Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Street Performer loses an Eye in attack

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

BillyBobBS wrote:
    There is scumbags everywhere. I'd walk around anywhere in Dublin before i'd walk around parts of Naples, Chicago, Paris, London, Stockholm or scores of other European cities. That's not to mention the obvious s hi tholes in the middle east, Africa or South America.

How many of these cities have you been in?

I've been in most of them and never felt threatened whilst in the middle of the tourist hotspot. I've been to 30+ cities in Europe and America, and have never felt unsafe.

Lived in Dublin for three years and hated the air of intimidation I regularly felt by the scumbags in the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭BillyBobBS

I love Dublin. I'm a southsider but the wit and charm of the people from south and north side is fantastic. Yeah it's a pity for this guy but overall Dublin is safer than a lot of cities in Europe. Wonderful city and people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I dont care what other cities are like. We should not accept anti-social behaviour just because it may or may not be worse elsewhere. It should not be tolerated but for some reason it is. There doesnt seem to be any political will to address it either, even though it is an issue that affects everybody. It is very strange that no Political Party is willing to take it on despite it being quite popular. Renua were the only party to discuss it in the last election with the 3 strikes proposal.

We know full well these guys wont serve more than 5 years for what they did. And that is being generous, I reckon they'll probably only have a 1-2 year stay in Prison when you take into account remission and the inevitable suspension part. When they get out, like the guy who's family want nothing to do with him, we'll be treated to the sob story of how the state has failed him because he lives on the street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

i've often wondered how street performers do it? yes they get applause & praise from the general public..but they also revcieve a lot of grief & abuse too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Such a sad and regrettable story on many levels, and obviously I just wish it hadn't happened, indeed I wish the poor fella woke up and discovered it was all a bad dream......

Here for just a couple of days then loses an eye.

Terrible story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

DellyBelly wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/two-teens-sent-for-trial-over-horrific-oconnell-street-attack-after-which-performer-lost-an-eye-808538.html

Read this today and was pretty shocked by it. Seems like there is a real feral population of kids out there. I'll be interested to see what sentence they'll get. Surely jail time?

I'm calling Suspended Sentence here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I was walking up O Connell Street a few weeks ago and there was a gang of scumbag teenagers hanging around outside of Pennys. Had that sense that something was about to kick off.

One of the girls in the gang picked up a glass bottle and flung it at a random person standing at a bus stop. The bottle smacked the girl in the back very hard but didn't break. They all burst out laughing.

What followed was amazing. The girl who was hit by the bottle turned out to be a Brazilian metal head who had a big burly boyfriend with her. (by the looks of things, this wasn't their first rodeo)

Brazilian chick picked up the bottle, ran at the teen who threw it at her (who was now looking decidedly sheepish) and smashed it over her head, before proceeding to lay a load of digs into her.

I know smashing glass bottles over teenagers heads probably isn't the answer, but my god was that smash sound satisfying.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I was walking up O Connell Street a few weeks ago and there was a gang of scumbag teenagers hanging around outside of Pennys. Had that sense that something was about to kick off.

One of the girls in the gang picked up a glass bottle and flung it at a random person standing at a bus stop. The bottle smacked the girl in the back very hard but didn't break. They all burst out laughing.

What followed was amazing. The girl who was hit by the bottle turned out to be a Brazilian metal head who had a big burly boyfriend with her. (by the looks of things, this wasn't their first rodeo)

Brazilian chick picked up the bottle, ran at the teen who threw it at her (who was now looking decidedly sheepish) and smashed it over her head, before proceeding to lay a load of digs into her.

I know smashing glass bottles over teenagers heads probably isn't the answer, but my god was that smash sound satisfying.

Appalling. Violence isn't the answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

BillyBobBS wrote: »

What is? What else will get these feral teenagers to change their behaviour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

If it resulted in her never throwing a bottle again, then it was the answer. Sometimes being on the receiving end of what you have been giving out is the best answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Half the problem is that these kind of people don't fear anything. They don't fear the police or authorities because the repercussions are meaningless to them and the don't fear the people they attack because there's never any retaliation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,265 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Violence isn't the answer to the overall problem, I agree.

