Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Street Performer loses an Eye in attack

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Sentence or jail time. I thought Ireland used the 300 strikes and you're out rule.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 50 ✭✭Couchpotato82

Shocking. Absolute scum. No other word for them. Age no excuse. Lock them up for a long long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

"An eye for an eye" King Hamarabi.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

We need to build a new prison and fill it with these parasites. Use them as slave labour to pay for services for the rest of us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Thank God that legal aid has been granted. Those two need help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Just more proof that our welfare state is a cause of crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Thank God that legal aid has been granted. Those two need help.

I hope that's sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Just more proof that our welfare state is a cause of crime.

:pac: What's this got to do with welfare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

And people stood by and let this happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

"no family member came to the proceedings for the 17-year-old boy."

Says it all really.

17 and 18...only a year younger at time if the crime. Children's court?! Definitely old enough to know better. They're not children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Cúnts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

They need to be put down. Anything else would be a waste of time and money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

people are afraid that they will either loose the fight defending people or winnand get sued
    im still gratefull the the coos back in 2000 who ran me after i stopped a man beating a woman up inndublin city center

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

What is an 18 year old doing in the Children's Court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

flaneur wrote: »

crime was commited at 17

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

He's travelled all over the world but as soon as he gets to Dublin some scumbag shoves a bottle in his face.

There's a picture of him after the attack here. http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/busker-left-blind-one-eye-11943265

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

He was probably 17 when the attack happened.

As for them being juveniles well if someone who is a juvenile commits a crime then their legal guardian(s) should be held responsible for the crime.

It's not good enough to give feral children a get of jail free card because their legal guardians havent raised them properly. Somewhere, sometime someone was supposed to raise these children and teach them right from wrong. They failed miserably and should be held to account just much, if not more, than the kids themselves.

I have to say though I find Dublin City Centre really, really intimidating and I have travelled a lot and lived in a good few places over the years.

My recent trips to Dublin.

1. Boarded Luas : Lads drinking from pint glasses and intimidating passengers.
    2. Guy chasing another guy down the street with an iron bar of some sort.
    3. Abuse hurled at me by some teenage girl when I was having coffee sitting outside.
    4. Junkies everywhere.
    5. Guy laid out, looking half dead, on the ground over by the Jervis Centre with people stepping around him.
    6. Made the mistake of walking to Smithfield via streets one behind the quays and it is an absolute kip. Vacant lots, buildings looking like they were falling down, general air of threat to the place.

When I walk around most cities I know there's an obscure chance of a pick pocket, a mugger or a terrorist but when I walk around Dublin I am constantly looking out for people who might jump out and attack me.

Aspects of the city are fine but you shouldn't be wandering around with this 'dread' when you spot a stereotypical 'scumbag' (of which there are plenty) walking towards you.

I hate to say it but our capital city is and has been for years, completely out of control.
    The Gardai either won't police it or don't have the resources to and the legislation or whatever is preventing proper sentencing needs to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Why was an 18 year old at a children’s court?

Such a flawed and expensive justice system we have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

In fairness the way town has gone downhill with all these ferral teenagers running amok and tooled up carrying stanley blades, would you intervene if you saw this happen if you were on your own, I dont think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

still least they're on bail...

He's travelled all over the world but as soon as he gets to Dublin some scumbag shoves a bottle in his face.

There's a picture of him after the attack here. http://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/busker-left-blind-one-eye-11943265

There is scumbags everywhere. I'd walk around anywhere in Dublin before i'd walk around parts of Naples, Chicago, Paris, London, Stockholm or scores of other European cities. That's not to mention the obvious s hi tholes in the middle east, Africa or South America.

Sick to death of people running down Dublin because of a few thugs. It's a great city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

It doesn't bother that girl in a wheelchair, it did bother another girl in a wheelchair, as people went to great lengths to patronisingly point out when it suited, they're not all the same. And we all have good days and bad days. She might be better off having her bad days away from the public eye, but it's not an excuse for grown adults to dine out on it when she doesn't have the sense to stay off Twitter on a bad day, or she makes a complaint they don't deem inportant

"When it suited... ". Not so. And I was speaking from experience not being patronising. Whereas you demeaned my career and pitied my clients.

