Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 39x service starting on 9th October

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭LadyW

thomasj wrote: »
    LOL! irrespective of whether its the 39A or 39X, It's safe to say there won't be a quick option when it comes to buses going to Ongar leading upto Christmas

Oh dear god you're right.. I am dreading it...It's bad enough at the moment.. !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

saggycaggy wrote: »
    Yeah there'll be an increase in traffic but not going through the Center is a major advantage

The problem is the traffic will be on the N3 road leading into the centre that the 39X uses, same with the N3 heading towards the centre, same with the navan road outbound (no bus lane - this week so far has been a nightmare)

LadyW wrote: »
    Oh dear god you're right.. I am dreading it...It's bad enough at the moment.. !

The reason the M3 parkway trains are so busy is because they are BY FAR the fastest way to Ongar, direct or changing trains in Clonsilla, they beat the 39A or 39X hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

The reason the M3 parkway trains are so busy is because they are BY FAR the fastest way to Ongar, direct or changing trains in Clonsilla, they beat the 39A or 39X hands down.

Don't disagree with that, but glad to have another option, especially on a wet morning when you can't be sure there'll be car parking @ Clonsilla.

Maybe it's the novelty, but decent wifi, a seat and not feeling like I'm in a sauna all helped. I like the walk over from Docklands, but on a wet morning, can cope with being dropped on the Green :)

Shuttle666 wrote:
    Maybe it's the novelty, but decent wifi, a seat and not feeling like I'm in a sauna all helped. I like the walk over from Docklands, but on a wet morning, can cope with being dropped on the Green

Very soon you'll be able to hop off at broombridge and onto a luas to Stephens green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

Given the time it is taking for the 39A to get from Ongar to Hartstown most mornings ATM, I think the 39X should be increased and the 39A taken out of Ongar.

Would benefit all.

Except those of us who use the 39A from Ongar and don't go all the way into the city centre. Which would be quite a lot of people.

Very soon you'll be able to hop off at broombridge and onto a luas to Stephens green.

Don't worry, I positively drool at the trams being tested :) - so long as they have the pricing sorted for combining Luas/Irish Rail

39X drivers are eager beavers at the moment - 2nd evening in a row the bus had left the stop before the time on apps - another lady was trying to get on, but the driver was having none of it as technically she had left the stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

Shuttle666 wrote: »
    Don't worry, I positively drool at the trams being tested :) - so long as they have the pricing sorted for combining Luas/Irish Rail

39X drivers are eager beavers at the moment - 2nd evening in a row the bus had left the stop before the time on apps - another lady was trying to get on, but the driver was having none of it as technically she had left the stop.

Given that seemingly of the 13 new stops on the Luas, 8 of them will be in the central zone (though this is slightly misleading since 6 of them are on the one way sections), I'd be expecting central to end at the Dominick stop, and Broombridge to be probably a zone further out than the one transitioned to there (i.e. a Zone 3). So a leap fare from Broombridge to Central under that would come in at €2.13, but you should get a Leap 90 discount on that, so €1.13 on top of the train fare to Broombridge.

From Coolmine (my nearest stop) said train fare is €1.73, so total fare then would come in at €2.86 under the current system, again, assuming that Broombridge is put into a similar zone as say Stillorgan on the Green Line. This is a bit more expensive than the equivalent train fare to CC stations at the moment (€2.46 from Coolmine), but could be significantly more convenient inbound. Outbound the prospect of a high frequency service meeting significantly lower frequency is less appealing, mind, as after 8pm weekdays, or indeed any time at the weekend, if you miss a train by 2 mins you're waiting an hour unless IE increase frequency on the line.

Comparing to the bus, that fare is basically within a cent of the expresso fare, and 26c more expensive than the max normal fare, so not terribly unreasonable, I suppose.

Obviously I'm making a massive assumption in guessing the fare zones in the above assessment, but at present the 4 zone fare is actually the same as 3 zone for Luas so there's a margin for error too. I absolutely can't see them putting it into a further out zone than that, and if they do it's torpedoing it a bit before they ever start.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

cython wrote: »
    Given that seemingly of the 13 new stops on the Luas, 8 of them will be in the central zone (though this is slightly misleading since 6 of them are on the one way sections), I'd be expecting central to end at the Dominick stop, and Broombridge to be probably a zone further out than the one transitioned to there (i.e. a Zone 3). So a leap fare from Broombridge to Central under that would come in at €2.13, but you should get a Leap 90 discount on that, so €1.13 on top of the train fare to Broombridge.

