Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists banned from some Luas areas?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I do enjoy cycling at speed between the Luas tracks. It gives me an excuse to execute what I believe to be Peter-Sagan-like lateral bunny hops, but which to other people probably look like a clumsy accident in progress.

Banning something without enforcement in order to mitigate against compo claims is a very Irish solution, and one that I approve of wholeheartedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I assume motorbikes will be banned as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

papu wrote: »
    I assume motorbikes will be banned as well?

Are they allowed near it all when its a bus lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Macy0161

ED E wrote: »
    Are they allowed near it all when its a bus lane?
    They just need to get those "Be Polite" hi viz like the cyclone guys, then they can act how they want - footpaths, pedestrianised areas, mandatory cycle lines all ok, presumable because the font looks like Police...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

buffalo wrote: »
    Also, I passed a couple of cyclist dismount signs today and I was wondering if they're enforceable? I've never seen a re-mount sign, so as long as I dismount for an inch or two...

(I'm pretty sure we've covered this ground before.)

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/road-sign-leaves-welsh-speakers-bewildered-2321082

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Section at top of O'Connell St as you go round to the front of the Rotunda is quite ropey, in my opinion. You have to pass 4 tracks but it is tough to pass over them crossways (if you know what I mean) as they kinda of follow you around, so you are nearly taking them diagonally but they curve (I know I am not explaining it very well but believe me it is uncomfortable). Whatever about in the dry. in the wet it is going to be dangerous

generally find it ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

buffalo wrote: »
    Also, I passed a couple of cyclist dismount signs today and I was wondering if they're enforceable? I've never seen a re-mount sign, so as long as I dismount for an inch or two...

(I'm pretty sure we've covered this ground before.)

I think you're meant to get off, salute, get on again and pedal off.

I'm not sure about the salute bit though...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

jon1981 wrote: »
    The north quays are a joy to cycle now.

Apart from a few potholes and bad repair jobs that need to be sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭kirving

Lumen wrote: »
    Banning something without enforcement in order to mitigate against compo claims is a very Irish solution, and one that I approve of wholeheartedly.

There's two ways of looking at most things, and this is one way. The other is that the designers genuinely don't want to see a cyclist killed after sliding under a Luas. Everyone has to make concessions for an integrated transport network in a predefined space, and for cyclists, the tracks certainly pose a significant risk.

There are infill rubber materials that can be added to existing tracks, and these should definitely be tested.

• Advertisement

There's several sections where all traffic is banned except for the Luas. Section behind the Four Courts is another.You still see some headbangers cycling or driving on it[/URL].

Looks like it's probably a Garda car using in there as it's next to the Garda station. Same way they use it by Bus Aras.

I think we need a Stuttgart solution. Luas with a bike carrier. Can't see people obeying rules and not riding on it though.

1001-c-stut-mt.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That would be full of fools everyday and bikes would be stripped off also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They just need to get those "Be Polite" hi viz like the cyclone guys, then they can act how they want - footpaths, pedestrianised areas, mandatory cycle lines all ok, presumable because the font looks like Police...

But not very like 'Garda'...so a bit stupid in Ireland!

I do agree that some of those Cyclone motorbike guys think they can do what they want and don't get me started on the couriers on the cargo bikes....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

On College Street, the road and Luas are separate. But people are cycling on the luas track and then merging onto the road without checking the traffic coming from the right.

Some one will die before xmas there.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Don't get me started on the couriers on the cargo bikes....

Brakes seem to be disabled on courier's cargo bikes, they don't seem to stop for anything.

On College Street, the road and Luas are separate. But people are cycling on the luas track and then merging onto the road without checking the traffic coming from the right.

I often use the Luas section to get by the sitting traffic. I'm pretty smart about checking before merging though. And I have seem cyclists and bus drivers have stand offs at that merge. But then I found bus drivers always pretty bad on that section since works began.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Effects wrote: »
    I often use the Luas section to get by the sitting traffic. I'm pretty smart about checking before merging though. And I have seem cyclists and bus drivers have stand offs at that merge. But then I found bus drivers always pretty bad on that section since works began.

Aye but the buses have the green light to go straight on, is there a light for the luas there? There must be or the luas will crash with a car/bus in December!!!!

Advertisement