I have to say though I find Dublin City Centre really, really intimidating and I have travelled a lot and lived in a good few places over the years.

My recent trips to Dublin.

1. Boarded Luas : Lads drinking from pint glasses and intimidating passengers.
    2. Guy chasing another guy down the street with an iron bar of some sort.
    3. Abuse hurled at me by some teenage girl when I was having coffee sitting outside.
    4. Junkies everywhere.
    5. Guy laid out, looking half dead, on the ground over by the Jervis Centre with people stepping around him.
    6. Made the mistake of walking to Smithfield via streets one behind the quays and it is an absolute kip. Vacant lots, buildings looking like they were falling down, general air of threat to the place.

When I walk around most cities I know there's an obscure chance of a pick pocket, a mugger or a terrorist but when I walk around Dublin I am constantly looking out for people who might jump out and attack me.

Aspects of the city are fine but you shouldn't be wandering around with this 'dread' when you spot a stereotypical 'scumbag' (of which there are plenty) walking towards you.

I hate to say it but our capital city is and has been for years, completely out of control.
    The Gardai either won't police it or don't have the resources to and the legislation or whatever is preventing proper sentencing needs to change.

What a load of complete and utter nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Guys lost his eye, legal costs will be into 10s of thousands, little ****s will be let off to run amuck cause more trouble.

True winners here are the legal system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Dublin is a dive and getting more dangerous by the day. Gangs of feral thugs wandering around often drunk or doped to the eyeballs looking for their next victim. Cops not bothered about sorting it out.

BillyBobBS wrote: »

How is the fact that every time I go to Dublin I'm basically wandering past scumbags doing scumbag stuff. I know I tend to end up in the North Inner City quite a bit when I'm there, but that is the city centre.

If you stay around the southern parts of the city centre you don't see anything like it, but the whole stretch from D1 to D7 is both in dire need of policing and investment. For a city that's had a massive property bubble and is currently going through another property boom, I have no idea how it has so many tumbledown buildings.

Are planners and Gardai just happy to accept that the entire northern half of the city centre is plunged into kipdom forever and just write it off?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Dublin needs a hard-nosed Mayor with powers to filter the scum out of the city, ban them from public transport, ban them from the city centre etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Admittedly it would achieve nothing, but those are two scumbags you'd love to see the shíte hammered out of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Sick to death of people running down Dublin because of a few thugs. It's a great city.

No it's not, it's a complete **** hole and it's centre cannot be compared to the centre of any other western capital city, every city has slums and no go areas but they are outside the centre, Dublin problems are all in the city centre.
    If I never had to go into Dublin centre again I'd be delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Uosdwis R. Dewoh

It's only nonsense if the poster's experiences are lies, and you have no way of proving that.

I love Dublin too - it is a great city and I do agree with you that some people are utterly hysterical about it, as if there are no nice parts at all, but you can't condemn people for describing things they actually experienced or saw.

Dublin being small and compact in comparison to other European capitals makes the threat seem more immediate. And there is no centralised location for drug addicts to go and shoot gear, so they annoy folk in the city centre instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Poor guy. He was here just two days and this happened. Guy just wanted to entertain some people and maybe make some money, but ends up losing an eye instead. F8cking scumbags. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Would you like to expand on that? :confused::confused::confused:

When ever I go into the city centre its crammed with junkies and beggars, its chronic, Iv been in a lot of other cities abroad and they werent nearly as bad as the OConnell street / city centre area.

However if any politician suggested moving these people along and cleaning up the area they'd get wild criticism so iv really no idea what can be done.

Also he had retrieved an amplifier that was taken from him!
    Being new to the city I suppose he did not know what he was dealing with. Do not do this folks, let it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Perhaps what is needed is more correctional facilities, so instead of new fancy taxi boats for the Med.
    Maybe something like NYC's 47,000-ton behemoth, plenty of space for 870 or so. It's not pretty, but neither are these type of stories.

-jship.jpg-jship2.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Dublin is a dive and getting more dangerous by the day. Gangs of feral thugs wandering around often drunk or doped to the eyeballs looking for their next victim. Cops not bothered about sorting it out.