However, when someone attacks a random person on the street 'for the lulz', then a bit of retaliatory violence can go along way in teaching the scrotes not to do it again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

rodeo? never heard that term before....you mean skirmish/scrap?

lovely:p oh how i wish that was on youtube

(of course don't try that yourselves folks)

What is? What else will get these feral teenagers to change their behaviour?

Hard labour. If they work take a percentage of their wages. If they are on welfare take a percentage of that. Build proper prisons etc...

Violence isn't the answer and anyone suggesting it is just as bad as them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I love Dublin. I'm a southsider but the wit and charm of the people from south and north side is fantastic. Yeah it's a pity for this guy but overall Dublin is safer than a lot of cities in Europe. Wonderful city and people.

Yeah but still... **** like this filmed from a tourbus, 700.000 views.
    It is not helping the tourist industry, no matter how often you say it is all great in Dublin city centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

If someone tries to assault someone or throws a bottle at someone then I have little sympathy for them if the the tables are turned. Perhaps using the bottle was a bit extreme but the person who threw the bottle initially had it coming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

yes it is

its the language that they understand .

its clear, direct and unmistakable .

the fact that actions have consequences is something that is not understood.

its very easy to link that violent actions have violent consequences

simple really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

flaneur wrote: »
    I have to say though I find Dublin City Centre really, really intimidating
    kravmaga wrote: »
    In fairness the way town has gone downhill with all these ferral teenagers ....
    Dublin is a dive and getting more dangerous by the day. Gangs of feral thugs wandering around ......
    Only two cities I've ever felt concerned for my personal safety. Dakar, Senegal and Dublin.
    fash wrote: »
    Lived in a lot of cities and agree that Dublin is one of the most unsafe feeling.
    Dublin is genuinely the most unsafe I've ever felt in an urban centre.
    Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Lived in Dublin for three years and hated the air of intimidation I regularly felt by the scumbags in the city centre.

What is it about threads like this that brings out hoards of people that are petrified of Dublin city centre? Is that the consensus?

I get that it could be cleaner, and there are a lot of homeless/drug addicts/drunks around. I've lived here years (various areas,north side now) and would not bat an eyelid being in the city centre day or night. And I'm hardly what anyone would call a hard man.

Is this just a vocal minority/online amplification or are people generally scared of their own shíte about being in the city centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Autochange wrote: »
    We need to build a new prison and fill it with these parasites. Use them as slave labour to pay for services for the rest of us

Pff screw that just put em down and toss whats left in the Poolbeg Incinerator. Place is safer and free power as a bonus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Do Gardaí in Dublin realise how serious loutish and anti social behavior effects the image and view people have of Irelands Capital city. It doesn't seem to be treated as serious as it should be. You need to clamp down very hard on this crime and rid the streets of these nasty people. Nobody wants to see or hear anything about this, especially tourists, it's bloody ridiculous every day of the week.

What are the Gardai supposed to do about it? They put in the work, they arrest these f*ckers, they collect evidence, send them to trial, and the judge lets them go. Blaming the cops is unfair in the Irish context, it's the judicial system that has a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

What is it about threads like this that brings out hoards of people that are petrified of Dublin city centre? Is that the consensus?

I get that it could be cleaner, and there are a lot of homeless/drug addicts/drunks around. I've lived here years (various areas,north side now) and would not bat an eyelid being in the city centre day or night. And I'm hardly what anyone would call a hard man.

Is this just a vocal minority/online amplification or are people generally scared of their own sh about being in the city centre?

Agree with this. Have never once had an iota of trouble in the city centre, nor have I ever felt intimidated being in there moreso than I would anyone else. Some people probably shouldn't leave their immediate vacinities if they're this terrified. It's a city centre, it's got the biggest population on the island, there'll be more people there than anywhere else and a lot more going on. I'm sure every other major city has sh*t like going on in it if you look beneath the surface. 999 times out of 1000, you'll be grand. Leave the cotton wool at home.

Is this just a vocal minority/online amplification or are people generally scared of their own shíte about being in the city centre?

I've never been started on in Dublin City either and yet I'm in full agreement with those posters, because I've seen it happen to other people. Homeless, drug addicts and drunks as you've mentioned are not the problem - the majority of them actually just keep to themselves and don't bother people. It's the antisocial gobsh!tes who think it's fun to get in peoples' faces and threaten them or worse, and it's those gobsh!tes who aren't being sent to jail where they belong.

