Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 39x service starting on 9th October

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

39X is to be rerouted for part the inbound journey in the city
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/News-Centre/General-News/Rerouting-of-Xpresso-Services-using-College-Street/
    Route 39x towards Burlington Road
    Normal route to Bachelors Walk, divert to Eden Quay, right via Rosie Hackett Bridge, Hawkins Street, Townsend Street, Lombard Street, Westland Row, Merrion Square, Merrion Street Upper, left on to Baggot Street and back on to normal route. Route 39x will now serve stop 4495 Hawkins Street, stop 2809 Westland Row and 2810 Merrion Square. Please see map below for stop locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

I can see major delays for the 39a unless they put in a bus lane on Tara street down to the quays.

Phil.x wrote:
    I can see major delays for the 39a unless they put in a bus lane on Tara street down to the quays.

Most 39as have been using Tara street over the last few months. It was always drivers discretion whether they chose Westmoreland street or Tara street and 90% of drivers chose Tara street over Westmoreland street.

Same applies to the 37/39/39x/70

thomasj wrote: »
    Most 39as have been using Tara street over the last few months. It was always drivers discretion whether they chose Westmoreland street or Tara street and 90% of drivers chose Tara street over Westmoreland street.

Same applies to the 37/39/39x/70

So we're going back to the bad old days, I remember Tara street years ago, before the bus lane outside the cop shop, and it was a nightmare trying to get down Tara street to turn left onto the quays and now with the new general traffic restrictions on the quays it's going to be madness unless they stick a bus lane in.

I had the misfortune of driving on George's quay over the Christmas when schools and most people were on holidays and at 11.30am it took me 20mins to get from ulsterbank on George's quay to o Connell bridge, let the madness commence I'm happy to stick with the overcrowded trains.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Phil.x wrote: »
    So we're going back to the bad old days, I remember Tara street years ago, before the bus lane outside the cop shop, and it was a nightmare trying to get down Tara street to turn left onto the quays and now with the new general traffic restrictions on the quays it's going to be madness unless they stick a bus lane in.

I had the misfortune of driving on George's quay over the Christmas when schools and most people were on holidays and at 11.30am it took me 20mins to get from ulsterbank on George's quay to o Connell bridge, let the madness commence I'm happy to stick with the overcrowded trains.

No bus lane needed on Tara St. When traffic is heavy the bus goes up the middle lane, continues over the Liffey and turns left onto Eden Quay into a contra flow bus lane, back over Rosie Hackett Bridge and then right onto Burgh(?) Quay. It skips all the traffic on Tara Street. The only issue is the light sequence leaving Rosie Hackett Bridge, you can sit there for a few light changes before you get to move. They need to sequence those lights with the O'Connell Bridge ones to get the buses moving off Rosie Hackett Bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

7:15 departure hit Merrion Square just about 8:15 so it's an improvement. As the the lady who needs to have a phone conversation for the entire hour, grateful for the headphones at this hour!

Shuttle666 wrote: »
    7:15 departure hit Merrion Square just about 8:15 so it's an improvement. As the the lady who needs to have a phone conversation for the entire hour, grateful for the headphones at this hour!

What's the return leg like, is it on time, are any of the 39a on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Phil.x wrote: »
    What's the return leg like, is it on time, are any of the 39a on time.

I'm seldom out on time to get a 39x, and they are prone to actually leave the terminus early, but at least you can chase after them and get on after it gets through the Molesworth/Kildare Street lights. As for the 39a, coming out from town, trains to Hanesfield or Clonsilla normally a better option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 darcey1971

Slightly off topic, related to the 39A, apologies.

I get the 39A to work in UCD. I catch the bus at 8.25-8.30am, after the school drop-off, so there is unfortunately no way I can leave any earlier.

The closest bus stop to me takes in the Hartstown/Hunstown loop which means I would be late for work, so in order to bypass this I have to run to the stop before the shopping centre to catch the bus.

The gridlock on the Quays has been so bad since the Luas extension that there is now no guarantee I will make it into UCD by 10am. Yesterday I got to the Quays at 9.05am, at 9.50am the bus had only reached the Trinity entrance at Nassau Street. Total chaos. I was late for work at 10.15am.

This morning I got off the bus at Inn's Quay at 9am, ran to Nassau Street and caught another 39A. I made it to UCD by 9.30am.

But in order to do this I had to run about 2.5km overall and pay twice for a bus journey.

Something has to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I agree with you about having to run to change bus, you have Owen Keegan to thank for that.

But one thing that pisses me off about Dublin Bus is that ever since they brought in the Leap Card they stopped the tickets that allowed you to board different buses within 90 minutes on the same ticket. Charging you twice to complete your journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭MrMorooka

But one thing that pisses me off about Dublin Bus is that ever since they brought in the Leap Card they stopped the tickets that allowed you to board different buses within 90 minutes on the same ticket. Charging you twice to complete your journey.

