Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness retention and recovery after enforced training lapse

• 05-10-2017 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭

So , I was up to 18 miles reasonably comfortably and was targeting 3:40ish in DCM this year for my first attempt, half best time is 1:42

Not hugely fast but was on a good upward curve and had been training on and of since last autumn(occasional injuries and sickness) so i think I had a pretty reasonable fitness base.

All that changed three weeks ago when i was struck by a car when out jogging from behind. Thankfully nothing broken but pretty severe bruising and swelling around my core.
    I'm able to walk reasonably comfortably in the last few days but still some swelling in places and still quite painfull when strolling a reasonable pace.
    I'd say it will be at least another three weeks before i'll be able to start jogging again, so about 6 weeks without much exercise with the first 2.5 completely couch potato because i basically couldnt move at all without a lot of pain.

I've gone 2 or 3 weeks in the past without running due to injury niggles but fitness came back very quickly, within two weeks I would say I was back fighting fit.

But 6 weeks or more, is anything retained?

TLDR: After six weeks or more of being pretty sedentary is any fitness retained?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

First of all, very sorry to hear about your accident but I'm glad you got off without any major damage.

As for the loss of fitness, you roughly lose fitness at the same rate as you gain it, so 6 weeks of a break will set you back but certainly not to 0.

I had an injury 2 years ago that stopped me from running for 6 weeks. I obviously lost a lot of fitness but was still able to complete a major race on 8 weeks of training after that.

You can still do DCM but forget about your time target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks TFBubendorfer, thats encouraging, was really hoping someone would say its not all lost!! :)
    To be honest I'd rather not have a miserable experience in DCM 2017 even if I am recovered by then as I'll not be in great shape, albeit not completely a lardball.
    I had already signed up for the Connemarathon next April so am mentally preparing for that, DCM 2018 will come around and next year will be a year of PB's!, am determined not to let this sway me from running, just will be very much more careful on the roads whenever I do get back running.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Bloody hell, very sorry to hear that! No advice to offer but good luck with the recovery and the return to running!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

I had an injury 2 years ago that stopped me from running for 6 weeks. I obviously lost a lot of fitness but was still able to complete a major race on 8 weeks of training after that.

Very similar story, last year I was out for 6/7 weeks and only managed 8 weeks of training before DCM so any goal time was out the window. My slowest Marathon but I knew that would be the case, it was actually the most enjoyable of all the marathons I've done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Slightly different scenario but I took several months off when i had my last baby. I did lose fitness naturally but it wasn't like starting from scratch again. For example my 5k was 25:0x before baby and after baby (roughly 6 months off) i ran a 5k to see where i was and came in 27:1x (I was thrilled just to be able run 5k and sub 30 was a bonus) and within 3 months i got a new pb 24:5x (with non-specific intermittent running).

The training you've done for DCM 2017 is not wasted.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Supercell wrote: »
    Thanks TFBubendorfer, thats encouraging, was really hoping someone would say its not all lost!! :)
    To be honest I'd rather not have a miserable experience in DCM 2017 even if I am recovered by then as I'll not be in great shape, albeit not completely a lardball.
    I had already signed up for the Connemarathon next April so am mentally preparing for that, DCM 2018 will come around and next year will be a year of PB's!, am determined not to let this sway me from running, just will be very much more careful on the roads whenever I do get back running.

You could still do DCM just for the enjoyment, jog around and soak up the atmosphere etc

That's what i'm doing, had a very stop start summer with injuries and am nowhere near where i was earlier this year. I'm just using DCM as a long run on the road back to fitness. Pressure of trying to hit a time target is off and tbh i'm quite looking forward to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

ariana` wrote: »
    Slightly different scenario but I took several months off when i had my last baby. I did lose fitness naturally but it wasn't like starting from scratch again. For example my 5k was 25:0x before baby and after baby (roughly 6 months off) i ran a 5k to see where i was and came in 27:1x (I was thrilled just to be able run 5k and sub 30 was a bonus) and within 3 months i got a new pb 24:5x (with non-specific intermittent running).

The training you've done for DCM 2017 is not wasted.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thanks ariana, that really gives me hope!!
    Maybe I should just aim to do a really slow run/jog this year in DCM after all and get the t-shirt and an easy target to PB next year on :D
    I'll see how things feel in a week or two, maybe i'll be able to manage a slow shuffle around Kilbogget park :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I had an enforced lay off this summer as well -- I'd echo Ariana in saying I lost a lot of fitness, but it's not like starting from scratch.

I had a week or two of nearly no exertion, then started to be able to walk a mile, built up to two. After 8 weeks of no running was allowed to try a jog. Run/walking a mile felt like climbing Everest. That was four or five weeks ago, and since then it's been getting steadily easier, parkrun times coming down etc. When I first started running, it took me way longer to build up to 5k than it has this time.

You'll get back, but take it easy, do what you're told (if your under any medical supervision) and build back up steadily. Good luck! Sorry about your accident!

Advertisement