I've only seen a genuine scrap involving a f*ck load of these assholes once, when I got lost on the way home from a session and wandered accidentally into a fairly notorious spot near the Guinness Storehouse - but the question remains all these years later, why wasn't every single one of the assholes I saw setting fire to things and throwing them at eachother and at peoples' property not in jail? We need an absolute zero tolerance policy to this crap. Lock them up and let everyone else enjoy their lives in peace, it's just that simple.

EDIT: Another example - those two German students who got stabbed in Herberton a few years ago. The road beside it, St Anthony's, is notorious among Dubliners but as one news article pointed out, "nobody would have warned these tourists of the dangers awaiting them just outside the door of their well advertised apartment" - the problem I have is, why do we allow areas to get a reputation? They wouldn't get a reputation to begin with if every single person ever caught engaging in violence was locked up where they couldn't engage in any more violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

What are the Gardai supposed to do about it? They put in the work, they arrest these f*ckers, they collect evidence, send them to trial, and the judge lets them go. Blaming the cops is unfair in the Irish context, it's the judicial system that has a problem.

I understand and I would never blame the Gardaí for most 'bad' stuff... I do think they are not tough enough on the very visible bad lads around the City centre, and I also do think there is too much paper work involved.... <<That said, I think they should be given more powers to just get these louts home and away from the City centre, as for dangerous/no go areas in the City Centre! Well there is absolutely no excuse for such places to exist, whether it's a main shopping bar/restaurant area or a wee laneway or alleyway NO EXCUSE AT-ALL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

T-Maxx wrote: »
    They need to be put down. Anything else would be a waste of time and money.

Nah. Just shoot the first, and word will spread...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

Infini wrote: »
    Pff screw that just put em down and toss whats left in the Poolbeg Incinerator. Place is safer and free power as a bonus!

I like your idea better. Their plasticy tracksuits will cause air pollution when they burn though

I understand and I would never blame the Gardaí for most 'bad' stuff... I do think they are not tough enough on the very visible bad lads around the City centre, and I also do think there is too much paper work involved.... <<That said, I think they should be given more powers to just get these louts home and away from the City centre, as for dangerous/no go areas in the City Centre! Well there is absolutely no excuse for such places to exist, whether it's a main shopping bar/restaurant area or a wee laneway or alleyway NO EXCUSE AT-ALL.

Again though what can they do? Just keep arresting these people temporarily until they can be brought before a judge and told they're free to go because they have good enough sob stories, only to be back at it again the following afternoon?

I can't imagine how demoralising it must be to be a hard working cop who consistently sees the judiciary literally tearing up that hard work and tossing it in the bin by consistently letting these people go after the Gardai do the work of catching them, preparing evidence, building a case, and successfully obtaining a guilty verdict. After a while, you're surely going to question what the point is in doing your job well when the people at the next stage make it totally worthless by taking no action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Uosdwis R. Dewoh

Beautiful. :)
    Hard labour. If they work take a percentage of their wages. If they are on welfare take a percentage of that. Build proper prisons etc...

Violence isn't the answer and anyone suggesting it is just as bad as them.
    Huh? People who just suggest violent retaliation to violence are "as bad as" people who carry out unprovoked assaults for the craic? Yeah obviously they're not.

What that Brazilian woman did was self defence - it was not "appalling". The incident she was retaliating to was appalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

siblers wrote: »
    If it resulted in her never throwing a bottle again, then it was the answer. Sometimes being on the receiving end of what you have been giving out is the best answer

+ 1

I think its called the Bully getting owned and instant Karma

The Irish scum bag has rights you know LOL ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALw17Dm6uUE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Just more proof that our welfare state is a cause of crime.

Yes, all the most violent states in the world have extensive social welfare.

What that Brazilian woman did was self defence - it was not "appalling". The incident she was retaliating to was appalling.

It wasn't self defence. The incident had passed, the bottle was thrown, the poster did not say there was an ongoing assault. In fact he said she had to run to the girl, they were not even in very close proximity. It was getting her back, which is very different.

And to break a bottle over someone's head is indeed appalling. Which is, obviously, not to excuse what the victim of that assault had done.

