Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 39x service starting on 9th October

Options
  • 05-10-2017 12:14pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Received an email about this earlier today, it could (hopefully) reduce my commuting time a bit. I love how they paint it as a brand new serice when the 39x has been on and off several times over the years. I think it even ran the same route last time before they pulled it to replace with the more frequent 39a.

Anyway, here's the info:
    Introduction of Route 39x
    We are delighted to announce the introduction of a new xpresso service, Route 39x from Monday 9 October 2017. Route 39x will operate from Ongar to Burlington Road with 8 trips Monday to Friday.

The new route will serve 26 stops towards Burlington Road and 27 stops towards Ongar. This is 40 stops less than Route 39, resulting in a quicker, more direct route to and from the city centre during peak hours.

All changes have been approved by the National Transport Authority.

Find out more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

miamee wrote: »
    Received an email about this earlier today, it could (hopefully) reduce my commuting time a bit. I love how they paint it as a brand new serice when the 39x has been on and off several times over the years. I think it even ran the same route last time before they pulled it to replace with the more frequent 39a.

Anyway, here's the info:

I'm so jealous of the 39 routes. Us on the 38 routes really are the poor relations!

Enjoy your X, it really is good news for commuters on that route.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Thanks - hopefully they'll introduce something similar for the 38 route, it serves a large community there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

Since it's an Xpresso service, am I right in saying there is a €2.85(Leap)/€3.60(Cash) flat fare?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Since it's an Xpresso service, am I right in saying there is a €2.85(Leap)/€3.60(Cash) flat fare?

Fares aren't on the site yet but that is the rate on another xpresso service I just checked there now so it's quite likely the same for 39x. I use the taxsaver annual Leap card so it will make no difference to me as far as that goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Will it replace these 4 services from the 39?

07:07
    07:22
    07:37
    07:52

Or will it replace 39A services?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

blanch152 wrote:
    Will it replace these 4 services from the 39?

blanch152 wrote:
    07:07 07:22 07:37 07:52

blanch152 wrote:
    Or will it replace 39A services?

It's supplementing those services .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I'm surprised they didn't send it to UCD like the rest of the xpessos heading southbound or maybe that would be duplicating the 39a.

Btw the one Xpresso I would like to see is a 145x that would complament the 145 between Bray and Town at peak times skipping Shankill.

Hopefully the next thing they do is start a few 39As from inglewood

thomasj wrote: »
    Hopefully the next thing they do is start a few 39As from inglewood

39b maybe?

Stephen15 wrote:
    39b maybe?

Possibly yeah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It's supplementing those services .

I hope so, but I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭AlanG

What would be really great would be if they could put in some sort of a walkway and safe stop on the N3 near the Waterville bridge for these services. One well engineered stop would could serve all of waterville and Blanchardstown to allow access to the 39A and X services. Would be particularly useful for those going to UCD.

AlanG wrote:
    What would be really great would be if they could put in some sort of a walkway and safe stop on the N3 near the Waterville bridge for these services. One well engineered stop would could serve all of waterville and Blanchardstown to allow access to the 39A and X services. Would be particularly useful for those going to UCD.

Completely agree, the outbound stop at the navan road Blanchardstown slipway is well used by folk heading to the village.

The NTA, I'm sure are aware of this. The plans for the Blanchardstown BRT (that follows the 39A ) has stops planned for the snugborough road and mill road.

Completely agree, the outbound stop at the navan road Blanchardstown slipway is well used by folk heading to the village.

The NTA, I'm sure are aware of this. The plans for the Blanchardstown BRT (that follows the 39A ) has stops planned for the snugborough road and mill road.

If the BRT was to be built surely the 39a would be replaced by it. If it was to be continued that would surely deminish its point.

Stephen15 wrote:
    If the BRT was to be built surely the 39a would be replaced by it. If it was to be continued that would surely deminish its point.

The CEO of the NTA , Anne Graham said in a radio interview a few years ago , that the 2 routes would continue to run side by side after the introduced but the 39A would be reduced.

The CEO of the NTA , Anne Graham said in a radio interview a few years ago , that the 2 routes would continue to run side by side after the introduced but the 39A would be reduced.