From Coolmine (my nearest stop) said train fare is €1.73, so total fare then would come in at €2.86 under the current system, again, assuming that Broombridge is put into a similar zone as say Stillorgan on the Green Line. This is a bit more expensive than the equivalent train fare to CC stations at the moment (€2.46 from Coolmine), but could be significantly more convenient inbound. Outbound the prospect of a high frequency service meeting significantly lower frequency is less appealing, mind, as after 8pm weekdays, or indeed any time at the weekend, if you miss a train by 2 mins you're waiting an hour unless IE increase frequency on the line.

Comparing to the bus, that fare is basically within a cent of the expresso fare, and 26c more expensive than the max normal fare, so not terribly unreasonable, I suppose.

Obviously I'm making a massive assumption in guessing the fare zones in the above assessment, but at present the 4 zone fare is actually the same as 3 zone for Luas so there's a margin for error too. I absolutely can't see them putting it into a further out zone than that, and if they do it's torpedoing it a bit before they ever start.

It will be interesting to see whether there is an effect on Maynooth trains, I agree with you that inbound will see an uptake in people taking the LUAS, but I also wonder about the outbound issues.

blanch152 wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see whether there is an effect on Maynooth trains, I agree with you that inbound will see an uptake in people taking the LUAS, but I also wonder about the outbound issues.

I read somewhere that Irish Rail are in talks with NTA about upgrading off-peak frequency on the Maynooth line later this year.

• Advertisement

Polar101 wrote: »
    Except those of us who use the 39A from Ongar and don't go all the way into the city centre. Which would be quite a lot of people.

sorry i explained that badly,

In my opinion there should be an overhaul of the 39s as follows

39 - stay as normal , connection remains

39A - starts from hartstown distributor road to hartstown and then as normal

39B - from ongar, serves ongar road, Blanchardstown road south?, blanchardstown centre and then via 39A

39X - remains as normal

39D - new route from hartstown distributor road to whitestown then follows 39X

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Polar101 wrote: »

39 bus would fulfil that service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

ongarboy wrote: »

Yes but the 39a is a more frequent every 10 mins Mon-Fri compared every 30 mins on the 39 Mon-Fri

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

39B - from ongar, serves ongar road, Blanchardstown road south?, blanchardstown centre and then via 39A

39X - remains as normal

Needlessly complex with too many sub-routes. The only changes, if any, that need to be made to the routes:
    • Swap the 39 and 39A route numbers. Main, higher-frequency trunk route should never be a letter suffix.
    • Have the new 39A serve the entire length of the Clonsilla Road - cut out the detour up to the Centre and the Hartstown/Huntstown loop.
    • If Clonsilla village complains about no more SC service - it's 5 minutes walk to either the 37 or 39; or use the 239. If Blanch village complains, route the 17A through the village instead of the dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

[QUOTE=TheChrisD;104952446
    [*]Have the new 39A serve the entire length of the Clonsilla Road[/QUOTE]

Isn't it one-way westwards from the roundabout at St Mochtas up to the entrance to Coolmine industrial estate?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

MrMorooka wrote: »
    Isn't it one-way westwards from the roundabout at St Mochtas up to the entrance to Coolmine industrial estate?

Not any more, they did away with that quite a while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

39X - remains as normal

As an Ongar resident I'd obviously like a bus (such as your 39B here) that doesn't do the Hartstown 'loop', but it's hard to see that happening. I do agree that we don't really need 5 buses (39a) following each other half-empty all the way around to the current terminus - which is what happens at rush-hour now.

At the moment it takes 30 minutes on a bus from Ongar to Blanch village, which is silly. Of course, there is a train, but they've managed to timetable the 39 to avoid most train connections (departures at :52, train leaves :57).
    ongarboy wrote: »

My point was to leave the 39a like it is - it's frequent and much better than what was in place before Network Direct. Wouldn't mind if the 39 was improved, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

39X - remains as normal

Would it not make more sense to reroute the 39 away from Ongar with the 39a remaining in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

Id appreciate if any 39 whatever would show up in the morning whereby i did not have to stand crushed up until bachelors walk.

I fell twice this week from being on a packed bus and the driver hit the breaks. I did notice the 39x fly by practically empty...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

Most annoying thing about the 39x is the constant questions people ask the driver when it comes to a stop.

"Do you go by here?" , "Do you stop there?", "How much is it?"

How about you do a bit of research beforehand and stop questioning the driver and delaying a bus full of people on what is supposed to be an "Express" service. :rolleyes:

Drives me up the wall.

Just this morning there was a passenger giving the lady bus driver an earful because she hadn't [rightly] stopped at a specific stop on the Navan road.

All that being said, even the drivers don't seem to know what they're doing..