• Advertisement

It wasn't self defence. The incident had passed, the bottle was thrown, the poster did not say there was an ongoing assault. In fact he said she had to run to the girl, they were not even in very close proximity. It was getting her back, which is very different.

And to break a bottle over someone's head is indeed appalling. Which is, obviously, not to excuse what the victim of that assault had done.

Bet the asshole who started it will think twice before tossing a bottle at someone again though, wouldn't you?

In a country where scrotes can rack up over 9,000 previous convictions and still not get punished for it, what do you suggest people do to deter this kind of crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

In a country where scrotes can rack up over 9,000 previous convictions and still not get punished for it, what do you suggest people do to deter this kind of crap?

Start a thread on boards

Bet the asshole who started it will think twice before tossing a bottle at someone again though, wouldn't you?

Oh very true. One could think of many revenge fantasies that would achieve that in the world of "two very violent wrongs make a right".

I just disagree with the idea that "they'll never do it again" of itself vindicates the act of revenge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This is the correct way to deal with scum accosting you in the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Omackeral wrote: »
    This is the correct way to deal with scum accosting you in the city centre.

Old wise teacher of mine in primary school to a bigger than averages sized bully in the class ...

"One day you will pick on someone and you are going to get the hiding of your life". As predicted a year later in the play ground it happened ....

A lot of the time these feral city scum bags work in packs and its difficult to win in a fight having been provoked or attacked. It's great to see them get the hiding they deserve.

Polish mate says they don't put up with scumbags in city's the way we do here.

Oh very true. One could think of many revenge fantasies that would achieve that in the world of "two very violent wrongs make a right".

I just disagree with the idea that "they'll never do it again" of itself vindicates the act of revenge.

Part of the reason we have a criminal justice system is so that the victims of crime can feel that they have had justice served for the wrongs committed against them, so when that system breaks down, it's inevitable that people will seek justice in their own way.

I don't know how far back in Irish history the scourge of suspended sentences for violent crime goes, but I know that I've been reading truly astonishing cases (previous convictions in the double digits and still getting no time for savagely beating somebody or worse) since at least the mid-2000s. You'd think the system would have got its act together since then, but it hasn't - and as a result, Dublin City continues to be a place in which scumbags act with the accurate assumption that nothing of note will befall them if the Gardai do manage to catch them.

Does anyone know if this issue is unique to Dublin - do Dublin's district and circuit courts just have a batch of particularly inept judges at the current time, or is total impunity a nationwide issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

I like the way that you only quoted the part of my input which suited your argument.

As I've said before, I've been to dozens of cities around the world and never felt as uncomfortable as I would in Dublin City centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Seriously? So what is it you suggest this woman should have done after this scumbag threw a bottle at her, presumably to cause serious injury? Walk away and count yourself lucky that you didn't end up in hospital? By picking up a bottle and throwing at a stranger you have just committed a serious assault, as we already know from experience the guards will do nothing in a case like this, unless they witness it, and even then its questionable. The victim in question was dead right, the only language these people understand is violence, fight fire with fire, they laugh at civilised society with our rules that protect them over the real victims.

It is attitudes like yours that are the root of the problem, and allow these scumbags carrying out viscous assaults with impunity.

rustynutz wrote: »
    It is attitudes like yours that are the root of the problem, and allow these scumbags carrying out viscous assaults with impunity.

Yes.

That makes complete sense. I'm critical of a person taking a bottle and hitting someone over the head with it. You're cheering on the violence and saying it's a perfectly legitimate and acceptable response.

And in your universe where two violent assaults make a right, attitudes like mine are the root of the problem.

Good man...

• Advertisement

This is the country we live in im afraid. The police force and justice system do nothing to deter these scumbags from attacking, abusing and assaulting normal decent citizens. The only real defense we have is to stand up for ourselves and when the chance presents itself to kick the living crap out of someone who tries to harm us.

If we could only get passers by who witness these incidents to join in aswell helping the victim to dish out mob justice we would all be better off and safer on our streets.

This is the country we live in im afraid. The police force and justice system do nothing to deter these scumbags from attacking, abusing and assaulting normal decent citizens...

I don't know anyone who would take a bottle, hit a teenage girl over the head with it, and be considered "normal" and "decent".

