Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starter Ladies golf set? Decent starter brands?

Options
  • 05-10-2017 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi

I am looking for a beginner ladies golf set, inc bag, suitable for a 5ft 5 player.

I plan to maybe start in the driving range, get some lessons, then branch out onto a small course.

I have had a look at second hand clubs online but can't see anything. I would like to keep the budget below 350ish , if possible.

This came up in a search but I'm not familiar with the brand..
    http://www.thesportshq.com/palm-springs-visa-v2-all-graphite-ladies-golf-set.aspx

What would generally be good brands to look out for, and brands to avoid?
    Any tips?

Thanks a mill :-)
    Pix

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

Pixied wrote: »
    Hi

I am looking for a beginner ladies golf set, inc bag, suitable for a 5ft 5 player.

I plan to maybe start in the driving range, get some lessons, then branch out onto a small course.

I have had a look at second hand clubs online but can't see anything. I would like to keep the budget below 350ish , if possible.

This came up in a search but I'm not familiar with the brand..
    http://www.thesportshq.com/palm-springs-visa-v2-all-graphite-ladies-golf-set.aspx

What would generally be good brands to look out for, and brands to avoid?
    Any tips?

Thanks a mill :-)
    Pix

The balance on starter sets tends to be terrible, a second hand set of pings, taylor made etc would be a better option.

They can be bought in golf shops, done deal, adverts etc and would come in around or budget or less

The balance on starter sets tends to be terrible, a second hand set of pings, taylor made etc would be a better option.

They can be bought in golf shops, done deal, adverts etc and would come in around or budget or less

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Ping, Callaway, Cobra, Taylormade all make good ladies golf clubs. Make sure you get something reasonably forgiving and with the right shaft flex, weight and length. A shaft that is too heavy or stiff will make things harder for a beginner.

Go for something cheap to start off with then as you get better in a year or two you could upgrade to something nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

I just looked at the set in the link and to be fair they could be a very good set to start off the game with. Cheap price and plenty for you to get into the game with. Move on then in a year or two to a decent set of Ping, Callaway, Cobra, Taylormade clubs.

You could always sell that starter set then in a year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Pixied

Thanks a mill, really appreciate all the comments and advise :-)

The set in the link above was recommended on some sites as a good beginner set, but I had never heard of them.

My teen daughter has started playing, so I was thinking whatever set I start with I could maybe pass on to her as her next set, then upgrade myself if I get further into golf.

I will keep looking at the second hand market too, I'm in no rush at this time of year. But it might make a good hint for Christmas!

Most of the beginner type sets online tend to be Wilson. Are they worth a go at all?

• Advertisement

Pixied wrote: »
    Thanks a mill, really appreciate all the comments and advise :-)

The set in the link above was recommended on some sites as a good beginner set, but I had never heard of them.

My teen daughter has started playing, so I was thinking whatever set I start with I could maybe pass on to her as her next set, then upgrade myself if I get further into golf.

I will keep looking at the second hand market too, I'm in no rush at this time of year. But it might make a good hint for Christmas!

Most of the beginner type sets online tend to be Wilson. Are they worth a go at all?

wilson starter sets are usually terrible imo

Advertisement