ff are two identical pigs getting the trough stuffed

... while actually exercising her right to have loving sexual intercourse with (presumebly) her husband? Yes, plelase - do go on.

Both my Nans would have been older than the poster's Nan... they had 5 and 6 kids respectively... I guess they and their husbands were not quite so in love as the Granny who was forced to have 15 by the Taoiseach...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

a hero like yourself

I'll take a compliment wherever I can get it, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Cosgrave would go up in my estimation If he had given justice to the Dublin and monaghan bombings survivors instead of sweeping the collusion under his big rug,

well how do you think people in the north feel....bloody friday, kingsmill, enniskillen, teebane, darkley massacres all swept under the rug...with some of the perpetrators walking the streets some of them in public office (SF)

• Advertisement

Both my Nans would have been older than the poster's Nan... they had 5 and 6 kids respectively... I guess they and their husbands were not quite so in love as the Granny who was forced to have 15 by the Taoiseach...

Sorry, you were supposed to be telling me how to legally make love without fear of concieving a child in a State where the recently deceased refuse to allow to you to use contraception because he proclaimed to be holier than thou....?

Honestly sounds like we'd have been better off without him.

Sorry, you were supposed to be telling me how to legally make love without fear of concieving a child in a State where the recently deceased refuse to allow to you to use contraception because he proclaimed to be holier than thou....?

Honestly sounds like we'd have been better off without him.

I'm "supposed" to be, am I? :D

Blaming someone else because all the kids you had put you in poverty is one of the most hilariously ludicrous things I've ever heard.

Seeing as we're "supposing", why didn't everyone have 15 kids??

I'm "supposed" to be, am I? :D

Blaming someone else because all the kids you had put you in poverty is one of the most hilariously ludicrous things I've ever heard.

Seeing as we're "supposing", why didn't everyone have 15 kids??

Well, that was the question asked and you did respond to the question in fairness, but I'm guessing now that you either believe in the banning of contraception and are too embarrassed to say it or you don't believe in sexual intercourse for the purposes of love, so we'll leve this here, I suppose; and let the thread return to its topic of fawning over a dead socially-conservative politician.

Plenty more where he came from, no great loss.

Well, that was the question asked and you did respond to the question in fairness, but I'm guessing now that you either believe in the banning of contraception and are tw oscared to say it or you don't believe in sexual intercourses for the purposes of love, so we'll leve thsi here, I suppose; and let the thread return to its topic of fawning over a dead socially-conservative politician.

No great loss.

:D:D:D

I've changed my mind - THAT'S the most hilariously ludicrous thing I've ever heard... would you listen to yourself :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

fryup wrote: »
    well how do you think people in the north feel....bloody friday, kingsmill, enniskillen, teebane, darkley massacres all swept under the rug...with some of the perpetrators walking the streets some of them in public office (SF)

Were these investigations closed down after a few weeks and all talk of findings silenced/covered up?

Do these incidents implicate a forgien government in largest act of Terrorism in the north??

If so they are comparable. ...if not it's messing

(RIP to this ould lad)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Didn't he block contraception reforms for married couples...? Slightly before my time, to be fair.

No. He voted against his own governments bill on it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Were these investigations closed down after a few weeks and all talk of findings silenced/covered up?

but there were never any investigations into those incidents.. thats the point
    Do these incidents implicate a foreign government in largest act of Terrorism in the north??
    If so they are comparable. ...if not it's messing

messing?? who do you think helped start up the provo's in the first place??...the irish government of 1970 thats who....not to mention a blind eye given to ira/inla training camps down south.....no one comes out of the troubles clean.

but there were never any investigations into those incidents.. thats the point

bloody friday, kingsmill, enniskillen, teebane, darkley massacres

Are you honestly telling me the ruc and special branch never investigated these??

i'm talking about serious investigations > tribunals, like you had for bloody sunday....there's never been anything like that for IRA atrocities..has there?

i'm talking about serious investigations > tribunals, like you had for bloody sunday....there's never been anything like that for IRA atrocities..has there?

Has anyone tried to whitewash/tarnish victims of ira attacks (like what happened bloody sunday)??

Has anyone suspected of coverup of collusion on ira attacks??

Has the taught occurred that these tribunals were only historically invistigsted because they weren't properly investigated at the time?

Unless you've no evidence to suggest otherwise,why would there be inquirys/tribunals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That's a profoundly ignorant comment even for AH.

Marital rape was legal until 1990. Until 1988 a husband could even go to court to obtain an injunction to restore his conjugal rights. So his wife's choice was have sex or go to prison.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement