Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard warning sounds on boot

Options
  • 05-10-2017 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

During boot-up, before any BIOS logo screen appears I often get 2 sequences of 3-beeps.

So like... 1-2-3 (pause) 1-2-3 (longer pause... then repeat)

Between 30 seconds up to 5 minutes later, it then proceeds to load the OS fine and no subsequent issues after (until I turn off the computer and try to restart it again).

I've looked it up and it seems to be something to do with memory, but if that's the case why does it work fine eventually?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You should be able to find the message associated with those beeps from the motherboard manufacturers data.

The 'beeps' can vary from one manufacturer to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,760 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Just on this my mobo is: "ASRock B85 Pro4, Socket 1150, ATX" purchased from HardwareVersand in Nov 2014

3 beeps apparently means: "Basic memory 64K address check error"

so possibly RAM is at fault? Would I still be under warranty with HV (where I purchased the full specced PC including all RAM) ?

mrcheez wrote: »
    Just on this my mobo is: "ASRock B85 Pro4, Socket 1150, ATX" purchased from HardwareVersand in Nov 2014

3 beeps apparently means: "Basic memory 64K address check error"

so possibly RAM is at fault? Would I still be under warranty with HV (where I purchased the full specced PC including all RAM) ?

Check posts about HardwareVersand on Boards ...... IIRC they went belly up last year some time.

If you have more than one memory stick remove all but one and try the remaining one, and if it does not work try the other/s.
    You might have to use a specific memory socket when using only one stick .... check M/B specs.

Check posts about HardwareVersand on Boards ...... IIRC they went belly up last year some time.

If you have more than one memory stick remove all but one and try the remaining one, and if it does not work try the other/s.
    You might have to use a specific memory socket when using only one stick .... check M/B specs.

If I need to replace one memory stick, and can't find that model, should I just replace the lot with a new pair or can you mix different makes as long as the chipset is the same?

The specification would need to be the same, especially if installed in 'pairs'.

You can wait until your tests determine if it is one memory stick or not before deciding. ;)

• Advertisement

I think the memory has to be installed in pairs as the sticker on the side specifies "4GX2".

Regardless I tried each stick on its own in every memory slot and either it didn't power on or I got the same double 3 beeps.

I reckon I need a new pair so. I'll head to Blanchardstown centre tomorrow to Maplin (or perhaps PCWorld cheaper?)

BTW the memory sticks which I bought in 2014 were:

8GB-Kit G-Skill RipJaws PC3-12800U CL9

For around €68....reckon I could contact G-Skill about replacement? Or is 3 years past the warranty stage?

Actually seems they have a lifetime warranty but unfortunately I need to get sorted with memory asap so have to go B&M.

Would this memory be a decent replacement? I'm not using the machine for gaming or anything at present beyond basic tasks like Excel etc

https://www.maplin.ie/p/integral-4gb-ddr3-1333mhz-cl9-desktop-memory-a40kr

Damn, the new memory does nothing

Perhaps instead of searching for 3 beep error code I should search for 6 beeps as that's what it is in reality.

Its 3 beeps repeated twice in succession.

Actually this guy has same problem...

https://youtu.be/zJHUeR00zmg

• Advertisement
Advertisement