If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best 4k TV for HDR movies and HDR gaming

Options
  • 04-10-2017 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭

I'm looking for a TV 49 inches or bigger.

I'll be using it for HDR Gaming and HDR movies via the new Xbox One X console coming out soon. 

Must be HDR 10 compatible.

I plan to eventually get the Samsung Dolby Atmos soundbar  to pair it with so must work well with that.

Simply put I'm looking for the best picture quality I can get in HDR for my budget of around 1000 sterling. 

Any recommendations? 

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

I'm looking for a TV 49 inches or bigger.

I'll be using it for HDR Gaming and HDR movies via the new Xbox One X console coming out soon. 

Must be HDR 10 compatible.

I plan to eventually get the Samsung Dolby Atmos soundbar  to pair it with so must work well with that.

Simply put I'm looking for the best picture quality I can get in HDR for my budget of around 1000 sterling. 

Any recommendations? 
    Hi Genetic,

apologies for the delay getting back to you..

...£1000 budget for a 49" - Nice - you will get a serious TV for that!

..But I'm just about to stomp all over your budget with the first 2 suggestions :D

Have a look at the Samsung QE49Q7F - Its a stunning TV both in Picture quality terms AND its looks ( that separate outboard Connection Box and tiny Optical signal looks amazing - it just kills me!) - It is a budget buster at £1299 / €1699 but if you could stretch we can do it on a Boardie special for you at just £1269 / €1499 including shipping and our 6 year 'at home' warranty..
    https://www.stuff.tv/samsung/qe49q7f/review

Next budget buster is the Sony KD49XE9005 - it is slightly closer to your budget but if anything I actually prefer it over the QE49Q7F from Samsung - Ok its doesn't have the sexy E Box or optical cable but its a gamers delight with super low lag times:

https://www.whathifi.com/sony/kd-49xe9005/review

..back to the realities of budget - we can do the KD49XE9005 on a Boardie special at £1149 / €1329 which is 'reasonably' close to budget :o

If you stick to the £1000 brief, and again that buys a whole lot of TV then have a look at the Panasonic TX58EX700 - its a beautiful screen and a whole lota screen for just £699 / £849 - I have very little price movement on it but we can do it at £699 / €829 including shipping and 6 year:
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202566-viera-tx50ex700b.aspx

If you wanted to look at LG - I'm going for broke again ( but this is possibly the best boardie deal! ) Have a look at the LG 55SJ950 - this is a really top-end spec TV with HDR10 / Dolby Vision & again it looks completely stunning! - Its a complete budget buster at £1499 / €1549 but we can do it at a stunning Boardie deal at £1149 / €1349 again inc delivery / 6 year - well worth checking out ...
    https://euro.richersounds.ie/p-202518-55sj950v.aspx

Thanks again for the post - check the above out and keep me posted!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭GeneticDeviant

Thanks for the reply,  what's the main. Differences between the Sony and the LG mentioned above? 

Hi genetic,

of course the main difference is size!

The Sony KD49XE9005 is a 49" Tv whilst the LG 55SJ950 is a 55" - they both sit close to the top of their respective ranges and they are both 4K Ultra HD sets.

The LG is an edge-lit TV whilst the Sony is direct lit - in terms of inputs they are broadly similar with 3 USB and 4 HDMI - the LG is an IPS panel which means that its good for off-axis viewing - the Sony has excellent input lag but the LG is no slouch either with virtually identical lag input figures- check it out here:
    http://www.lg.com/uk/tvs/lg-55SJ950V

Given that on the Boardie deal they are virtually the same price - if it was me i'd probably go for the LG 55SJ950 TBH,

Thanks again and keep us posted,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi genetic,

The Sony KD49XE9005 is a 49" Tv whilst the LG 55SJ950 is a 55" - they both sit close to the top of their respective ranges and they are both 4K Ultra HD sets.

The LG is an edge-lit TV whilst the Sony is direct lit - in terms of inputs they are broadly similar with 3 USB and 4 HDMI - the LG is an IPS panel which means that its good for off-axis viewing - the Sony has excellent input lag but the LG is no slouch either with virtually identical lag input figures- check it out here:

Given that on the Boardie deal they are virtually the same price - if it was me i'd probably go for the LG 55SJ950 TBH,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    The LG does indeed look great and would seem to tick all the boxes.   Just one thing I noticed is that it does not have the Ultra HD premium award.   Considering I will be using it for HDR content almost exclusively,   is this going to give me an inferior experience in regards picture quality etc?  Will this TV still be future proof for my needs? 

