Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming upgrade for €700ish..

Options
  • 05-10-2017 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? €700ish 2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming 3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No 4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes, have a GTX980Ti, Samsung Evo SSD, BenQ XL2730Z monitor, Thermaltake Toughpower PSU 1200W 5. Do you need a monitor? No 6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No 7. Are you willing to try overclocking? Yes with proper cooling 8. How can you pay? Visa, paypal, etc. 9. When are you purchasing? Next few days/weel. 10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Don't need help (hopefully not anyway!)

As above lads I'm looking for opinions on an upgrade, I was almost decided on going Ryzen and I've heard conflicting opinions on which is more suitable for my needs, I use my PC mainly for gaming but also a small bit of work (nothing intensive just spreadsheets etc) so I'm open to Intel or AMD, I would also like a new case with good cooling but not intent on trying to OC massively.

Main games I play are FPS games like CSGO and PUBG, also play Rocket League a lot. Have BF1 but haven't been able to run it smoothly.

All advice much appreciated!

If I've left out any info that would help please let me know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You should really sell that 980Ti and get a AMD GPU to use your monitors Freesync capabilities. Trust me it is really worth it.

I'd recommend a Ryzen 1700 build or even Intel but I would lean more towards Ryzen as those 8 core 16 threads are so worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Sorry, monitor is XL2720 so don't think I need to change to an AMD card. I'd also miss ShadowPlay too much

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (£179.94 @ Novatech)
    CPU Cooler: Thermalright - TRUE Spirit 120M(BW) Rev.A 46.2 CFM CPU Cooler (£40.81 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (£81.86 @ Novatech)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LED 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£116.16 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung - 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Video Card (Purchased For £0.00)
    Case: Silverstone - RL06WS-PRO ATX Mid Tower Case (£72.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£84.00 @ Aria PC)
    Monitor: BenQ - XL2730Z 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor (Purchased For £0.00)
    Total: £575.72
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-10-05 13:53 BST+0100

I'd sell that 1200W PSU to crypto-miners tbh; a 1-GPU PC will rarely exceed 500W draw.

I've had that PSU since 2009! It's never let me down so I'd find it very hard to sell for sentimental reasons!😂😂

Anyone got anymore suggestions for me? I'd sooner go Ryzen 7 1700 than Ryzen 5, also open to going Intel if it suits my needs better, want to order before Monday.

• Advertisement

I would deffo go for a Ryzen 7 1700 build as in the future(A few years down the road) you can pop in a Zen 2 chip(Suppose to be released sometime 2019). Even the current Ryzen chips are good. Yes at 1080P Intel has the edge but when you go 1440P or even 4K there is nothing in them. And games coming out in the future will make even more use of all those cores.

Sorry I can't spec you a build as I never do for anyone I just recommend different components. I'm too lazy to go through different websites and provide links and such.

I would deffo go for a Ryzen 7 1700 build as in the future(A few years down the road) you can pop in a Zen 2 chip(Suppose to be released sometime 2019). Even the current Ryzen chips are good. Yes at 1080P Intel has the edge but when you go 1440P or even 4K there is nothing in them. And games coming out in the future will make even more use of all those cores.

Sorry I can't spec you a build as I never do for anyone I just recommend different components. I'm too lazy to go through different websites and provide links and such.

Zen+ will come early 2018 too.

Upped my budget to €800 lads so if anyone wants to play around with that, I like the Corsair 460X RGB case too

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Zen+ will come early 2018 too.

I know that but if you buy a CPU now. It is pointless upgrading in a few months also Zen 2 is rumoured to be far better than Zen+.

Dave147 wrote: »
    Upped my budget to €800 lads so if anyone wants to play around with that, I like the Corsair 460X RGB case too

Can't really think of anything other than selling/swapping the 980 Ti for a 1080.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

Ive got a 1700x tbh I think its awesome. I k ow benchmarks, with the AMD is a little less presently but games are starting to shift to multicore performance. Id have no problem in recommending there ryzen cpus there everything you could want a more.

Youve also got the beauty of knowing that if in a year decide to change your cpu its a simple plug in and play none of this socket change crap. Your a little more future proofed.

Tried to share my build but don't think I can share links? Not sure why as I'm a member here about 12 years!

Advertisement