Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car abandoned

Options
  • 05-10-2017 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭

Someone has left a car parked outside my house for more than a year now. I live on an estate, the whole area has parking spots marked out, and this car is parked in one of several along the footpath outside my house, Spaces can be scarce, and I've had to park across the street several times, an it's beginning to P*ss me off.

Any ideas how to go about getting rid of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Does it have valid tax and insurance? If not and it hasn't been moved in a year, ring your local county council, report it as an abandoned vehicle and ask them to put it on their list for removal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

More pertinently- does it have number plates?
    If it does- An Garda Síochána can contact the last registered owner- who is obliged to remove it.
    If they sold it onwards- but didn't ensure the paperwork was submitted (its an RF 200 form)- they continue to be liable for the car (the regime changed after the 1st of Jan 1993- up to that date- the buyer of a car notified their local motor tax office of their purchase of the car- the current regime is the seller completes the logbook with the buyer- and the seller sends the logbook down to the Ennis VRU- who re-issue an updated logbook to the new owner).

If the car is a post 1992 car- the last registered owner is legally responsible for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

Will the county council remove the car though if it is parked in a private estate? I've known management companies to have cars removed by private operators only to have someone turn up out of the woodwork looking for their car! "Oh, I'm sorry that's been crushed" doesn't always sit well with the owner.

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Is the parking spot yours or is it public? If it's public and the car has all the documents, you can't do anything about it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Is the parking spot yours or is it public? If it's public and the car has all the documents, you can't do anything about it really.

The parking spot is for use as a parking space which necessarily involves the car being used, moved etc from time to time. If it has been there for 12 months without moving then there is a rebuttable presumption that it is being stored there as opposed to being parked which is an ancillary function to using the road. In this case, it has moved from parking to storage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

If it looks genuinely abandoned, the management company can sticker it for a sufficient period of time - warning it'll be removed if not vouched for - before having it removed.

We've done that before.

What's annoying though is that you'll get people that will claim it and just let it lie there. There's a car on our estate with flat wheels and outdated discs that hasn't moved from the spot for months and any time it's stickered, they ring in and claim it even though it's just falling apart, taking up a pretty scarce parking spot.

Actually, on that note, our agent told us we can't do anything about it. Has anybody any experience in getting round this, given that the discs are all out of date and it's an eyesore taking up a parking spot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

More pertinently- does it have number plates?
    If it does- An Garda Síochána can contact the last registered owner- who is obliged to remove it.
    If they sold it onwards- but didn't ensure the paperwork was submitted (its an RF 200 form)- they continue to be liable for the car (the regime changed after the 1st of Jan 1993- up to that date- the buyer of a car notified their local motor tax office of their purchase of the car- the current regime is the seller completes the logbook with the buyer- and the seller sends the logbook down to the Ennis VRU- who re-issue an updated logbook to the new owner).

If the car is a post 1992 car- the last registered owner is legally responsible for it.

I thought this was the case regardless :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭blackbird 49

This happened to my brother, car outside his house about 8 months, rang the Gardai, gave them the reg number, rang him back a couple of days later they found who owned it she did'nt seem that bother to get it back, 3 months later its still there, he had rang the co council in the mean time they were too bother either, lucky enough he knew a fella that he had worked with who is a member of the co council and he got it removed, Not really helping you but just letting you know this could happen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Ginger83

TooObvious wrote: »
    Will the county council remove the car though if it is parked in a private estate? I've known management companies to have cars removed by private operators only to have someone turn up out of the woodwork looking for their car! "Oh, I'm sorry that's been crushed" doesn't always sit well with the owner.

<snip>

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Mod note: Guys please, every time this topic comes up the same illegal advice is proposed. I will card or ban the next suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

I've a similar issue outside my house. Cops never got back to me and didn't seem interested. Council won't do anything because it's in an estate that hasn't been handed over to them. In the meantime I've had members of the travelling community hammering down my door every few weeks asking me am I selling the car. I should probably say yes next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

The only time a council will remove an abandoned car is when it has no number plates & the owner can't be traced. It doesn't matter if it has tax or insurance discs or not. The Gardai don't get involved.
    The council removed one from my estate which had no number plates before the estate was taken in charge. The owner accused the management company of removing it but a management company can't remove a car regardless of whether or not it's taxed, or insured, or for any other reason.

April 73 wrote: »
    The owner accused the management company of removing it but a management company can't remove a car regardless of whether or not it's taxed, or insured, or for any other reason.

They can and have done so.

They can and have done so.

On what grounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Log it on FixYourStreet and the councils Env officer will have a look.

On what grounds?

Our MC have had cars removed that look obviously abandoned. They leave a note on the car for a month or two to contact the agent if it's their car and they get it removed if no reply.

Proper order too. If parking spots are already tight and you want to use one as a long term scrapyard, tough luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Firblog

We have a mgt company, run by the residents. I don't know if the council have taken control of the estate, it was on the cards, but they do pay for the lighting on the estate.

Tax and NCT are out of date, and there is no insurance disc. Surely if the car is untaxed and uninsured it should not be on a public road? I know its on an estate but anyone can drive here if they wish.

Just reported it to the council, litter warden going to look into it...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Our MC have had cars removed that look obviously abandoned. They leave a note on the car for a month or two to contact the agent if it's their car and they get it removed if no reply.

Proper order too. If parking spots are already tight and you want to use one as a long term scrapyard, tough luck.

I work for a big Multinational, which a lot of abandoned cars in its parking lots. Their legal team has told the facilities that removing the cars is pretty much impossible, since the company doesn't have ownership of them. Scrapping/Destroying a car requires you to own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I work for a big Multinational, which a lot of abandoned cars in its parking lots. Their legal team has told the facilities that removing the cars is pretty much impossible, since the company doesn't have ownership of them. Scrapping/Destroying a car requires you to own it.

It is easy to register a new owner.

While I don't disagree with you that it's unfair to abandon cars in a development like that the management company have no real right to remove a car & have it scrapped if it doesn't belong to them.
    It's fine if it's genuinely abandoned but what would happen if the owner came looking for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

While I don't disagree with you that it's unfair to abandon cars in a development like that the management company have no real right to remove a car & have it scrapped if it doesn't belong to them.
    It's fine if it's genuinely abandoned but what would happen if the owner came looking for it.

The owner can report it stolen. Nobody is going to leave a car out of tax and insurance and nct in an apartment block for months and expect to find it when they come back. Most abandoned cars are of very low value and the cost of storage will be greater than the value of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

This happened to my brother, car outside his house about 8 months, rang the Gardai, gave them the reg number, rang him back a couple of days later they found who owned it she did'nt seem that bother to get it back, 3 months later its still there, he had rang the co council in the mean time they were too bother either, lucky enough he knew a fella that he had worked with who is a member of the co council and he got it removed, Not really helping you but just letting you know this could happen

I hope he removed it to right in front of the car owners property

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Advertisement