I guess we just have different standards. You are for meeting violence with more violence. I disagree.

I don't know anyone who would take a bottle, hit a teenage girl over the head with it, and be considered "normal" and "decent".

I guess we just have different standards. You are for meeting violence with more violence. I disagree.

Thats your view and of course you are entitled to it but hopefully you are never put in a situation where you are surrounded and attacked for no reason.

Onlookers wont help. Most people will walk away or take out their phones and video it to send to their friends

The attackers IF caught will just add another conviction to their list and be back on the street while you might be dealing with physical and psychological damage for the rest of your life.

Thats your view and of course you are entitled to it but hopefully you are never put in a situation where you are surrounded and attacked for no reason.

But that's not what happened here, was it?

In fact, the poster particularly described the person as having a big burly boyfriend with her, and both looked used to fighting. So she picked up the bottle, ran at the teenage girl who threw it, broke it over her skull and starting thumping her.

Now it's your prerogative to find that an acceptable response. I don't. It's the classic assault case where both should be prosecuted.

But that's not what happened here, was it?

In fact, the poster particularly described the person as having a big burly boyfriend with her, and both looked used to fighting. So she picked up the bottle, ran at the teenage girl who threw it, broke it over her skull and starting thumping her.

Now it's your prerogative to find that an acceptable response. I don't. It's the classic assault case where both should be prosecuted.

Im not talking about that case. Im talking about in general.

That girl that went for the scumbag that threw the bottle at her did the right thing imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Uosdwis R. Dewoh

If unprovoked, of course, but you left out that she was provoked.

Ok it wasn't self defence, I was wrong - but it was in retaliation. No scumbag throwing bottle at her back for no reason = no scumbag getting the bottle cracked over her head. It was her own fault.

The vast majority of people, including me, would be too scared to retaliate - I think fair play to the Brazilian woman for not letting that little weapon get away with trying to assault (and nearly succeeding) and humiliating her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Two youths are facing trial for taking part in a serious attack on Dublin’s O’Connell Street which left a Canadian street performer blind in one eye.
    Both are charged with taking part in violent disorder together and with others on September 9 last year.
    They were warned they must obey a list of bail conditions which included having no contact with each other or witnesses in the case.
    Nothing will come of this. Most likely a slap on the wrist with a 6 month suspended sentence which will never be activated.

Yes.

That makes complete sense. I'm critical of a person taking a bottle and hitting someone over the head with it. You're cheering on the violence and saying it's a perfectly legitimate and acceptable response.

And in your universe where two violent assaults make a right, attitudes like mine are the root of the problem.

Good man...

Do you know what? If we lived in a normal, functioning society, where the bad guys get arrested and sent to prison for a long time when they commit a crime, I would actually agree with your stance on this.

But guess what, we don't. Open the paper, watch the news or walk down the street of any city centre at night, there are a group of scumbags, growing in numbers and confidence, without any fear of repercussion, terrorising and assaulting innocent people every single day.

And the guards, or the judicial system, if it ever gets that far, for whatever reason, aren't willing to punish them. Being a victim of assault can change someone's life, make them afraid to go out, anxiety attacks etc. but at least there is some comfort in seeing the perpetrator locked up, if the system was just.

Failing that, in the case of the Brazilian woman, i would rather walk away from that situation, knowing that the person who attacked me, had been dealt a little justice, rather than feeling like a victim, and the person would probably not be punished, and likely to assault someone else.

As a matter of interest, how would you have handled the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

Life in Dublin is a two edged sword.If i stay in the house then i will get attacked by feral inner city skanger rats breaking in to rob me.Yet if i venture outdoors then i also run the risk of being attacked and robbed by feral inner city skanger rats.What does one do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Noveight wrote: »
    Admittedly it would achieve nothing, but those are two scumbags you'd love to see the shíte hammered out of.

The thing with scumbags is they are all mouth and wont do anything unless they well outnumber you.

I read somewhere years ago it costs 70,000 per prisoner per year, why not build a huge prison with a lead roof(to stop mobile phone use) that costs 10,000 a year per prisoner, use Mountjoy for 1st and 2nd offences and the new prison after that.

It would clear lots more scum off streets, take pressure off front line services and courts and would give the decent people their country back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement