Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists banned from some Luas areas?

Options
  • 05-10-2017 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

Can’t find a thread on this, but mods feel free to merge if there is one. I was alerted to this:
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/department-of-transport-hails-luas-cross-city-as-exemplar-1.3144169
    by a radio discussion this morning (Pat Kenny show – quite long segment).
    Haven’t been cycling in the city centre much in a while – last time I went down Dawson St, a couple of months ago, it was do-able if dodgy, but now cycling has been banned there and in other spots of Luasage? Or just strongly discouraged? Are these areas where buses and maybe cars are still permitted? Any word from cyclists ‘on the ground’?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I agree with it. If it's going to put cyclists at risk then so be it. A cyclist can reroute easily enough down the many other streets around, a Luas cannot. Don't see the problem here, we can't have it every way.

you just know a cyclist is going to end up wedged in the track or wander into the path of a luas while wearing headphones or something.

BTW I'm a daily cyclist into the city but I'm also pragmatic, if it's not safe then don't allow it . Cyclists can't be given priority all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭dermabrasion

Unenforceable. Not going to happen. Cyclists are like water, they flow the path of least resistance. They'd be better off putting signs up saying if you cycle here and you fall off, your a moron and we're not paying comps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

jon1981 wrote: »
    I agree with it. If it's going to put cyclists at risk then so be it. A cyclist can reroute easily enough down the many other streets around, a Luas cannot. Don't see the problem here, we can't have it every way.

you just know a cyclist is going to end up wedged in the track or wander into the path of a luas while wearing headphones or something.

BTW I'm a daily cyclist into the city but I'm also pragmatic, if it's not safe then don't allow it. Cyclists can't be given priority all the time.
    Are cars also being asked to reroute? I don't have full info yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Have you been living under a stone? Yes, way more impact on cars than cyclists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭OnDraught

Unenforceable. Not going to happen. Cyclists are like water, they flow the path of least resistance. They'd be better off putting signs up saying if you cycle here and you fall off, your a moron and we're not paying comps

That’s pretty much what they’ve done in fairness. I’m sure they don’t really give a ****e if anyone cripples themselves once they have their arse covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Seriously? Motorists have been hammered both north and south of the quays with the changes to accommodate the Luas, cyclists haven't done too badly out of all this. The north quays are a joy to cycle now.

I haven’t been around the city centre much for a while. So if anyone can satisfy my curiosity purely as to whether cars are permitted on the specific sections where cyclists have been prohibited I’d be grateful. I’m not getting into a who-is-worse-off argument (yet :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I haven’t been around the city centre much for a while. So if anyone can satisfy my curiosity purely as to whether cars are permitted on the specific sections where cyclists have been prohibited I’d be grateful. I’m not getting into a who-is-worse-off argument (yet :pac:)

Commuting and Transport have a thread on this topic.
    Here's a pic of the new layout at the North end of Dawson St from that thread.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/415453/429728.JPG

Just past the Buses and Trams only sign you will see a people carrier and a taxi, so make of that what you will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

The joys of cycling a 29er mountainbike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

They'd be better off putting signs up saying if you cycle here and you fall off, your a moron and we're not paying comps
    Isn't that what they're effectively doing with the signs? It won't be enforced, same as every other road law in the state, so just an arse covering excercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

Aren't bus only streets legal for bicycles though? Or am I mistaken, or there's maybe new laws for the Luas? From http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2012/si/332/made/en/print:
    (4) A person shall not enter a bus-only street with a vehicle other than a large public service vehicle or a pedal cycle except for the purpose of access.

and
    “ ‘bus-only street’ means a street or a portion of a street at each entrance to which is provided traffic sign number RUS 011 (no straight ahead) accompanied by an information plate to indicate that vehicles, other than large public service vehicles, pedal cycles and vehicles entering for access only, are prohibited from entering that street;”,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

It's reminiscent of the technically no-go-except-for-trams short section between Heuston station and St. Patrick's Hospital. Except it has a treacherous section of curving track.

I think there are other issues with Dawson Street, apart from this short section. But I have to go and have a look myself.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

tomasrojo wrote: »
    It's reminiscent of the technically no-go-except-for-trams short section between Heuston station and St. Patrick's Hospital. Except it has a treacherous section of curving track.

