Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to convert from Islam to Christianity?

• 04-10-2017 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone, I am currently a Muslim but I really want to change my religion to Christianity but I am not sure of how to do that or the right way to become a christian. I have loved Christianity since I was young because I met a lot of people who are Christians and they were so nice to me and accepted me the way I am unlike Muslims, I am expressing my true feelings and opinions here because am not supposed to hide anything, I have faced racism and discrimination from Muslims a lot but I never faced this from Christians. I have been to the church a lot when I was Vienna and they didn't mind me to be one of them even though I am Muslim. In Islam we always have to hate other religions and when other religions shows animosity towards us we get angry starts to kill innocent people, that's why I have always disliked Islam and I never liked what they do its incredibly obscene and I have always known that's its not what I should follow. I have faced misfortune a lot in my life from Muslims, that's why I honestly never liked Islam. I really want to know more about Christianity and on how I can be officially a Christian. I am happy to follow my own beliefs and what my heart says, I can't follow a religion that I can not accept. I always felt peace when I get into the Church unlike when I got in the mosques. I wish if someone could help me in converting to Christianity I would be really happy. I feel this is the right decision for me to take and am not going back to Islam when I become a Christian.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

alex8188 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I am currently a Muslim but I really want to change my religion to Christianity but I am not sure of how to do that or the right way to become a christian. I have loved Christianity since I was young because I met a lot of people who are Christians and they were so nice to me and accepted me the way I am unlike Muslims, I am expressing my true feelings and opinions here because am not supposed to hide anything, I have faced racism and discrimination from Muslims a lot but I never faced this from Christians. I have been to the church a lot when I was Vienna and they didn't mind me to be one of them even though I am Muslim. In Islam we always have to hate other religions and when other religions shows animosity towards us we get angry starts to kill innocent people, that's why I have always disliked Islam and I never liked what they do its incredibly obscene and I have always known that's its not what I should follow. I have faced misfortune a lot in my life from Muslims, that's why I honestly never liked Islam. I really want to know more about Christianity and on how I can be officially a Christian. I am happy to follow my own beliefs and what my heart says, I can't follow a religion that I can not accept. I always felt peace when I get into the Church unlike when I got in the mosques. I wish if someone could help me in converting to Christianity I would be really happy. I feel this is the right decision for me to take and am not going back to Islam when I become a Christian.

I'm afraid that no one can give you a firm formula to follow. Run a mile if they attempt to do so ("do this, say that, act this way, have water poured over your head ...and you'll be a Christian")

The only person who can make you a Christian, is God. And it's to him only you can turn.

So talk to him. Tell him what you've told us. Ask him to lead you to him. Tell him that you're prepared to wait until the time is right. Ask him to take whatever little bit of faith you have in him (be it the product of a negative experience with Islam, a gut sense that he must be there, a suspicion that he makes sense where all the alternative don't, whatever) and magnify it.

Don't stop talking (but don't go out of your way to talk, don't pray incessantly with fixed formula prayers). If you want to talk to him , then do. If you've nothing to say or ask or query or wonder about, then don't)

If you want to be led to him, he'll lead you to him.

(I remember praying this prayer from a position not quiet as pro-God as you appear to be)

Lord, I don't love
    I don't want to love you
    But I want to want to love you

He heard the heart behind that prayer and responded in time. You can be a long way away, as far away as I was, and he'll hear and respond.

You'll know when your a Christian when and if he makes you one. You won't mistake it for something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Being a Christian means believing that the man Jesus Christ is the son of God and died on behalf of all manknd to save them.

So no one can make you a Christian. If you believe the above then you are one. If you don't, then you're not one.

Joining a church group is a differ matter. Talk to a priest, vicar, pastor, preacher and see if their church seems like the right fit for you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

To convert is a slow and steady process. Depending on your age, you would contact a local priest in the nearest parish and then enrol in a RCIA course - Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults. This provides an overview of the Church and prepares you for the Sacraments. I think though you can attend mass at any stage and is a welcome step into the community.

Other good resources would be the EWTN site or https://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Manach wrote: »
    To convert is a slow and steady process. Depending on your age, you would contact a local priest in the nearest parish and then enrol in a RCIA course - Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults. This provides an overview of the Church and prepares you for the Sacraments. I think though you can attend mass at any stage and is a welcome step into the community.

Other good resources would be the EWTN site or https://www.reddit.com/r/Catholicism/

if the op wants to become RC!!

The biblical view and what was originally taught as Christianity is repentance of our sin and believing in Jesus. That He alone is God and in Him alone is salvation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Manach wrote: »

There are lots of branches of Christianity- These links are to become a member of the Catholic Church. The majority of christians living in Ireland are catholic but there are other "branches" (if that's the correct word) such as church of Ireland (Protestant).

Visit a few Sunday services in your local area. You can attend but shouldn't take communion in the Catholic Church until you have completed your RCIA course. See which you feel most welcome and talk to the minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭whydoc

Are you aware of the basics of Christianity ?
    Do you know the fundamental differences between Islam and Christianity ?
    Islamchristianity.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I heard that you can repeat out loud, three times the words "I am a Christian" and then do a twirl. That should do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

recedite wrote: »
    I heard that you can repeat out loud, three times the words "I am a Christian" and then do a twirl. That should do it.

A clockwise turn! You really don’t want to go the other way, OP!

Dude, you have to be careful with the advice you hand out on here.

endacl wrote: »
    A clockwise turn!
    Sorry, yes I forgot to mention that :o

• Moderators Posts: 51,860 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

recedite wrote: »

MOD NOTE

Posters are trying to help a poster looking for information on converting to Christianity.

It would be appreciated if you wouldn't derail the thread by mocking Christian beliefs.

Thanks for your attention.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Have a rasher sandwich and drink a few pints of Guinness to convince yourself it's a good idea.

Then get baptised. And go to mass/service/singalong every Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 alex8188

I really appreciate the ones who are trying to help me to convert to a Christian. I started to read the bible and about Christianity to educate myself more about it. I will start to go to the Church every Sunday now and hope they can accept me to be one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I really appreciate the ones who are trying to help me to convert to a Christian. I started to read the bible and about Christianity to educate myself more about it. I will start to go to the Church every Sunday now and hope they can accept me to be one of them.

Youre making a good start but Being a Christian is not about going to Church or joining a particular denomination and being accepted. It's about acknowledging our own sinfulness and Jesus who died on a cross, rose again and ascended to Heaven so that we might know what it is to have those sins forgiven.Its about accepting the claims He makes about Himself and us, and putting our faith in Him.

If you're in Dublin, I'm happy to meet with you in the next few weeks. I'm currently abroad.Just PM me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I will start to go to the Church every Sunday now and hope they can accept me to be one of them.

I've no doubt they will and the very best of luck with it, if for any reason they don't pick another church. I think that if you consider yourself to be a Christian, most people will accept that you're a Christian and for any that don't its their problem and not yours. If you do make it to Church on a regular basis, I'd certainly consider you every bit as Christian as most people calling themselves Christian in this country, if not more so.

If you're in Dublin, I'm happy to meet with you in the next few weeks. I'm currently abroad.Just PM me.
    Be careful with that sort of thing. Just saying ;)

Advertisement