Hi genetic,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    The LG does indeed look great and would seem to tick all the boxes.   Just one thing I noticed is that it does not have the Ultra HD premium award.   Considering I will be using it for HDR content almost exclusively,   is this going to give me an inferior experience in regards picture quality etc?  Will this TV still be future proof for my needs? 
    Hi GeneticD,

let's get the honestly card out in the first instance - we just cannot guarantee that any TV will be future proof - the standard of TV you are looking at will give you the best assurance over standard TV's but the rate and pace of innovation means that we can ( and will never) say that any product is completely future-proof.

Specifically Ultra HD Premium is a brand new industry standard certification and the only TV that we  previously mentioned close to your budget that is certified UHD HD Premium is the Samsung QE49Q7F.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

• Advertisement

Hi genetic,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi GeneticD,

let's get the honestly card out in the first instance - we just cannot guarantee that any TV will be future proof - the standard of TV you are looking at will give you the best assurance over standard TV's but the rate and pace of innovation means that we can ( and will never) say that any product is completely future-proof.

Specifically Ultra HD Premium is a brand new industry standard certification and the only TV that we  previously mentioned close to your budget that is certified UHD HD Premium is the Samsung QE49Q7F.

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    I suppose what I was trying to ask is what is it about the LG set that means it doesn't get the Ultra HD Premium stamp?  I looked this up and it would appear to be the brightness of the TV in Mitts,  apparently it has to be a set brightness rating.   LG say they have got round this with some colour management thing,  all very technical to me.   How does the LG compare brightness wise with the Sony and Samsung?

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi genetic,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi GeneticD,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    I suppose what I was trying to ask is what is it about the LG set that means it doesn't get the Ultra HD Premium stamp?  I looked this up and it would appear to be the brightness of the TV in Mitts,  apparently it has to be a set brightness rating.   LG say they have got round this with some colour management thing,  all very technical to me.   How does the LG compare brightness wise with the Sony and Samsung?
    Hi GeneticD.

You are correct regarding the certification for Ultra HD Premium.

The Higher spec Sony's and Samsung's are very good and would have a slightly brighter image compared to the LG.
    For me the Sony 9005 series is a cracking television.

I went down the OLED route and purchased a LG a few months ago and it is amazing. The 55B6 also suffered a little for brightness which has been corrected for the new 55B7.

A lot of it is down to the individual and the image that you prefer. I was able to go into the settings and adjust the colour, brightness etc to make the picture the way that suits me.

Is there perhaps anywhere local to you that you might be able to see the sets in the flesh or maybe a trip to see us here in Belfast :)

Hi genetic,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi GeneticD,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi GeneticD.

The Higher spec Sony's and Samsung's are very good and would have a slightly brighter image compared to the LG.

I went down the OLED route and purchased a LG a few months ago and it is amazing. The 55B6 also suffered a little for brightness which has been corrected for the new 55B7.

A lot of it is down to the individual and the image that you prefer. I was able to go into the settings and adjust the colour, brightness etc to make the picture the way that suits me.

Is there perhaps anywhere local to you that you might be able to see the sets in the flesh or maybe a trip to see us here in Belfast :)
    Just popped into my local curry's,   they had the Samsung you recommended, but not the Sony or LG models, but had the models down from them.   They all looked pretty good.   But I was blown. Away by that OLED LG 55inch c7.   Wow what a difference.   Can you PM your very best deal on that model please. 

Hi genetic,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi GeneticD,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew
    Hi GeneticD.

Just popped into my local curry's,   they had the Samsung you recommended, but not the Sony or LG models, but had the models down from them.   They all looked pretty good.   But I was blown. Away by that OLED LG 55inch c7.   Wow what a difference.   Can you PM your very best deal on that model please. 
    Hey GeneticD.

Yeah the OLED's are something else :)

Is it the C7 version you are interested in or the B7?

Let me know and I'll drop over a PM.

The flat one will be fine :) 

• Advertisement

PM sent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

Sorry for sticking me beak in but C7 isn't curved!!! It has a different stand and black trim instead of the silver on the B7. Sorry Ritz!

Sorry for sticking me beak in but C7 isn't curved!!! It has a different stand and black trim instead of the silver on the B7. Sorry Ritz!
    Hey Moolers2000.

Yip you are correct.

The C in the 6 series was curved and I just took it for granted that so was the C7. 
    Its not one we've had in stock as it would be a special order for ourselves. It seems only Currys or PCworld stock it.

Hey Moolers2000.

Yip you are correct.

The C in the 6 series was curved and I just took it for granted that so was the C7. 
    Its not one we've had in stock as it would be a special order for ourselves. It seems only Currys or PCworld stock it.
    Spec wise though, these are identical right? 

Hey Moolers2000.

Yip you are correct.

Spec wise though, these are identical right? 
    Hey Moolers2000.

I've checked over the spec's and can't see any differences.
    http://www.lg.com/uk/lgcompf4/compare/compare.lg?category=/uk/tvs

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.