That is completely riddiculous whats the bloody point on having two routes running side by side, I'm pro BRT but if its pointless. One of the big problems of the DB network pre network direct was the amount of routes that ran side by side to one another still a problem and the NTA consider themselves 'progressive'

Stephen15 wrote:
    That is completely riddiculous whats the bloody point on having two routes running side by side, I'm pro BRT but if its pointless. One of the big problems of the DB network pre network direct was the amount of routes that ran side by side to one another still a problem and the NTA consider themselves 'progressive'

Presumably it will be a trial basis before the NTA decides the fate of the 39A. You have to remember that the BRT will not follow the exact route of the 39A.

There will be 2 routes, one from the ongar area that will not serve the hartstown loop.

The other from hartstown, that will serve huntstown, blakestown etc

The other thing is not all bus stops will be served and it will serve George's street , rather than quays and O'Connell bridge etc

Time will tell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote:

The BRT will replace the 39A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »

It's not really, it doesn't serve all stops into the city centre or even all stops in the city centre itself. I took it this morning, the bus driver was driven mad I'd say. The bus number didn't work on the display so the front of the bus said "Entering Service" with an A4 piece of paper in the window with 39X on it so she was stopping at all the relevant stops just in case anyone was looking for it. The paper number wasn't very visible. She had to let a few people off at stops that aren't really 39X stops because they'd never bothered to ask where it stopped - hopefully they'll cut that out after a day or two.

I got on at 8.02am just before it gets on the N3 and I was getting out at the Four Courts just before 8.30am, happy days. I'm sure it'll get busier when more people see them/hear about it but I was happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Took the 39x home yesterday evening - again bus was half empty as most people at stops seemed unsure whether to risk it or not!

Exactly an hour from Leeson St to Ongar, so that's probably shaving about 30-40 minutes off the 39A on the same route. Holdup in front of Trinity (light sequence very short) and in Cabra/Navan Road where there is no bus lane the worse parts. Not going into Blanchardstown Centre and no Hartstown loop.

As heating on Docklands train heating was on overdrive this morning, 39X is at least another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Shuttle666 wrote: »
    Took the 39x home yesterday evening - again bus was half empty as most people at stops seemed unsure whether to risk it or not!

Exactly an hour from Leeson St to Ongar, so that's probably shaving about 30-40 minutes off the 39A on the same route. Holdup in front of Trinity (light sequence very short) and in Cabra/Navan Road where there is no bus lane the worse parts. Not going into Blanchardstown Centre and no Hartstown loop.

As heating on Docklands train heating was on overdrive this morning, 39X is at least another option.

Sounds very efficient. Out of interest would you know roughly how long it took to go from Aston/Essex Quay to Ongar? The times suggested on the official time table serm over estimated.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Sounds very efficient. Out of interest would you know roughly how long it took to go from Aston/Essex Quay to Ongar? The times suggested on the official time table serm over estimated.

Would guess about 45 min, that's to the Allendale stop at end on Distributor Road rather than Ongar Village.

TFI Journey planner suggest there was a 39x due as I left the office, just nothing on the bus stop board or Dublin Bus app so got to Docklands in time for a seat! And car is there too!

Reverse option this morning - 7.30 departure got to stop 6111 (Allendale) at 7:40, down on the N3 by 7:50 and got Merrion Row for 8:40am.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Shuttle666 wrote: »
    Reverse option this morning - 7.30 departure got to stop 6111 (Allendale) at 7:40, down on the N3 by 7:50 and got Merrion Row for 8:40am.

This is brilliant-I get the Docklands/Hansfield train myself but great to have a quick option with the bus. Especially leaving town towards Ongar during the run up to Christmas.

Given the time it is taking for the 39A to get from Ongar to Hartstown most mornings ATM, I think the 39X should be increased and the 39A taken out of Ongar.

Would benefit all.

saggycaggy wrote: »
    This is brilliant-I get the Docklands/Hansfield train myself but great to have a quick option with the bus. Especially leaving town towards Ongar during the run up to Christmas.

LOL! irrespective of whether its the 39A or 39X, It's safe to say there won't be a quick option when it comes to buses going to Ongar leading upto Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

LOL! irrespective of whether its the 39A or 39X, It's safe to say there won't be a quick option when it comes to buses going to Ongar leading upto Christmas

Yeah there'll be an increase in traffic but not going through the Center is a major advantage

Advertisement