Every time I have been on the bus so far, the driver stopped/dropped passengers off at a stop number they were not supposed to.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I have to agree, although this has lessened somewhat there are still the inevitable questions. Some of the drivers are going out of their way to make sure people know it doesn't stop everywhere but some of them just let everyone on and to hell with you if you want to stop somewhere not on the scheduled stop list. I can see it from both points of view tbh.

In the mornings this service has been quite reliable so far but the evenings are hit and miss. I got to Aston Quay yesterday evening and the RTPI told me there was a 39x due in 3 minutes. 14 minutes later I had let a 39, two 39As and a 70 go by while waiting for the bloody thing. From now on in the evenings, it'll be a case of getting on whatever comes first and get the hell out of town asap.

miamee wrote: »
    In the mornings this service has been quite reliable so far but the evenings are hit and miss. I got to Aston Quay yesterday evening and the RTPI told me there was a 39x due in 3 minutes. 14 minutes later I had let a 39, two 39As and a 70 go by while waiting for the bloody thing. From now on in the evenings, it'll be a case of getting on whatever comes first and get the hell out of town asap.

Totally agree on the evenings - RTPI is totally inaccurate (at least on stages from (Leeson Street - Quays), but regularly departed ahead of what the RTPI says. Hopefully it settles down soon .......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Needlessly complex with too many sub-routes. The only changes, if any, that need to be made to the routes:
    • Swap the 39 and 39A route numbers. Main, higher-frequency trunk route should never be a letter suffix.
    • Have the new 39A serve the entire length of the Clonsilla Road - cut out the detour up to the Centre and the Hartstown/Huntstown loop.
    • If Clonsilla village complains about no more SC service - it's 5 minutes walk to either the 37 or 39; or use the 239. If Blanch village complains, route the 17A through the village instead of the dual carriageway.

No,no,no,no.

dodzy wrote: »
    No,no,no,no.

Got any better reasoning other than NIMBY? With my suggestion you still keep the super-city-service of the UCD-bound route, all that gets cut out is a connection from Harts/Hunts to Blanch village; which is fulfilled by the 220.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Looks like a few of us rail commuters will be using this service over the next few weeks with these upcoming train strikes.

TheChrisD wrote:
    Got any better reasoning other than NIMBY? With my suggestion you still keep the super-city-service of the UCD-bound route, all that gets cut out is a connection from Harts/Hunts to Blanch village; which is fulfilled by the 220.

Irrespective of whether or not a 39A direct down the clonsilla road is a good idea or not , it won't happen. Blanchardstown centre is too big and important a passenger point .

Look at the BRT plans for Blanchardstown , planned by the NTA the second route planned, aimed more at the ongar area will use the blanchardstown centre .

There is less demand along the clonsilla road, much more quieter, the NTA would never agree to a full time more express route along the clonsilla road.

It would make more sense to have a 39B follow the 39x, except go through the Blanchardstown centre , there's a more realistic chance of that being agreed and planned by the NTA.

The 39 in its current form is a good community route that works for ongar, hartstown and Blanchardstown and it gets quite busy too during the day.

ongarboy wrote:
    Looks like a few of us rail commuters will be using this service over the next few weeks with these upcoming train strikes.

When you're coming home in the evening you'll realise why you take the train :eek:

Irrespective of whether or not a 39A direct down the clonsilla road is a good idea or not , it won't happen. Blanchardstown centre is too big and important a passenger point .
    One of the main things I want to just point out to yourself and dodzy is that in my initial suggestion I swapped the numbering of the two 39 routes, with the logic that as the current 39A is the far more serviced and major of the two routing, it should have the main number and not have the letter suffix anymore.
    The 39 in its current form is a good community route that works for ongar, hartstown and Blanchardstown and it gets quite busy too during the day.
    I don't doubt that in the slightest - when I lived in Blanch village is was a reliable and very helpful bus to take (unlike the 38s...)

Now as for the BRT and the future of the routes in the area, I suspect that once BRT starts up proper the current 39s will be reamalgamated back into a single route to avoid duplication. At that point, I still think that running the 39 down the Clonsilla Road all the way would be the best plan since BRT will cover the Ongar/Harts/Hunts to Blanch Centre traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You are joking right? The 220?! Every hour and a half and some times they even show up up to 30 minutes late? Pmsl. Fulfilled. Only in ireland is a bus link fulfilled by 90 minutes between services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Nothing to do with NIMBY. Anyway, your 220 suggestion is dire due to its infrequency. Added to the fact (as covered by Thomasj), BSC is king. Far too important in terms of servicing. And rightly so.

Advertisement