In fairness, it's not just Dublin. Here's three violent cases from Cork this year:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/mma-fighter-lucky-to-be-alive-after-gang-attack-446417.html
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/gardai-arrest-three-men-after-man-20s-beaten-with-crutch-in-violent-city-centre-attack-35179706.html
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/three-stabbed-in-slash-hook-attack-in-estate-in-cork-804773.html

Scumbags in pretty much every city these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Do Gardaí in Dublin realise how serious loutish and anti social behavior effects the image and view people have of Irelands Capital city. It doesn't seem to be treated as serious as it should be. You need to clamp down very hard on this crime and rid the streets of these nasty people. Nobody wants to see or hear anything about this, especially tourists, it's bloody ridiculous every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

In fairness, it's not just Dublin. Here's three violent cases from Cork this year:

They were all from Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Can someone post a link to his go find me page please

The one ref on that page isn't a direct link

On a smart phone and can't find it

Would like to donate a few bob to the fellow

He could have the sofa for a few days if he wanted

Fcuk me what an attack on the poor fellow

Do Gardaí in Dublin realise how serious loutish and anti social behavior effects the image and view people have of Irelands Capital city.

I think they do, they are in the middle of it and deal with the consequences every day.

However they probably do not have the political backup required to sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

A direct link to his go fund me page ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,647 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

worded wrote: »
    Can someone post a link to his go find me page please

The one ref on that page isn't a direct link

On a smart phone and can't find it

Would like to donate a few bob to the fellow

He could have the sofa for a few days if he wanted

Fcuk me what an attack on the poor fellow

I hope this helps worded, I found something on Facebook to do with Mark Beltran. https://www.facebook.com/search/str/mark+beltran+go+fund+me/keywords_blended_featured_posts?esd=eyJlc2lkIjoiUzpfSTIyMzIzNjcyMTAzNzE2MToxMzkzODc0MDQzOTczNDE3IiwicHNpZCI6eyIyMjMyMzY3MjEwMzcxNjE6MTM5Mzg3NDA0Mzk3MzQxNyI6IlV6cGZTVEl5TXpJek5qY3lNVEF6TnpFMk1Ub3hNemt6T0RjME1EUXpPVGN6TkRFMyJ9LCJjcmN0IjoidGV4dCIsImNzaWQiOiIyNzQ0NGRiNDgwMmI4NDIxMTI2Yzc5NDQ1NDU5YTU3NiJ9

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

There is scumbags everywhere. I'd walk around anywhere in Dublin before i'd walk around parts of Naples, Chicago, Paris, London, Stockholm or scores of other European cities. That's not to mention the obvious s hi tholes in the middle east, Africa or South America.

I've been to over 35 countries, and Dublin is a major ****hole.

What part of what I said isn't based on fact? He said in the article he's been all over the world. No one destroyed his face with a glass bottle anywhere else.

The Gofundme page has been taken down by the looks of things.

This attack happened a year ago. According to his Facebook page he's gotten a prosthetic eye. I assume he got as much money as he needed so he shut down the page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Only two cities I've ever felt concerned for my personal safety. Dakar, Senegal and Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭fash

Lived in a lot of cities and agree that Dublin is one of the most unsafe feeling. Some other places you worry about pick pockets -in Ireland you worry about ending up a vegetable on life support because some scumbag wants to bring some excitement to his day (and he knows he will get no punishment for it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Stuckforcash

North inner city is like a post apocalyptic hell hole. Rubbish and dog sh1t everywhere and feral kids smashing cars because they're bored. It's the filthiest place in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 goodluckduck

There is scumbags everywhere. I'd walk around anywhere in Dublin before i'd walk around parts of Naples, Chicago, Paris, London, Stockholm or scores of other  European cities. That's not to mention the obvious s hi tholes in the middle east, Africa or South America.

Only two cities I've ever felt concerned for my personal safety.  Dakar, Senegal and Dublin.
    North inner city is like a post apocalyptic hell hole. Rubbish and dog sh1t everywhere and feral kids smashing cars because they're bored. It's the filthiest place in Ireland.
    Agree with all this.  Have lived and worked in cities across US, Asia and Europe and probably visted 40+ countries on shorter trips and Dublin is genuinely the most unsafe I've ever felt in an urban centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Dublin is a s**thole, always has been and always will be.

• Advertisement
Advertisement