That's a built-in feature of the Leap Card : https://about.leapcard.ie/leap-90, an automatic discount when you change bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 darcey1971

The 90 minute transfer 'savings' is the only light at the end of the tunnel :)

I sent an email detailing my route this morning to Mr. Keegan, Mr. Ross and Mr. Varadkar (who himself took a mere 75 minutes to get to work yesterday morning)

I don't expect much of a response, so in the meantime I guess I'll just keep running :)

darcey1971 wrote: »

I get the 39A to work in UCD. I catch the bus at 8.25-8.30am, after the school drop-off, so there is unfortunately no way I can leave any earlier.

The closest bus stop to me takes in the Hartstown/Hunstown loop which means I would be late for work, so in order to bypass this I have to run to the stop before the shopping centre to catch the bus.

The gridlock on the Quays has been so bad since the Luas extension that there is now no guarantee I will make it into UCD by 10am. Yesterday I got to the Quays at 9.05am, at 9.50am the bus had only reached the Trinity entrance at Nassau Street. Total chaos. I was late for work at 10.15am.

This morning I got off the bus at Inn's Quay at 9am, ran to Nassau Street and caught another 39A. I made it to UCD by 9.30am.

But in order to do this I had to run about 2.5km overall and pay twice for a bus journey.

Something has to give.

That's grim, and the luas V.I.P.'S want more buses and taxis removed, buses that carry more people than the luas so their mistakes can be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

darcey1971 wrote: »

Something has to give.
    If Clonsilla station is near you, I'd recommend getting a train to Pearse, then change to DART and get off at Sydney Parade. It's about 20mins walk from there to UCD then. It might be quicker if the buses continue to be diabolical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

ongarboy wrote: »
    If Clonsilla station is near you, I'd recommend getting a train to Pearse, then change to DART and get off at Sydney Parade. It's about 20mins walk from there to UCD then. It might be quicker if the buses continue to be diabolical.

Isin't there some trains that go to Bray and call at Sydney Parade

Anybody know if the 39/a/x is delayed in the evenings due to rerouting down Tara street.

40 minutes on the 39A to get from hartstown to Ormond quay this morning. Knew the loop would be quieter but the cabra road and the quays were great this morning .

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Mid term break for some schools, isn't it? Should be the same tomorrow.

40 minutes on the 39A to get from hartstown to Ormond quay this morning. Knew the loop would be quieter but the cabra road and the quays were great this morning .

That's (nearly)normal for the 39x from ravenswood area to bachelors walk, maybe 45mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

How is this route going now? Wondering if you would get a spot 7:30 ish at the Blanchardstown stop (as in at the back of TKMaxx)?

Any ides on a rough travel time to Bachelors Walk?

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

BGozIE wrote: »
    How is this route going now? Wondering if you would get a spot 7:30 ish at the Blanchardstown stop (as in at the back of TKMaxx)?

Cheers!

It's not really the back of to max maybe more like woodies, terrible place for a stop. From there to BW , about an hour. From BW to Nassau Street, 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

iba wrote: »
    It's not really the back of to max maybe more like woodies, terrible place for a stop. From there to BW , about an hour. From BW to Nassau Street, 30 minutes.

Ah ok, its the stop further down. Thanks for that!

I'm a little surprised that the xpresso takes so long to BW - then again its been awhile since I've used the bus - thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Ah ok, its the stop further down. Thanks for that!

I'm a little surprised that the xpresso takes so long to BW - then again its been awhile since I've used the bus - thanks again!

Well it gets stuck, like all the other buses, on the Cabra road, stoney batter and the quays.

Cheers!
    On my previous posts here, on the 19/12/17 it took me 38mins from up near ongar area to the quays then I said 15mins to bachelors walk, but that 15min is a Max, I've done it before in 8mins.

Got on the 39a in hartstown this morning at 8.48, got off on Ormond quay at 9.30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

I got the 39x this morning - I got on at the Allendale Roundabout at 7:24am and got off outside the Four Courts at 07:56am. That was lightning quick.

I assume when the schools are back this would be 15mins+ longer.

Veloce wrote:
    I got the 39x this morning - I got on at the Allendale Roundabout at 7:24am and got off outside the Four Courts at 07:56am. That was lightning quick.

Veloce wrote:
    I assume when the schools are back this would be 15mins+ longer.

The 07:45 39x didn't run this morning , and that wasn't the only one . The 08:50 39a didn't show up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

The 07:45 39x didn't run this morning
    What happened it?

fletch wrote:
    What happened it?

Don't know , Dublin bus replied to a tweet that it didn't run due to an operational issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Trains were messed up Thursday evening due to signal failure so I hopped on 39x home at 6:07pm at Aston Quay for first time, arrived in Allendale, Ongar at 6:45 and I was in my house at 6:50. 50 minutes total from work desk to home which is about 5 minutes less than my usual door to door train and walk commute. Impressive!!

Is 40 minutes frim Ongar to O'Connell bridge an average journey time does anyone know if did the Easter break improve times?

Advertisement