There's several sections where all traffic is banned except for the Luas. Section behind the Four Courts is another. You still see some headbangers cycling or driving on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

There is always option 2 folks, dismount the bike and walk down the street!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

TallGlass wrote: »
    There is always option 2 folks, dismount the bike and walk down the street!

NEVER! Next you'll be telling us we should go for a swim before and go for a run after cycling! :P

There's several sections where all traffic is banned except for the Luas. Section behind the Four Courts is another. You still see some headbangers cycling or driving on it.

Oh yeah, not saying the section near Heuston is unique, but it's similarly short, and a LOT of people use it, which I think will be the case for this too, unless the Gardaí enforce it consistently.

Actually, is this Dawson St. section unique in that it's restricted to trams and buses, not just trams? Other sections of the Luas that allow buses (as far as I know) allow all traffic.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yeah, I don't think you'd see the cops doing too much enforcement. For the most part I think the prohibition is there as a warning that if you do come off or get a smack of a tram, it's your own fault.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

FYI the Pat Kenny segment was based on this:

Cyclists protest after new tram route stops them in their tracks

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/09ed136a-a953-11e7-93f3-16e2d16612a0
    JazzyJ wrote: »
    Aren't bus only streets legal for bicycles though? Or am I mistaken, or there's maybe new laws for the Luas? From http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2012/si/332/made/en/print:

and

As your second quote says, the information plate must include text about cycling being allowed. As is the case with other bus only sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

monument wrote: »
    As your second quote says, the information plate must include text about cycling being allowed. As is the case with other bus only sections.

I've found the legislation around it. Tram only streets - are exactly that - with no mention of access for bikes :(

• Advertisement

FYI the Pat Kenny segment was based on this:

Cyclists protest after new tram route stops them in their tracks

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/09ed136a-a953-11e7-93f3-16e2d16612a0
    Thanks for TheTimes link - I saw it, but can't read the article (did register for limited free access a while ago, but had to cancel due to their constant email spam (which then continued for another month anyway))

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

There are bye laws specific to certain sections of red line that prohibit cycles - easy enough to add others to the coverage.
    Shortest or most direct route or not, I don't know how it can be fun to cycle in front of silver bullet, on a slippy/cobbled surface...

So, new legislation required? Good thing StepaShane is so dynamic and laser-focused on his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm seeing a lot taking proper good falls, had 2 fall one after the other on O'Connell bridge, the bike flipped around and landed just in front of my bumper.

The section at college green heading away from Dolier st, is ridiculous where track is separate to the road but cyclists are using it and large vehicles can't see them coming up on the left of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

From that Times article:
    One cyclist was told by a Luas staff member that they would be “putting the lives of 400 people [tram passengers] in danger” if they continued.

wtf? :confused:

IrishCycle.com reported earlier that Dawson St was advised as a no go because
    the “space between the kerb and the west-bound rail is insufficient to accommodate cycling” and cyclists moving to the centre of tracks would be at risk with colliding with buses.

I very rarely ride between the rails and the kerb, both due to lack of space and the danger of people stepping out without checking for bikes, a not unusual occurrence in the city centre. I don't really see the difference between a bus and other motor traffic, they should all be giving 1-1.5m of space when overtaking.

I'm thinking of Mayor St, Abbey St, James St here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Also, I passed a couple of cyclist dismount signs today and I was wondering if they're enforceable? I've never seen a re-mount sign, so as long as I dismount for an inch or two...

(I'm pretty sure we've covered this ground before.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

buffalo wrote: »
    (I'm pretty sure we've covered this ground before.)
    East Link/ Tom Clarke Bridge has/ had an on-going discussion on this one I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

What an absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Section at top of O'Connell St as you go round to the front of the Rotunda is quite ropey, in my opinion. You have to pass 4 tracks but it is tough to pass over them crossways (if you know what I mean) as they kinda of follow you around, so you are nearly taking them diagonally but they curve (I know I am not explaining it very well but believe me it is uncomfortable). Whatever about in the dry. in the wet it is going to be dangerous

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

One cyclist was told by a Luas staff member that they would be “putting the lives of 400 people [tram passengers] in danger” if they continued.

Just like the end of the movie Speed, where they were about to roll to a stop and then one of the train line workers cycled in front of the train and it derailed.

Advertisement