Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 39x service starting on 9th October

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Have to say I'm really impressed with this new service! Forced to use it due to train strike today. It departed Allendale stop at 7:53am and I'm now at Halfpenny bridge at 8:27. That's practically the same travel time as my rail journey and gets me closer to my office. A really handy alternative!

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

ongarboy wrote: »
    Have to say I'm really impressed with this new service! Forced to use it due to train strike today. It departed Allendale stop at 7:53am and I'm now at Halfpenny bridge at 8:27. That's practically the same travel time as my rail journey and gets me closer to my office. A really handy alternative!

Yeah same here-got it at 7.00am and off at Bachelors Walk at 7.40am, I might be taking it in future over the train!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

saggycaggy wrote:
    Yeah same here-got it at 7.00am and off at Bachelors Walk at 7.40am, I might be taking it in future over the train!

Not bad but you're forgetting it's mid-term week . I get the feeling you won't be getting the same journey time for next week's strike.......

thomasj wrote: »
    Not bad but you're forgetting it's mid-term week . I get the feeling you won't be getting the same journey time for next week's strike.......

True, I forgot about that. There was still a lot of traffic out there though despite it being midterm. It'll be interesting to see the difference next week so.

The other thing is luas cross city will be open in a few weeks. That's going to make a big difference as well.

I'll be taking the train and luas when the luas opens in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

Just off the 39A now on ormond quay , got on at hartstown church at 9:15. Roads are empty this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Had a 40 minute Allendale to Merrion Row last week too, but an hour more typical. 39A was average 90+ minutes for me, although the quays have improved somewhat since.
    Luas cross city will be an option into town, but unless the prospect of hanging around Broombridge will dampen the appeal on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

thomasj wrote: »

I got it a few times when it launched, the only bottle neck is mannor street, id get it all of the time if I worked west of o Connell bridge.

Train strike day 2, Standing room only before Allendale this morning on the 7:45 departure. It was much less busier with the mid term break last week.

Ok 9am and not yet at Four courts, traffic a disaster, so much for Xpresso! :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Sorry if this was covered - wondering if this would be a better route than the 39a?

Would be getting on somewhere in Blanch and getting off at the Quays. The map on dublinbus.ie isnt the best so I cant see the route clearly.

Thanks

I got it at 7am-first stop and got off at Bachelors Walk at 7.55am. I usually get on at Allendale (when getting a bus) but walked up to get on at the first stop. Definite increase in traffic especially coming into Stoneybatter and the bus was wedged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

BGozIE wrote: »
    Sorry if this was covered - wondering if this would be a better route than the 39a?

Would be getting on somewhere in Blanch and getting off at the Quays. The map on dublinbus.ie isnt the best so I cant see the route clearly.

Thanks

Depends where "somewhere in Blanch" is.

ION08 wrote: »
    Depends where "somewhere in Blanch" is.

Sorry yeah, very vague. I couldn't make out if it stopped at the shopping center or only in Blanchardstown village.

I'd get on at the shopping center most likely.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

At least you got on...thanks to all the usual train passengers getting on the 39X it passed by my stop full this morning, had to trek into the shopping centre to get a 39A. I actually thought the train strike was tomorrow, otherwise I would have left much earlier. The X is usually a lot quicker than that, even that one but there was much more traffic on the road today :(

Thanks
    The 39X doesn't go in or near Blanchardstown Village at all. All of the stops are listed at the bottom of the page here.

Sorry yeah, very vague. I couldn't make out if it stopped at the shopping center or only in Blanchardstown village.

I'd get on at the shopping center most likely.

Theres a stop on the Blanchardstown road North (behind TK Maxx) ... after that its straight on the N3 and the next stop would be the Travelodge.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

^^ I missed the bit about the shopping centre there, ION08 is right :)

miamee wrote: »
    At least you got on...thanks to all the usual train passengers getting on the 39X it passed by my stop full this morning, had to trek into the shopping centre to get a 39A. I actually thought the train strike was tomorrow, otherwise I would have left much earlier. The X is usually a lot quicker than that, even that one but there was much more traffic on the road today :(

Where's your stop?

If it's any consolation, all 39X's were full this morning by the time they reached the end of the Ongar Road.

I also had to rely on the 39A and got to work 35mins late.

TRAIN ****!!! :D

:D

That one is my stop as well, behind TK Maxx/Blanchardstown Retail Park. I was also 30 minutes late!

Thanks guys, seems the 39x has a lot less stops than the 39a, could be a runner for me if the keep the service going. Hopefully its not full when the trains are back.

• Advertisement

Sometimes standing room only by the time it gets to the stop just before the N3 but today was the first time that it passed me by full so you should be ok on other normal days.

The one before that (7.30) was already busy when it came to Allendale, but few seats left upstairs and full by the time it got to the end of the Ongar Road. About 15 minutes longer than normal, so not too bad with the extra volumes on the road today.

Got a 39A this morning and the worst of the traffic was the bridge down leading to auburn avenue (we were sitting on the bypass over the big humpback bridge for 15 minutes!) and then the navan road just before mcdonalds onwards.

The 39X from Blanchardstown Centre onwards wouldn't have faired much better.

Thanks guys, seems the 39x has a lot less stops than the 39a, could be a runner for me if the keep the service going. Hopefully its not full when the trains are back.

Standing room only hopefully should point to additional frequency - 4 each way limit flexibility, and make the accuracy of the RTPI more important than on 39A - in the evening, bus is frequently leaving stops while display is still showing it due in 1 or 2 minutes. (Must be how the routes were added it to the system, and maybe it corrects itself over time to as the bus travels on further on the route???).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I cycled past the 39x on the ongar road this morning and it was jammed, I'd say it will be a nightmare trying to get back home this evening by bus.

If you think thats bad try getting the 39A at 9pm tonight !

Yesterday, 17:45 bus from town not that busy, guess most who could tried getting away early?

No strike today and the 7:00 pretty full by the end of the Ongar Road. 39x experience greatly added to by the ad hoc announcements the drivers have to make, normally outbound - at D'Olier Steet stop driver apologies for the excessive delay due to 'people who are still getting used to the 39X' - very diplomatic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Got a 39a on Baggot Street yesterday at 4.30, stepped off it at 6.35 in Hartstown to walk through to Castaheany, there was no way I was spending any longer on it & was going to wait until it got around near Ongar & hansfield. I sincerely hope it doesn't always/regularly take that long, it was the same getting in yesterday morning, a 2 hour journey!! Train strike or no strike that's shocking. Does it always take that long in the mornings/evenings?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Got a 39a on Baggot Street yesterday at 4.30, stepped off it at 6.35 in Hartstown to walk through to Castaheany, there was no way I was spending any longer on it & was going to wait until it got around near Ongar & hansfield. I sincerely hope it doesn't always/regularly take that long, it was the same getting in yesterday morning, a 2 hour journey!! Train strike or no strike that's shocking. Does it always take that long in the mornings/evenings?

Painful!!
    I got the 39x from Dawson Street just after 5pm and was off on the New Ongar Road about 6.20pm. Could you get that next time?

• Advertisement

Yikes. There was a much larger volume of traffic on the roads yesterday due to the train strike and (presumably) some people driving rather than getting buses. All journeys took longer than usual so while I don't go that far on the bus, I'd say that is not the usual time.

Advertisement